The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2009: Jordan

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
at least he knew we would complain, but anyway nice job with the video, can't say much about most the games thought, don't own that many of them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
miracleofsound said:
I'm surprised Arkham Asylum is underperforming in these.

DA:O is great fun though, thoroughly enjoying my first playthrough at the mo.
Some things to keep in mind:

1. Cutting lists down to five was haaaaard. Even if we really liked a game, it may have only just barely missed out.

2. Not everyone played everything. I may be wrong, but I don't think Jordan played Dragon Age, I didn't play Batman, Russ didn't play Assassin's Creed 2.
I can imagine... it's hard enough for us to compile our own top 5s, even without the pressure of them going up on display for thousands of people!

And I highly recommend giving Arkham Asylum a try if you get a chance, even if you are not a big Batman fan it's an enjoyable, technically great adventure with a very deep storyline.

AC2 is probably my personal choice but yeah, it's hard to pick when there were so many great ones out this year.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I like how he puts down the single player audience when talks about MWF:2, way to make us feel like douches for not liking multiplayer shoe-horned into every game we buy. (For those wondering its when he says "It also has a single player campaign....if you're into that)

While I wholeheartedly disagree with his list, its HIS list and HIS opinion so I won't sit here and go on a nerd rant about it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
KeyMaster45 said:
I like how he puts down the single player audience when talks about MWF:2, way to make us feel like douches for not liking multiplayer shoe-horned into every game we buy. (For those wondering its when he says "It also has a single player campaign....if you're into that)

While I wholeheartedly disagree with his list, its HIS list and HIS opinion so I won't sit here and go on a nerd rant about it.
Um, given the rest of his list - consisting entirely of single-player games - I think it's a safe play to say that it was a joke about how much more he cares about the multiplayer in MW2 as opposed to the singleplayer. And that's a game where I hardly think the multiplayer is shoehorned in.

Laze

Apr 17, 2009
I very much agree with your list, and Shadow Complex sounds like something that I'd love, so thanks for pointing me to it. But I object to this:

Jordan Deam said:
In fact, I typically find that games with the fewest concessions to storytelling are the ones that grab me most - games like Portal ("Escape from this laboratory!")
Portal's story is possibly one of the most unique and (more importantly) engaging stories that I've ever encountered in a video game. And I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, every time I hear someone quote a certain meme about a deceptive confection. Also, you don't even know that you're trying to escape from the lab until halfway through the game, so...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
KeyMaster45 said:

Um, given the rest of his list - consisting entirely of single-player games - I think it's a safe play to say that it was a joke about how much more he cares about the multiplayer in MW2 as opposed to the singleplayer. And that's a game where I hardly think the multiplayer is shoehorned in.
I didn't mean that it was shoe-horned into MWF:2, I understand very well that its a game built for multiplayer. It was just the way he made the comment about the single player campaign felt like he was making out people who enjoy a single player experience are weird. I'm not sure how I can explain it better, I know there's a better way to explain it but the method escapes me.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Glad to see Time F*** get a mention. That is probably my favorite freeware title of all time... But I did have to look up a couple of the puzzles near the end because they were so complex and the game doesn't save.

Hey, it was late, alright?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Khada said:
I DISAGREE!
Might want to elaborate on that.

Donnyp said:
Am i one of the few who doesn't see MW2 as a good game? I'm not gonna say its bad but it isn't good. I'm not gonna spend anything over 40 bucks on it.
I'm sure if you look around the forums a bit you'll find it's a rather commonly held opinion that MW2 is not a good game, you're not alone or in a minority in thinking that.

I love it, but it hurts me and makes me sad. I'm like that dumb Twilight chick.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
This is a good 5 for bringing Time fkuc and Spelunky to everybody's attention atleast. Such games are too easily overlooked.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
I loved AC2 this year, also didnt get any information of it so no hype for me and a lot of surprises so i will do the same for mass effect 2 :p

MW2 feels like a huge cash cow but its still brilliant

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I agree with you on MW2, but I think it had a good campaign all the same, despite it's length (or lack thereof).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Donnyp said:
miracleofsound said:
Khada said:
I DISAGREE!
Might want to elaborate on that.

Donnyp said:
Am i one of the few who doesn't see MW2 as a good game? I'm not gonna say its bad but it isn't good. I'm not gonna spend anything over 40 bucks on it.
I'm sure if you look around the forums a bit you'll find it's a rather commonly held opinion that MW2 is not a good game, you're not alone or in a minority in thinking that.

I love it, but it hurts me and makes me sad. I'm like that dumb Twilight chick.
Yeah mines a different kind of dislike. The group i slump into is probably smaller and more refined then "MW2 IS A n00bxorz game and is 4 teh f4gs!!!!1!!". Mines more like "Though MW2 does have several good design points and can be a fun game at times the key problem is its unbalanced Multiplayer at times and how the single player isn't enough to hold me captivated." Sorry. I like Single Player over multi.
I loved the single player, thought it was such a fun thrill-ride, but each to thier own.

The multiplayer is a strange one, I feel compelled to keep playing it, even though most of the time I'm not even sure I'm having fun.