The Escapist Show: Escapist 36: Wallace and Gromit

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Escapist 36: Wallace and Gromit

This week, The Escapist Show is in San Francisco to talk to the fine people at Telltale Games.

This week's musical guest:

Ian Dorsch [http://www.willowtreeaudio.com] - "Escapist Show Theme"

Watch Video

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting.

Personally, I didn't like Telltale's Wallace & Gromit games (I played the first one) but I can't put my finger on a good reason, other than Wallace isn't voiced by peter Sallis. Although I did enjoy the previous W&G game, Project Zoo.

It might be Telltale's style but it just makes me a bit worried about the new Monkey Island episodes.

Maybe I'll give them another try.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
You know, I like Telltale Games. They continue to provide adventure games of decent quality, providing light-hearted humor in a games industry chalked full of pseudo philosophical, testosterone-fueled bullshit. I think they're what the games industry needs. I haven't played any of their games really (sort of discrediting my statement of "decent quality") but I honestly want to play all of them. Especially SBCGfAP as a huge Strong Bad fan.

It also seems that ValvE could take a lesson from Telltale on how to do episodic gaming.
Apparently some people think they butchered Sam and Max but I'd still like to play it.

LeChuckie

Apr 23, 2009
This video doesn't really do TT justice. I have bought every single game and they are pretty awesome, Tales of Monkey Island is out today folks!

Mar 26, 2009
Hmmm, I never really saw Wallace and Gromit as an adventure game. Most games based of children's programmes (well hardly children, it's Wallace and Gromit) as platformers, but it's good to see a ompany deviating from the same "slap the models in and a few obstacles".
On a completely unrelated note, is it just me or does the co-founder look like Gordon Freeman? Suppose he had to get a job after all the Half Life series was over.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
I love TellTale. Their titles are polished, fun, clever, and frequent. Just how I like my games.

And the StrongBad games were brilliant.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
LeChuckie said:
This video doesn't really do TT justice. I have bought every single game and they are pretty awesome, Tales of Monkey Island is out today folks!
Telltale have no download link.
Well, they didn't when I looked earlier.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Awww, no cats at the end? We I play fright of the bumble bees or whatever and I didn't really like it.... I do like Wallace and Gromit, but the games have yet to change my mind.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Telltale really won me over with sam and max so I have yet to play these new ones but they dont sound horrible. Hopefully its at least halfway decent.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Shamus Young said:
I love TellTale. Their titles are polished, fun, clever, and frequent. Just how I like my games.

And the StrongBad games were brilliant.
The Wallace and Gromit series I'm liking alot, currently on the third of the current season (I assume they'll do more after the season is over). That said, the Sam and Max games wheren't quite right to me - maybe its because there was relatively little source material to work off - only the original game and the cartoon series.

As for the Strong Bad games, I get the impression I'd like them more if I knew the comic series more. That said, I'm very much looking forward to their Monkey Island series - a final return for one of the best point-n-click adventures to date.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I know the golden gate bridge is internationally recognisable, but I still think they should paint it gold or at the very least yellow...

I'm very weary when someone says they want to make a game that is like a movie, it usually means gameplay gets neglected.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
carnkhan4 said:
I know the golden gate bridge is internationally recognisable, but I still think they should paint it gold or at the very least yellow...
This got me thinking as to why it is actually called that, apparenetly we have the Byzantiums to thank for it.

On 1 July 1846, before the discovery of gold in California, the entrance acquired a new name. In his memoirs, John C. Frémont wrote, "To this Gate I gave the name of "Chrysopylae", or "Golden Gate"; for the same reasons that the harbor of Byzantium was called Chrysoceras, or Golden Horn."

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Awesome! I've been a fan of the TellTale studio since they first were created from a bunch of old Lucasarts workers. I adore the Sam and Max series and i cant wait to play the new Monkey island. I have to wait though cause I'm working. *mumble mumble mumble draw draw draw*

-Jon

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Sam and Max were cool but the Wallace and Gromit ones dont really look fun..

And I missed the credits kitties :)

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
I ♥ Wallace and Gromit. How much different is the voice of Wallace compared to the actual show, Cpt. Oblivious?

disillusion_me

Jun 21, 2009
Tell tale makes wonderfully refreshing humourfull games best being sam and max and with wallace and grommit also being fantastic i highly reccomend!