The Escapist Reader's Choice GotY 2013 Recap and Winners!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
And where is the large influx of new forum users we were promised? You know, the whole point in having the event in the first place?

Oh right, they all left as soon as they voted, just like I said they would.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
IceForce said:
And where is the large influx of new forum users we were promised? You know, the whole point in having the event in the first place?

Don't worry, they'll be back next year.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
IceForce said:

Note: I'm using a join date of December 2013 as my guessing point since I don't have a way to confirm if they joined because of GotY or if it's just a coincidence:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Mainline421
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Tzzimy
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Dangoesforth
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/motiff
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Mik%20Sunrider

And this is only from the last few pages of the "Last of Us V. Papers Please" thread (page 15-18). This is also just new people who have posted so it doesn't include lurkers. I could do this all day I suppose but I think you get my point.

Yes, there are people who voted and ran. However, you can't ignore the people it brings in just because it conflicts with what you hate about the contest.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
IceForce said:

There's always a few that stick around, even if they vanish for a bit at first. You'll be reading some post or other in a couple years from someone who has thousands of posts, and you'll realize "Hey, they joined in December of 2013..."

At any rate, the Escapist got thousands and thousands of ad views from that competition, so that's all well and good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
Has anyone else noticed that the winner of the bracket contest, adios, only signed up in late November and has yet to make a single post?
My God...

...WE'RE BEING INFILTRATED BY A HORDE OF PSYCHICS! D:

The Escapist has always had a huge number of lurkers. It was probably a long-time reader thinking "Hey, free stuff, and I think I know what'll happen..."

No interest in posting, but you better believe (s)he was checking back every damn day during the contest.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I somewhat hope that we won't go through this again.
I mean so much ... evil came out from this.

The threads for the GotY spawned in zerglings which rushed the polls and died in the same amount of time they joined in. Sure some were there and stubborn to defend their game like hydralisks they were. I'm just worried that the base will spawn in even more next/this year. Heck the threads even turned some of our better users into ultralisks who would demolish anything which would get in the way of their Game of the Year.

The game I thought deserved GotY wasn't there ... but that didn't matter, it is still GotY to me, so you know I guess personal opinion is the thing that matters here.

As for The Last of Us, I thought it was a overrated game (Just like Bioshock Infinite). Don't wish to get too much into it.
Still I did clap to Naughty Dog about their win ... then I immediately thought "So ... when are you going to do another Jak game?"

Still congratulations to them.
[sub][sub]May we never have to go through all that evil again. Otherwise the basement is going to flood with bodies.[/sub][/sub]

Caius

Oct 19, 2011
IceForce said:

You mean like the large influx of TLoU voters on the last day of the poll? Or the large influx of Papers, Please voters before that?

In any case, as always, some stay, some leave. It's not that big of a deal.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
You know what with the whole exclusive platform thing? I'm a PC gamer and I'm sure a lot of other PC gamers still voted TLoU, I think people are surprised because they expected console racism when really most gamers just love good games.

Actually I forget who I voted for but I remember struggling to pick out of the two. That it was such a close margin makes me thing that it was justified confusion.

But anyway I'd never hold console exclusivity against a game. If I really want to play something exclusive like TLoU I'd just borrow a friends console, as I did, to play it.

Anyway awesome result, two games I loved basically tieing. Well Played.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Having played Papers, I can understand what the whole fuzz was about, since the game truly feels like something unique (although it gave me some flashbacks to the Carmen Sandiego games). Still, TLOU remains the best thing I ever played in my life, so I'm glad it won at the very end.