The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: John

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I picked up Torchlight during the Steam sale for $10, perhaps the best money I have spent on a game since Titan Quest & Immortal Throne For $20.

I was put off by Torchlights WoW'esk graphics at first, but once the hack n slash action kicks in its very easy to gloss over the visuals and get sucked into the world.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I don't have anything to say about this list, but I commented on Jordan's and Susan's lists and I didn't want John to feel left out. (I know I'm an important character around here and stuff.)

Why am I not playing Torchlight? I would guess my computer can't run it. It's that bad.

Aug 30, 2009
Bought time Assassins creed two got on a list. I also agree that I would still play the game if all it was was just climb to the top of everything creed two.

oh and great list.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Random One said:
I don't have anything to say about this list, but I commented on Jordan's and Susan's lists and I didn't want John to feel left out. (I know I'm an important character around here and stuff.)

Why am I not playing Torchlight? I would guess my computer can't run it. It's that bad.
Dude, Torchlight has a netbook mode. A NETBOOK mode.

It can run on anything made past 2001, I'd wager.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I still don't get why people pay for fighting games, but otherwise nice list. You forgot to mention that Torchlight = Diablo 2 in every aspect except for the stuff it adds.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I only just got Dragon Age, and it hasn't really "grabbed me" so far. I keep just going back to play more L4D2.
I recommend giving it some more time. It took me a while to get into it, but now I am really enjoying it. Though at times it can be a bit frustrating.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah I thought that list was very diverse but seriously Ass Creed as #1?
Oh well maybe it was a slow year...

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
I agree to a degree.

You should have had Dragon Age in there, somewhere.
Other than that, awesome
I agree with this as well. Maybe take out Torchlight so as not to overstimulate the RPG muscle?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Good to see BlazBlue there, Funk, partly since I decided to finally order it (in my defense, I didn't have a PS3 or 360 until this Christmas).

Also, I'm considering getting Assassins Creed II thanks to this and some friends of mine.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I'm glad to see Blazblue get some love.

Blazblue is my favorite fighting game ever. Period. Its pretty much as perfect as a fighter will ever get.

Soul Calibur 2 was my old favorite but Blazblue tops it. Not to mention after 2 the series just spiraled downward.

Patroclus

Sep 28, 2009
starcraft 2? HA! good one Mr. Funk! If it ever does come out I'm not buying it, I'm thoroughly convinced that Blizzard is evil <_< ..... well maybe I'll buy a used copy....

anyhow, pretty good list--pretty much what I expected. Although, I didn't expect to see Assassin's Creed 2 in there o_O

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nice List, Mr Funk - I have to agree with Assassins Creed 2 as the top of the list - I've restarted the game after finishing because I just enjoy it so damn much; my only complaint is I reached an end and had no more story to play ;)

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Patroclus said:
starcraft 2? HA! good one Mr. Funk! If it ever does come out I'm not buying it
No LAN no StarCraft.

Good list, I just bought Torchlight when it was 5 bucks and I'm loving it. Kinda displeased at Killing Floor never being reviewed, as that's a kick ass Indie Game.

I expect to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat on someones list for games of 2010 or heads will Roll like they are typed in italics.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Left for dead 2?! Mister Funk, I have now lost all respect for you.

I do however, totally agree with Assassins Creed 2, it is freaking awesome.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dududf said:
Patroclus said:
No LAN no StarCraft.

Good list, I just bought Torchlight when it was 5 bucks and I'm loving it. Kinda displeased at Killing Floor never being reviewed, as that's a kick ass Indie Game.

I expect to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat on someones list for games of 2010 or heads will Roll like they are typed in italics.
No review? News to me. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6099-Review-Killing-Floor] :p

Even without LAN, the version of StarCraft 2 I played at BlizzCon absolutely blew me away. If that's the UNFINISHED product, I can't wait to see what the finished version is like.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
dududf said:
Patroclus said:
No LAN no StarCraft.

No review? News to me. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6099-Review-Killing-Floor] :p

Even without LAN, the version of StarCraft 2 I played at BlizzCon absolutely blew me away. If that's the UNFINISHED product, I can't wait to see what the finished version is like.
Ahh that's when the preferences come in.

I hardly get to play online due to lag, and when my internet meets ideal conditions I'm playing L4D2 on Expert Realism with pals. I mainly just play Star craft with a bunch of friends in a lan party. No other real time. Call me picky but my preferred choice of RTS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.164198] differs when playing by myself or 1v1. [sub][sub]You're not the only one who can play the Review card Senior Funk. =][/sub][/sub]

Also to the Review of Killing floor it's a niiice, and was spot on about the "It's not scary in groups" point. When you're in a large group it's merely a camp a hallways, have one guy in the back healing and 3 people taking turns shooting the heads. The game is much more fun with 3 people on the map "West London" :)