The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Greg

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Greg

Here are Greg's favorite games of 2009 A.D.

Read Full Article

Lord Hawkeye

Mar 18, 2009
interesting choices. not a wii fan myself but dragon age and Wow certainly eat up a lot of my time.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
cool stuff, though I don't personally agree with it, at least its obvious that its obvious that the choices were made by an actual human being... That is, unlike gametrailer's Game of the Year choices (along with best PS3, 360, and PC game), which might as well have been chosen by ROBO.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, its obvious that you're going with your gut, and choosing what you liked, not the critics. Good for you!

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
That's one of the most interesting lists I've seen. I can't say I agree, but it's more interesting than every list having Modern Warfare 2 or Uncharted 2.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Always refeshing to see someone whose not afraid to openly admit to enjoy wii titles. Instead of all the Yahtzee sheep you get on this site. ^^

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I'm loving that most of the eds are going a bit out of the box for these choices rather than just the same games that we all know got amazing 'scores'.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OmegaXIII said:
I'm loving that most of the eds are going a bit out of the box for these choices rather than just the same games that we all know got amazing 'scores'.
Is it not odd how the most critically acclaimed titles are then slated for being bestowed the honour?

Personally, I agree far more with the likes of Arkham and AC2 then Wii Sports Resort, but each to their own (it is a favourites list after all).

The majority have had DA:Origins in their list, which I haven't played; are the characters really as stiff (personality-wise) as they appear in gameplay videos? And the voice-acting has been commended but from what I've seen (or should that be heard?) a lot of it is pretty dire.

comadorcrack said:
Instead of all the Yahtzee sheep you get on this site. ^^
So now we can't talk ill of the Wii without showing we have no mind of our own?

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Wait, did you just call Legend Of Zelda an RPG? Huh. Anyways, weird choices by my point of view, party games aren't really my thing. Except Guitar Hero, but I play that alone anyway... A lot.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Did you seriously juast make that lame "2010" joke?

Anyway, glad to see I'm not thew only person who found "Punch-Out!!" in my yearly top five.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
OmegaXIII said:
Is it not odd how the most critically acclaimed titles are then slated for being bestowed the honour?

Personally, I agree far more with the likes of Arkham and AC2 then Wii Sports Resort, but each to their own (it is a favourites list after all).
You do make a very good point. The whole stigma behind the mainstream is an interesting and often paradoxical one. I think it might relate to how 'one man's trash is another's treasure' and the inevitable desire for people to shout if they disagree with something they feel they have valid opinion on.

However i often feel the need to criticse 'scoring' of a game because as you said 'each to their own.' I feel the only way a game can be good is in the eye of the beholder, i own a few games that got ripped to shreds (scorewise) in reviews that i really enjoy. Similarly i have played some that received perfect 10s and thought they were garbage.

It'd be interesting to see what reviews would be like if instead of a score a summary of 'who would like this game' were offered.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You cheater, making WoW's 3.2 patch the winner.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm right there with you. Ulduar can go to hell.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
I must say, I have never read a list that made me boil with more rage. Patch 3.2 seriously has screwed over my guild, and I hate it when people call Zelda an RPG, and sports games get a bad rap for a reason - stagnation. Why can't they ever create a new sport for a video game? Well, Wii sports Resort does that at least a little, but you've got human safety laws and budget out the window, why does nobody take advantage of that instead of remaking a popular sport? Now I'm ranting. Excuse me.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Figures a casual would like the 3.2 patch. Since Call of the Crusade basically solidified the FREE EPICS FOR EVERYONE! attitude that WoW has taken, you can now do even less work for even better gear. I can now put a face to the type of player that ruined WoW.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Well, since we have only had 3.3 for a couple of weeks, I can definately see why he chose 3.2. Me? I see that there was very little actual content in 3.2 that was worth it. One new place that was playable on 5, 10 and 25 man versions, and some pvp content (which can totally be ignored like the rest). Yes, they introduced heroic versions of each of that dungeon. That really confused some people who had always been on heroic when doing 25 man raids. Then there was the whole emblem of conquest/triumph thing. People ran new dungeons for the chance to get some triumphs. Later in the patch we got new Onyxia fights and the Vaults completely opened up, which was pretty damn nice. Oh, we still ran Ulduar for gear and to experience the fights (which were on the whole, much tougher than ToC) but it was alot quicker and in many cases alot less expensive just to do a ToC run. ToGC was another matter entirely. Pretty darn tough in heroic mode.

Then 3.3 came and made the lower raids rather obsolete. Why run Naxx or Ulduar for 200 and 219 gear when you can run the new 5 mans on heroic and get 232 gear? That's pretty much the equivelent of ToC 10 man gear. Conquest emblems stopped dropping, and instead we got triumphs from all heroics... People can gear themselves pretty well by just running chain random heroics and buying triumph gear from the vendors. The new content is pretty good, although the third 5 man will abuse your gear on heroic for all but the best parties. The new gear is pretty darn good. The free emblems of frost for doing daily random dungeons and the cross server lfg makes running things pretty easy, although ninja looting is at an all time high. With 6 lvl 80's myself, I'm not gonna get them all geared with 260 odd level gear, but I could take a few of them and gear them up beyond the lvl 200 gear most of them are in. WoW is by no means ruined. Let's see cataclysm before we call that truth.

Oh, and I've hated nintendo systems since 1997. Bringing back the power glove will do nothing to impress me, but I'm disappointed that Microsoft and Sony have followed suite. Next they will show us a lackluster showing by third party companies to produce quality games utilizing that technology. Do I HOPE it fails? Yep. Sad but true.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
some titles there i wouldn't find amusing or at least not top 5 amusing.

and 3.2 was actually the patch that made me quit, not because it got casual but because suddenly i realized how pointless the last few months of raiding and staying on top was.

razbuten363

Jun 23, 2009
Huh, haven't played any of the choices, but I've seen my friend play Dragon Age. Pretty bad game, but whatever. It's not my list. Also, Zelda's not an RPG.