The Escapist Show: Episode 47: Funny Gaming Moments

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Episode 47: Funny Gaming Moments

This week we go around The Escapist office to see what gaming tomfoolery the staff has been involved in.

This week's musical guests:
Ian Dorsch [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com] - "Escapist Show Theme"
Mr. Tunes [http://www.mrtunes.ca] - "Videogames Consume Children" and ?Yoshi Valley Transit Co-Op?

Watch Video

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I can't help but imagine the bunny scenario described as this:

It just fits

[ESC] Kross: I have a knack for dying in creative ways (accidentally) in video games
[ESC] Kross: I love that two of the stories were about me dying
[ESC] Kross: and one of the ones that got cut was about me almost dying in Gears during a berserker fight
[ESC] Danny Ocean: Hahaha
[ESC] Kross: nah, was playing split screen
[ESC] Kross: and on the other player's screen was me running back and forth
[ESC] Kross: and then a second later, the berserker running across
[ESC] Kross: with me screaming the whole time
[ESC] Danny Ocean: Scooby-doo style?
[ESC] Kross: yeah
[ESC] Danny Ocean rolls around laughing.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I seem to have a knack for dying in hilarious ways while gaming. :/

Edit: I could cast a mean ankh when I was raiding in WoW.

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
I always find it amusing when I play Dungeon Keeper 2... I play until fairly late at night, and eventually even the game starts telling me to go to bed.

Charlie_Brown

Jan 16, 2009
Four player multiplayer Mario Kart 64, Wario Stadium, Blue Shells, Lighting and that jump.

Hilarity :)

zerzxes

Apr 14, 2009
i love go suicide bombing with grenades... its best when you just hold a 'nade and you die and someone goes to your body to blow up! pwned! :D

wikicated

Jun 7, 2009
i was watching tv during the credits then i hear a battle cry look down just in time to see a dwarf get hit by a battle axe i still laughing

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i agree whit funk, everything in 4 in the morning at a lan is funny, cause your partly drunk, sleepy and high on sugar, even knock knock jokes are hilarious then.

my funniest moment in gaming was when i first showed l4d to a friend, and after half an hour we encounter our first tank, my mate trows shoot at him/it 2 times scream "FUUUUCK" and starts running, managing to start a car alarm on the way, die, and then the horde/tank/hunter kills the rest of us.

in fact every other game of l4d someone dies in a funny way, whether its when they are 2ft from the tank/plane/boat/helicopter or if the group encounter 4+ specials at the same time

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
wikicated said:
i was watching tv during the credits then i hear a battle cry look down just in time to see a dwarf get hit by a battle axe i still laughing
The rest of that clip is pretty funny as well:
<youtube=tB8VMNymEPA>

silicon avatar

Aug 3, 2009
The funniest game I ever played had to have been the Bards Tale. the whole game was filled with jokes. And besides your playing a bard, its the most pathetic D&D class ever. even the Druid laughs at the bards mediocrity.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
I still have one of the best D&D stories.

I was just watching, there was a magic staff and the resident gnome decided to give it a try (which I was later told you just do not do). He "catastrophically fails" twice in a row, or whatever that's called, so the DM said he football spiked it into a nearby cursed area.

The gnome was incased in a bubble and tranported to the "plane of neverending war," or whatever, and the resident deity shoves his extremely long fingernail down the gnomes throught which destroies the gnomes body and his soul becomes enslaved to the deity.

Back to the rest of the party... Two GIGANTIC elementals, one shadow and one water, come out of nowhere. They have a very cool battle and the water elemental wins. He then flooded the dungeon, which ejected the party. Now they have to find out how to get the water elemental home or he will kill all of them.

That was a hell of a thing.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
The radio thing was actually how I passed the missle turret level, since I was under the mistaken impression that the walls around the missle turret could not be portaled I needed some other way to break the glass. I got the radio moving to top speed via ceiling and floor portals then put an exit portal on the wall opposite me and the radio shot out and broke the glass, allowing me to pass the obstacle.

My funniest gaming moment however is this...

<youtube=5skxfFfFZsQ>

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Late night WoW incident waiting for some pvp since it was late at night and not a lot of people were on so were in Undercity(pre expansion days) and somehow one of the guys in the group falls through the elavator floor and the fall kills him. So he goes wtf and goes back to get his body. Next thing you know same thing more or less happens, he spawns elavator picks em up he no clips through and dies. A this point he's pissed he goes back and does it again but this time the Elavator comes down ontop of him and kills him.

Everybody starts cracking up since he's getting corpse camped by the elavator.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
For me, I'd have to say "Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal" (that's the expansion) for including the "Wild Mage" character class. That class was made for failure, as at any time there's about a 1 in 20 chance of your spell not working and generating a completely random effect. For example: my party was battling a dragon and my character (Wild Mage) is the big damage-dealer (Magic Missile was very effective in that game for some reason). Inevitably I get a "wild surge" and a random effect happens: my mage turns into a squirrel. The battle didn't go well after that. So I reloaded and tried again, but this time I get a wild surge right off the bat and suddenly everyone in my party is covered in a swarm of biting insects. :p

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
i've had about 25 people laughing at me on tf2, i repeatedly blamed the walls for me dying to my own rockets X_X

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Susan reminds me of my school librarian...

and funnily enough, I never have tried putting stuff into the endless "portal loop". Just myself, and I always end up hitting the edge of the portal...

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I was playing on "Angband" with the sound effects option turned on, playing it through the speakers. My Brother (who was also being watched by my Sister at the time) was playing some horror game right next to the computer I was playing on. I think it was "Resident Evil" or "Fatal Frame", I can't remember. However, to anyone that *HAS* heard the sound effects used in "Angband" would probably guess that is not the best thing to hear during a horror game.

Sure enough, various sound effects would pop up, like the dying moan of a monster or clanging of swords that would interrupt my Brother from his game to turn toward me and yell at me like it was my fault, somehow. The "final straw" was broken when my character had a loosing battle against an explosively breeding mice in a large room. At the time, I didn't know what the "death" scream was in "Angband", until I realized it was the death cry your character makes in "DOOM". I think my Brother was playing an extremely horrifying moment in his game when that scream was heard, with both of my siblings (Brother and Sister) turning toward me and yelling at me for dying in my game!

*Sighs* Somewhat embarrassing to die that way, but at least my character was able to piss of my siblings. xD