The Escapist's Community Drawing Board Discussion Thread

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist's Community Drawing Board Discussion Thread

This week's issue of The Escapist is all about art and animation in games, and to celebrate we've decided to create an official thread for all of our community members can express their own inner artiste. This is a thread where members of The Escapist forum family can get together to create a visual story, whether on their own or working collaboratively.

How does this work, you ask? Why, it's simple: However you want!

To learn more about the Drawing Board, and to post your images, head over to this thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.201313-Welcome-to-The-Escapists-Community-Drawing-Board]!

This thread is for our aspiring artists to discuss the story and what they're planning, and to offer feedback and advice to other visual vanquishers on their own contributions to the Drawing Board content.

Please, no images here (they belong over there where everyone can see them!) and keep all discussion related to the Drawing Board. Off-topic discussion will be deleted, and repeated infractions may result in moderation.

Read Full Article

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Why this is quite lovely John, now to start on actually making some pretty art for it since I no longer own the Avatar Store

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've seen this kind of thing done on DeviantArt.
It usually ends with something pretty damn... special...

Consider me in.

To the Intuos!

rampantcreature

sticky-fingered filcher
Apr 14, 2009
This reminds me of some of the stuff the Irregular Webcomic guys do. I will definitely give this a spin.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I'm not entirely sure what the challenge is, you can draw a short comic based on the characters provided, or anything you like/continuing someone else's strip?

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I've got the ball rolling a little bit, nothing overly spectacular but it IS surprising how when you're told,

'Go nuts!'

You're suddenly low on inspiration from that moment on...

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I may try to submit something. I've got a couple of guest comics I'm working on and a tattoo design for a friend I need to finish. But I would love to submit something, time permitting.

Trujkin

Nov 12, 2002
GothmogII said:
I'm not entirely sure what the challenge is, you can draw a short comic based on the characters provided, or anything you like/continuing someone else's strip?
Yes, the heart of the project is to take these random characters and their open setting to have a framework to draw your own strips here. This way we don't all have to start from square one, and there is some commonality that those reading the thread can follow.

I think it's just as fun to see the left-field comics too, however.

I love where it's gone already! Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks!
Greg

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Trujkin said:
GothmogII said:
Yes, the heart of the project is to take these random characters and their open setting to have a framework to draw your own strips here. This way we don't all have to start from square one, and there is some commonality that those reading the thread can follow.

I think it's just as fun to see the left-field comics too, however.

I love where it's gone already! Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks!
Greg
Okay, cool. Thanks for clarifying that :) Might give it a shot, least now that the all clear has been given for crappy artistry like mine to exist.

Murgo

Nov 19, 2009
I'm going to feel like a noob for asking this, but better now than never. Ahem...

How does one post a picture in a thread?

Remy Cambridge

Feb 8, 2010
Archemetis said:
I've got the ball rolling a little bit, nothing overly spectacular but it IS surprising how when you're told,

'Go nuts!'

You're suddenly low on inspiration from that moment on...
Blank piece of paper syndrome. To most people, it's just a sheet of paper. To an artist low on ideas, it's a blank abyss. I'm fairly certain that's what sucks the inspiration right out of us.

Speaking of which, I was a little hesitant over the thought of continuing from yours. The nature of the thread implies consent, but writing someone else's avatar has not a few pitfalls. And I'm rather uncomfortable writing someone else's voice.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Bealzibob said:
lol

The story sorta came in second, cause I got carried away drawing it. So... yeah.

EDIT: Can't seem to get the suck any bigger while still using MS Paint, so If you can't view it I guess save it and have a gander at it through Paint... Or you know ignore it and crush my hopes and dreams.
heh, well you did do a lot more work than me on the drawing front. It is a bit impossible to read the writing though, maybe repost in .png format since it has better quality, or you could just edit put the writing in sort of like:

Panel 1: I had too little time.

Panel 2: someone had taken the hands right off my watch.

Either way the artwork looks very nice, I especially like the Space Invader thing on fire in the background :D