The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Greg

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
harhol said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, its obvious that you're going with your gut, and choosing what you liked, not the critics. Good for you!
I'd say it's more obvious that he only played 5 games in 2009.
Or, more likely, people have different tastes. Gasp and shock!

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
harhol said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, its obvious that you're going with your gut, and choosing what you liked, not the critics. Good for you!
Taste is one thing, but his opinion is downright wrong, and I honestly feel pity for the guy for being so obsessed with WoW that a patch with a couple new daily quests made his top "game" of the year.

I mean yeah, casual gamers, despite how much I hate them, deserve their opinion too, but it certainly shouldn't be published on a site like this. I think that's what really fries me the most, is that this guy gets paid to write about video games when he doesnt even know what and RPG is.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Yvl9921 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
harhol said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Taste is one thing, but his opinion is downright wrong, and I honestly feel pity for the guy for being so obsessed with WoW that a patch with a couple new daily quests made his top "game" of the year.

I mean yeah, casual gamers, despite how much I hate them, deserve their opinion too, but it certainly shouldn't be published on a site like this. I think that's what really fries me the most, is that this guy gets paid to write about video games when he doesnt even know what and RPG is.
"His opinion is downright wrong." No it's not, it's an opinion. Plus, 3.2 added a lot more than just a few new dailies, it added a new raid, a new 5-man, new Heirlooms - all of which you'd know if you actually read it.

And yes, a guy who listed one of the most in-depth RPGs of the year as his #3 doesn't know what an RPG is. You should be ashamed of yourself for just assuming that your narrow-minded "hardcore" sensibilities define all gamers.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Yvl9921 said:
...You hate "casual" gamers? Why in Christ's name do you hate "casual" gamers? What the fuck have they done to you? I'm sure you're going to come back with a long list about how they've "dumbed down" whatever game you've been playing for years without considering that because you've been playing it for years, you might have become better at it, but c'mon, try to be original when you come back with an inevitably fucking stupid argument.

Besides, gamers are gamers. It doesn't matter if they're little kids that only play Team Fortress 2 for a few hours a week, or adults who can afford a whole range of games and consoles. A website for gamers shouldn't be made up of twelve year old "hardcore" gamers, just because they seem to be the only demographic that can't work out that other people like other things. A gaming magazine should be made up of people who like different kinds of games, from FPS to point and clicks.

Anyway, good list. Nice to see some Wii games on there (no MadWorld? Pity, I loved that game), and I enjoyed the Argent Crusade for something other than the standard aggro management and damage dealing. I'm still surprised Borderlands isn't on any of these lists, but there's still time!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
harhol said:
It's clearly not a matter of taste. He admits in the article that he hardly plays any other games because he plays WoW all the time (yet also casually... somehow). This is pretty disappointing for a "games editor" (whatever that means) and "freelance games journalist" on a supposedly serious site like this. One of the games isn't even from this year, three of them are casual Wii games, and as other posters have pointed out, he mislabelled Twilight Princess as an RPG. In a year when even Gamespot are pushing the boat out (Demon's Souls GOTY), this is bizarre and somewhat amateurish. I can only assume he's a friend of one of the editorial staff.
I can only assume you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Well no, I don't have to assume that, I know that.

I would like to refer you to this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note/6504-Publisher-s-Note-Laboring-at-The-Escapist], which describes just how difficult it is to get the job in question, and no one who wasn't qualified would have gotten it.

I'm so very sorry that people who actually work, have families and real-life commitments enjoy playing in real life meatspace with their friends on the DREADED CASUAL SCOURGE and they can't all play your beloved 50-hour JRPGs or Roguelikes.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Woodsey said:
OmegaXIII said:
I'm loving that most of the eds are going a bit out of the box for these choices rather than just the same games that we all know got amazing 'scores'.
Is it not odd how the most critically acclaimed titles are then slated for being bestowed the honour?

Personally, I agree far more with the likes of Arkham and AC2 then Wii Sports Resort, but each to their own (it is a favourites list after all).

