The Escapist Show: Episode 44: Star Trek Phaser Project

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
" So this thing is actually dangerous? Why are we making this!?"

Haha. I laughed so hard at this part.

And you're making this because we're all pyromaniacs at heart, and the fact it's intergrated into a Star Trek toy makes it all the more awesome.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Way back in the day when I was taking shop class, they had this computer program called EKI. It was probably the most well-explained ground-up tutorial of basic electronics I had ever seen. It came with a solderless circuitboard kit and all sorts of other goodies.

It was responsible for me getting into the otherwise impenetrable world of electronics. Had I not found that program I would have probably never have been able to get a foothold (like when I tried to learn programming.)

Anyways, yeah when the internet became a household neccessity long after university I tried to find EKI or a course like it to no avail. Quite a shame.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Love the thing with Pacard in the credits xD. just added a nice little finishing guffaw to my little chuckles throughout. Nice stuff guys.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I always thought the model that preceded the regular TOS model was rather cool (The Cage, and at least one other TOS episode). Majel Barrett was rather badass with hers.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I wonder if you could have fitted a bigger, more powerful and dangerous laser on a Star Wars themed blaster. You know so you can burn all the Kirk Loving, Spock Suckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDSb5LvDL2M[/youtube]

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
KarmicToast said:
Okay - that's weak. I'm not going to say that I can do anything better, but seriously...who releases a how-to video with a product that doesn't work when you're done. "But trust me, its awesome" lol. Not to knock you guys, props on putting this together, but if my teacher can't do it I don't think I'll try it myself.
I had a high school health teacher put a condom on the end of a golf club to demonstrate safe sex. It broke. Does that mean you shouldn't use condoms?

Here's the thing - it works exactly as expected. However, I was hamfisted in my installation of a lens - a part that normally is installed by the laser supplier. Even the greatest chef can cut a finger off by simply not paying enough attention. If you decide to build one for yourself using this how-to, chances are overwhelmingly positive that yours will actually burn stuff, since you won't have to do that particular step.

I'll post on Youtube or something when my replacement lens comes in, if there is demand for results.
Hey man, sorry if I sounded like an asshole, You're obviously 20 times smarter than I am so I know I have no room to judge. I just thought it was a little funny. So again, sorry, didn't mean to sound like a dick.

Zen Lancer

Sep 3, 2009
For those of you playing at home, there is a wonderful snippet of the Picard song & video during the credits. I know it made my day.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
KarmicToast said:
Hey man, sorry if I sounded like an asshole, You're obviously 20 times smarter than I am so I know I have no room to judge. I just thought it was a little funny. So again, sorry, didn't mean to sound like a dick.
No harm done - sorry to snap at you, but I was really disappointed and embarrassed that we could only show you guys a non-working phaser.

Feel free to PM me for build tips if you decide to make one of your own. It's certainly not easy, but you might have a better result if there's no camera crew to make you nervous.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Hmm what kind of diode laser is it, out of curiosity? Quantum well, quantum cascade, double heterostructure, what?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
midnightalone said:
So many kids are goin to do something stupid with this is not even funny
-M
One would hope that if they're clever enough to do it and make it work (even the tiniest mistake renders the phaser virtually harmless), one would hope they're clever enough not to do anything stupid with it.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
umm not to be a party pooper or nothing but KipKay sorta made this like a year or more ago..
and his actually burns stuff =(

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
phoenix352 said:
umm not to be a party pooper or nothing but KipKay sorta made this like a year or more ago..
and his actually burns stuff =(
He's in the credits for his original concepts that led to this design. (Blu-Ray Phaser, Cheapie Laser Lighter) However, his phaser actually doesn't burn anything, though he has successfully burnt stuff with his other laser-based projects.

In the video, I use this phrasing several times: "like / unlike other designs on the internet." It is meant to illustrate that there are indeed similarities, but also key differences and improvements to the KipKay phaser design.

k-ossuburb said:
I wonder if I could use this concept to make a cigarette lighter.
You could, and in fact, KipKay has done it. You probably shouldn't though, since you'd be pointing a high-powered laser dangerously close to your eyes and face. Totally not worth the risk.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
First the wrist-mounted flame-throwers, now this. The Geek shall inherit the earth, probably by horrific, gruesome means.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
midnightalone said:
So many kids are goin to do something stupid with this is not even funny
-M
One would hope that if they're clever enough to do it and make it work (even the tiniest mistake renders the phaser virtually harmless), one would hope they're clever enough not to do anything stupid with it.
Been smart enough to put this together correctly and been clever enough not to do something stupid with it afterwards are not always the same thing // But you do make a good point and only time willtell

-M