The Escapist Year-by-Year

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
To think, only the Xbox 360 was out in 2005 with Facebook games and the App store barley a glint in peoples collective eyes.

Motion controls were just starting to be a thing and smart phones were the preserve of the cutting edge.

And 3D wasn't a buzz word...

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I feel so old reading this. Even though I did not join officially until 2010, I have been lurking for quite some time. Time flies by way too fast, I need to start making a bucket list.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I do like how Gabe called the PS3 a waste of time in 2007 and then went and linked Steam to it a couple of years later.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
TimeLord said:
I do like how Gabe called the PS3 a waste of time in 2007 and then went and linked Steam to it a couple of years later.
I was thinking the same thing. Although we all know a lot happened in that period of time and the PS3 moved on from an expensive piece of junk to a top competitor too. Only thing that didn't change was Valve's ability to be awesome IMO.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Heh, I know that I was reading the .pdfs a long time ago, but I don't remember "joining" anything until the redesign of the website much later. I think I got them from a mailing list, if I remember correctly...

I miss the pdfs...they were so much more like reading a magazine, and one with intelligence behind it, rather than the usual EGM-style ones that were around then...

Happy Birthday Escapist!

=y

May 11, 2012
If only I had joined in 2007... Ah well, Happy Birthday Escapist! Please continue to be the place I call home.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Aww...I lurked for a year before joining. I remember a lot of this stuff. Not all the early stuff, but some of it I saw after joining, so I retroactively remember it. Happy Birthday, Escapist!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Oh wow, I feel old now... And I kinda miss the PDFs... But such is life! Happy birthday, Escapist!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'm on a list. I don't know how I feel about that...

Fuuuck I was right when I was a teenager, 26 is old.

Gotta spend some time reading through those articles though. I vaguely remember a bunch of them.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Frybird said:
I miss the times of weekly issues.

It's what made The Escapist
Indeed. This feature only makes me weep for the drop in feature article quality and quantity, even if the site improved in other areas. I love almost all of the video content, but video content's a dime a dozen on the net. Insightful articles, not so much.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Random One said:
Frybird said:
I miss the times of weekly issues.

It's what made The Escapist
Indeed. This feature only makes me weep for the drop in feature article quality and quantity, even if the site improved in other areas. I love almost all of the video content, but video content's a dime a dozen on the net. Insightful articles, not so much.

We used to run five a week, now we run three or four a week. So while you can justifiably lament the drop in quantity, I will argue vehemently against the notion there's been any drop in quality.