The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Susan

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Susan

Pull up a cookie and warm your feet by the fire, 'cause here comes Susan Arendt's list of her top five favorite games from this past year.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Am confused by Bow Street screenshot with #3 beside it. Does that refer to episode 3 of the series, or did you make a last second switch-up of Dead Space and Bow Street Runna'z?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Unorthodox choices...

Though I think we all knew Persona 4 was going to be on there, in fact, it's probably going to be on a lot of "top" lists this year,

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Clemenstation said:
Am confused by Bow Street screenshot with #3 beside it. Does that refer to episode 3 of the series, or did you make a last second switch-up of Dead Space and Bow Street Runna'z?
No, I made the art before I'd had any coffee at all. This, clearly was a mistake.

Apologies. Lemme jus' go ahead an fix that...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
I have to agree with your number 1 Susan, LBP has definately been my favourite game of 2008.
I just haven't been able to really sink my teeth into LBP, it's plenty fun, I just haven't found it amazing... maybe I have some deep seated dislike of platformers... who knows.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
I just haven't been able to really sink my teeth into LBP, it's plenty fun, I just haven't found it amazing... maybe I have some deep seated dislike of platformers... who knows.
Well to be honest, I haven't found any game this year to be amazing, LBP included. However, LBP has been the most fun for me, so hence the reason it's my favourite game this year. Plus some of the levels people have made are mightly impressive and they help keep the game nice and fresh.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I found LBP to be pretty ho-hum until we got some two-player co-op going, with several additional spectators. You're more likely to pull stupid stunts for fan approval, such as 'accidentally' falling off a racing skateboard for laughs or ruining the timing of a set of simultaneous swing jumps. The whole thing wallows in silliness and then someone else wants to jump in and play and before you know it, you stayed in and played video games instead of going to the bar with $20 cover. Win!

But yeah, the next day I tried playing alone again and it wasn't nearly as good.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
I really can't agree with Susans choice, well, Dead Space isn't bad I suppose.
Well, Susan isn't exactly Yahtzee, I'm pretty sure she actually enjoys games.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Isn't that illegal?

Although, I'm going to disagree with some of the selection mostly because I have a lot of differing opinions. Nothing against Susan Arendt, just a clashing of tastes.

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
NewClassic said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Isn't that illegal?

Although, I'm going to disagree with some of the selection mostly because I have a lot of differing opinions. Nothing against Susan Arendt, just a clashing of tastes.
Definately, each to their own game preferences or we'd see a pretty stagnant gaming industry. I tend to like Susan's reviews and tastes even if I haven't played any of those 5 ><
Time to go try 4 & 5.

Do you know if any other Escapist staff are to post their top 5?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
sirdanrhodes said:
I never said she was Yahtzee, it's everyone to their own, I just don't like the majority of the games on this list.

Try arguing freedom of speech on 4chan :(

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
NewClassic said:
Isn't that illegal?
On this site I think it might be...
Man. I broke the law on every single one of my reviews, except for maybe my review of FF VII, if you count "Eh, it was alright" as "enjoy" or not.

Hrm... Very well, I will heartily join Susan in illegally enjoying games.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
NewClassic said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
NewClassic said:
Isn't that illegal?
On this site I think it might be...
Man. I broke the law on every single one of my reviews, except for maybe my review of FF VII, if you count "Eh, it was alright" as "enjoy" or not.

Hrm... Very well, I will heartily join Susan in illegally enjoying games.
Way to start a revolution, the masses shall be shocked by people who actually "enjoy" playing videogames instead of just saying how much they hate them.

Review wise I'm in the same boat, I tend not to finish games I don't like and hence I don't review them.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Varchld said:
NewClassic said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
sirdanrhodes said:
Isn't that illegal?

Definately, each to their own game preferences or we'd see a pretty stagnant gaming industry. I tend to like Susan's reviews and tastes even if I haven't played any of those 5 ><
Time to go try 4 & 5.

Do you know if any other Escapist staff are to post their top 5?
*proudly breakin' the law, breakin' the law....

Yes, other members of the staff will be chiming in with their choices throughout the week. You may feel free to disagree with them, too. :)

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Where can one get this "Bow Street Runners", the concept is very interesting.
Unless I am mistaken, it is a flash game, found here [http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/C/city-of-vice/game/index.html]. I encourage Susan to correct me if I'm wrong, though.