The Escapist Show: Episode 44: Star Trek Phaser Project

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Episode 44: Star Trek Phaser Project

We put a real laser into a Star Trek phaser. Why? Because we can.

If you plan to build this project, click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/op-ed/6480-Instructions-for-Making-a-Star-Trek-Phaser].

This week's musical guests:

Ian Dorsch [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com] - "Escapist Show Theme"
Younnat [http://www.younnat.com] - "Old Movies Not Terrible" and "Doctor Verhovstev?s Dream"

Watch Video

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
STOP ENCOURAGING US!!!
People are morons. I thought the escapist knew well enough to not do crap like this?!

I want one...

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
aww damn, i'm already making wrist mounted flamethrowers, so i can't do this

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
What the...? You stole my cutters!
[small]Seriously, I have cutters just like that in my room (in a PC repair kit(I also have made network cables with them))[/small]
Other than that,...
Kajin said:
STOP ENCOURAGING US!!!
People are morons. I thought the escapist knew well enough to not do crap like this?!

I want one...
My thoughts exactly, minus the capacity for critical thought thing.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
I already built something like that, I built a chassis to hold several dvd drive (grade 2 I think), they were aimed at certain points on a reflective concave frame to concentrate on a reflective centre which fired the beam outwards. You could burn through loads of stuff with this, I think I reached around 400oC if memory serves before it burnt out.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Wow you lot just got a whole lot more awesome, not just to find those friends who did electronics and get them on it

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Ah, that's definitely awesome, if only I had the know-how to pull that off successfully, I would definitely try. But in all honesty, I'd probably get about 1/3 of the way through before my wife shuts the project down. :(

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Okay - that's weak. I'm not going to say that I can do anything better, but seriously...who releases a how-to video with a product that doesn't work when you're done. "But trust me, its awesome" lol. Not to knock you guys, props on putting this together, but if my teacher can't do it I don't think I'll try it myself.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
KarmicToast said:
Okay - that's weak. I'm not going to say that I can do anything better, but seriously...who releases a how-to video with a product that doesn't work when you're done. "But trust me, its awesome" lol. Not to knock you guys, props on putting this together, but if my teacher can't do it I don't think I'll try it myself.
I had a high school health teacher put a condom on the end of a golf club to demonstrate safe sex. It broke. Does that mean you shouldn't use condoms?

Here's the thing - it works exactly as expected. However, I was hamfisted in my installation of a lens - a part that normally is installed by the laser supplier. Even the greatest chef can cut a finger off by simply not paying enough attention. If you decide to build one for yourself using this how-to, chances are overwhelmingly positive that yours will actually burn stuff, since you won't have to do that particular step.

I'll post on Youtube or something when my replacement lens comes in, if there is demand for results.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
As the Mythbusters remind us, even a failure is a result. Besides, now you know we're not faking it. :)

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Mr. Haines looks kind of vaguely disappointed he didn't get the phaser to work properly. I would probably never make this, likely do to lack of need/appropriate level of Star Trek fandom, but I did sort of want to see it in action by the end.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
I had a high school health teacher put a condom on the end of a golf club to demonstrate safe sex. It broke. Does that mean you shouldn't use condoms?
Only on golf clubs.

Anywho.
Rather interesting, I just don't have the proper tools for that anymore. Although I am rather happy I took a course that taught me electronics and all that fun stuff in high school. At least there is a chance of getting it made if I'm up to it.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
I'd just make it so that there was a laser light inside, pull the trigger and get a red beam.

but that was wicked cool! i wish you had shown the actual burning instead of just saying it will burn them, though.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
This is information that you should NEVER disclose to me, or 90% of internet users.
Now I a must go make one...

I love the recent trend to how-to videos, first the PS3 SSD, now this. Keep up the how to videos, but at your current rate, what will next week's be? Something even more deadly? Keep them coming! :D

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oh good grief. XD.

As much as I've contemplated doing this at some point, I never got beyond the idea of a laser pointer...

Making one powerful enough to burn things?

Let's just say I suspect it'd get me arrested around here. XD.