The majority have had DA:Origins in their list, which I haven't played; are the characters really as stiff (personality-wise) as they appear in gameplay videos? And the voice-acting has been commended but from what I've seen (or should that be heard?) a lot of it is pretty dire.

comadorcrack said:
Instead of all the Yahtzee sheep you get on this site. ^^
So now we can't talk ill of the Wii without showing we have no mind of our own?
The voice acting in dragon age is at times stock at others quite exceptional they have freaking Simon Templeman (Kain from Soulreaver/Legacy of Kain

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
The Great JT said:
You cheater, making WoW's 3.2 patch the winner.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm right there with you. Ulduar can go to hell.
Indeed, and Algalon can go... kill some raids...
Man, i need to get my hunter to 80...
Op, I loved the list, most original by far

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Yvl9921 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
harhol said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

"His opinion is downright wrong." No it's not, it's an opinion. Plus, 3.2 added a lot more than just a few new dailies, it added a new raid, a new 5-man, new Heirlooms - all of which you'd know if you actually read it.

And yes, a guy who listed one of the most in-depth RPGs of the year as his #3 doesn't know what an RPG is. You should be ashamed of yourself for just assuming that your narrow-minded "hardcore" sensibilities define all gamers.
People often use the word "opinion" to mask falsehoods. He listed Zelda as an RPG; Zelda lacks the stats and leveling up that are inherent in all RPGs, therefore he doesn't know what an RPG is. And just because he put an RPG on his list doesnt make him know what he's talking about; I can say "Tungsten" but that doesn't make me a chemist.

And I know all too well what 3.2 is. It's a few new daily quests, new items (omg best xpac evar I get to wear new shirt) and two new instances; one of which was decent, but short; the other he has no business discussing since he isn't a raider. However, I, as a raider, can tell you - it sucks, and bored my guild to death, literally. Half of my best friends quit because of it. So you'll understand my ire, I hope.

And I'm a hard-mode gamer. Of course I'm going to hate casual gamers when all my favorite series turn into crap to compensate for the casuals' lack of effort, and I feel as though our demographic's market is being shunned for the sake of the casual boon. I'm not saying they're bad for the business (on the contrary) or that they don't deserve an opinion, but I certainly don't expect to see their opinions on the front page of such a respectable gaming site. Casual gamers aren't typically into the whole online game discussion thing, from what I understand.

Oh, and from the article you linked us to:
But The Escapist aims to celebrate the gaming lifestyle. That's what we write about, that's what we publish and that's what we hire for. So we don't just look for competent people. We look for competent people who get gamer culture. Non-gamers at The Escapist are like non-smokers at Phillip Morris: They'd better be willing to inhale a lot of secondhand game.
I think that helps my argument alot more than it helps yours.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Yvl9921 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Yvl9921 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
harhol said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

People often use the word "opinion" to mask falsehoods. He listed Zelda as an RPG; Zelda lacks the stats and leveling up that are inherent in all RPGs, therefore he doesn't know what an RPG is. And just because he put an RPG on his list doesnt make him know what he's talking about; I can say "Tungsten" but that doesn't make me a chemist.

And I know all too well what 3.2 is. It's a few new daily quests, new items (omg best xpac evar I get to wear new shirt) and two new instances; one of which was decent, but short; the other he has no business discussing since he isn't a raider. However, I, as a raider, can tell you - it sucks, and bored my guild to death, literally. Half of my best friends quit because of it. So you'll understand my ire, I hope.

And I'm a hard-mode gamer. Of course I'm going to hate casual gamers when all my favorite series turn into crap to compensate for the casuals' lack of effort, and I feel as though our demographic's market is being shunned for the sake of the casual boon. I'm not saying they're bad for the business (on the contrary) or that they don't deserve an opinion, but I certainly don't expect to see their opinions on the front page of such a respectable gaming site. Casual gamers aren't typically into the whole online game discussion thing, from what I understand.

Oh, and from the article you linked us to:
But The Escapist aims to celebrate the gaming lifestyle. That's what we write about, that's what we publish and that's what we hire for. So we don't just look for competent people. We look for competent people who get gamer culture. Non-gamers at The Escapist are like non-smokers at Phillip Morris: They'd better be willing to inhale a lot of secondhand game.
I think that helps my argument alot more than it helps yours.
Loosen your definitions and maybe Zelda can be considered an RPG. If you think of it as a game in which you play a role than it is a role-playing game. Don't be an elitist, not everyone has your definitions.

Secondly, What defines someone as qualified to talk about gaming? Are you more qualified than he is because you are 'hard-mode'? Instead of dismissing his opinions because they are different, consider them an oppurtunity to better your understanding of others.

Further, Your arguement against allowing casuals a chance to enjoy the same games as hardcore gamers sounds awfully familiar. Do you offer that arguement on the General discussion forums at the WoW site? Because once again, that's a very elitist mentality. And it really doesn't help anyone.

Oh, and I play WoW casually. I also discuss gaming on forums. Does playing casually make me less qualified to relate my opinions? Cause being hard-mode doesn't seem to have made any difference for yours.

OT: Don't give up hope Greg. Use of proper fencing form in Wii Sports Resort does have the potential to improve your results against other (more flailing inclined) players. It's always worked for me.

Lord Hawkeye

Mar 18, 2009
First and foremost, Zelda is not an RPG game? Wouldn't you consider gaining heart containers as a way of "leveling up"? Or upgrading Link's starter sword and tunic to stronger and more resistant gear exactly like going to the next town and buying better gear for the harder dungeons? Just because you don't gain X amount of xp for slaying the 38434 fel boar doesn't make it any less then an RPG. Lacking a big shiny lvl 99 with 653 Str and 345 Dex and yada yada yada does not remove it from the RPG category either.

Secondly, I highly doubt that the 3.2 patch was the single game changing moment that made half your buds quit playing Wow forever. Not every single patch that comes down Blizzard's mighty brown pipeline is going to be shaped and molded for a singular group within the gigantic gaming community that pays to play Wow. Just because you didn't get enough love from the latest patch does not mean that there isn't another patch coming down the line that will slate your "hardcore" thirst.

Thirdly, most people actually can't afford to play every day for 8 hours straight without some seriously neglection on other aspects of life. Whether it be ignoring friends/family/loved ones or as simple as school/work obligations, the idea of none stop focus on a game just doesn't hold merit for them. Hating someone simply because you lack most or all of these real life commitments is a rather poor way to go about things.

Qizma

Apr 14, 2009
Towards few previous comments, RPG has ment role playing game for me and the lack of a leveling system doesn't make zeldas any less roleplaying. Back in the days of N64 the immersiveness of Ocarina Of Time really got me sucked in to the role of Link while playing. For those hours spent gaming I was a part of the story 100%, thus I could say I was playing the role of link in a game.

Just because a game hasn't got the exact same mechanics as DA:eek:rigins or the Final Fantasy series it doesn't make it less of an rpg; the definition is quite loose. Bioshock had it's own little girls-mechanics, Zelda had to collect items. (Just as comparison, WoW's gearing and glyph systems)

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Loosen your definitions and maybe Zelda can be considered an RPG. If you think of it as a game in which you play a role than it is a role-playing game.
Then every game would be a RPG, and then what's the point of there being a genre for it?

Just because a game hasn't got the exact same mechanics as DA:eek:rigins or the Final Fantasy series it doesn't make it less of an rpg; the definition is quite loose. Bioshock had it's own little girls-mechanics, Zelda had to collect items. (Just as comparison, WoW's gearing and glyph systems)
Don't confuse RPG elements with resource management, which is fairly essential in making any game fun.

Oh, and I play WoW casually. I also discuss gaming on forums. Does playing casually make me less qualified to relate my opinions? Cause being hard-mode doesn't seem to have made any difference for yours.
Casual gamers are different than playing a specific game casually, and you dont have to be hardcore to discuss it online. There's middle ground. And again, I dont have problem with casuals expressing their opinions, but as Cantfakethefunk pointed out, this website is dedicated to the gaming culture, not someone who plays a wii sports game a few hours a week.

Secondly, I highly doubt that the 3.2 patch was the single game changing moment that made half your buds quit playing Wow forever.
It was. My RL friends quit because they were sick of how easy the game was getting with the change in badges and tier gear. The people in my guild hated the lack of content for close to a year. 5 bosses - no matter how you cut them, heroic, normal, 25 man, 10 man - gets old in a hurry, especially with no trash and one room. More still quit because of the difficulty curve resembling a wall that was Heroic Northrend Beasts.

Thirdly, most people actually can't afford to play every day for 8 hours straight without some seriously neglection on other aspects of life. Whether it be ignoring friends/family/loved ones or as simple as school/work obligations, the idea of none stop focus on a game just doesn't hold merit for them. Hating someone simply because you lack most or all of these real life commitments is a rather poor way to go about things.
I'll give you this one. Hate was a strong word for me, I'll admit. Just just dont like how the market is over-accommodating for them, and it causes me to resent them a bit.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I'll agree it was an unique list and you obviously were basing this on personal preference, but suffice it to say I don't think we have the same taste in games. At all.
I wouldn't be caught dead owning some of those titles lol.
Good for you though.