The Escapist's favorite giant robot: Round 1

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Aeshi said:
Small question: How humanoid do the candidates have to be?

Can a Quadraped bot be nominated if it has a humanoid body otherwise? What about Robots with humanoid legs but not a humanoid upper body?
The only qualifications necessary are that it's a robot, and that it's giant. And I'm willing to be lenient on the "giant" criteria. Hell, if you wanted, you could nominate the giant mechanical spider from Wild Wild West if you wanted.

I'm secretly hoping someone does.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Striker Eureka
Unit 02
Optimus Prime

At least one Evangelion has make it to the final.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not going to put more than one from Armored Core because it wouldn't be entirely fair.

Almost made the list:

EDIT: And Sinanju's pretty cool, but just to rile people, screw Warhammer mechs. You can't just put a castle on fucking legs, that's not good design at all. Unless it's Howl's Moving Castle. [sub][sub]I just don't like the 40k style, that's all[/sub][/sub]

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
madwarper said:
a) The Big O
It's Batman in a giant mech, with piston powered punches.
I second Big O.

All these other giant robots, jump and flip around like Ninjas. It's silly. Big O moves and works like a giant robot really would, heavy and powerful.

That aside, hell I don't know. MEGAS XLR? The Turbo Megazord?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Because have you seen the anime?

I just think it looks cool.

I loved Zoids back in the day and though I probably prefer it with on its varios armor types its still just the Liger Zero I guess.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Er...when you say "robot", do you mean "robot"?

Because an awful lot of the stuff people are suggesting are piloted by humans or other creatures, and therefore aren't really robots. A tank driven by people doesn't become a robot just because it has legs.

Anyway, I'm going to say my favourite giant robot is "The Giant Robot" from the Doctor Who story "Robot". In the novelisation, at least, all the giant robot stuff happens in the chapter called "The Giant Robot", IIRC.

Which, well, seems fitting for this question.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I seem to be having no luck with images, so youtube videos must suffice.

A fool's hope, I know. I guess if I had to pick a third, I'd go with Eva-01.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Well, my favourite robots are all Transformers so hope you don't mind.

Let's just go with the G1 incarnations for simplicity's sake.

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
In at number 1 Skyfire/Jetfire (Transformers g1)

2. Computron (Transformers g1)

3. Unicron ( I have the most amazing toy of this, it's gigantic and my pride and joy)

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
1. Metal Gear REX form Metal Gear Solid

Other than that I don't really care for giant robots.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'll nominate 3, none of which have been nominated earlier :(

Ork, Warhammer 40K, Dreadnought

Full Metal Panic, Venom / Codarl

Full Metal Alchemist, Alphonse

Extra nominations go to the ATT and AT-ST from Star Wars :D

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Let's see.

Because if you're going to have bling on your stomping death machine, you might as well go all out and include an entire castle with turrets (and I don't mean the gun emplacement type).

Who doesn't dig a giant robot with a Muscle car for a head?

Whats not to love about a commie hating, nuclear football throwing, propaganda spewing death machine?

Honerable Mentions

Edging out Space Marine Dreadnoughts (but only just) due to its insane firepower.

I rather like the unadorned facade of the Warlord but the Imperium of Man is nothing without the gothic overtones.

My favourite 'new' Optimus, this version looks good and was both an excellent leader as well as pragmatic.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
1. X10A Freedom Gundam

The Freedom is the one on the right. It's wings are absolutely beautiful and amazing. Seeing them spread out in different ways. There's other great pictures out there.

2. Infinite Justice Gundam

3. Gravion (cause it needs some love)

There's two Gravions so to speak but anyways... I'll nominate the final one which has the red colour.

spartenX

Oct 2, 2009
1 Genesic GaoGaiGar

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/063/7/2/pics_of_anime_by_zios88.jpg

2 Mazinkaiser

http://www.mistakesofyouth.com/images/mazinkaiser.jpg

3 shin getter robo

http://k03.kn3.net/4C5CE7BFF.jpg

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
CHERNO ALPHA.

So awesome it needs to be said in caps. Sure, it isn't one of the main jaegers, sure, you don't see much of it, but it's just so retro awesome. Where all the other jaegers look hi-tech and shiny, Cherno has that endearing clunky rustbucket charm. Cherno doesn't bother with stupid elbow rockets, it has a fist that pops forward on a piston.

PTX-140 hardballer

Lost planet's most recognizable VS suit, not technically a robot but a mech suit. It comes equipped with miniguns and a chainsaw.

Do I need say more, MINIGUNS AND A FUCKING CHAINSAW.

The giant dinosaur robot from bulletstorm. (Waggleton P. Taddlelicker)

First you're chased by it.

Then you get to control it as it bites and stomps it's way through your enemies. Beautiful.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
My top three giant robot are:

Iron Giant

Megas XLR

And finally, Liberty Prime

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Slycne said:

That's some fine trio of choices there!

OT: I'm going to have to go with...

1. Voltron - Does this need an explanation?

2. Optimus Prime (G1, obviously)

3. Big Oooooooooo!

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
1 - Optimus Prime, the epic rumble with Megatron in the Original Animated Movie is made of win.
2 - Mecha-Godzilla, because Mecha-Godzilla
3 - Iron Giant, because 'all the feels'

Honorable Mentions

Eva-01 - Not really a robot
T-800 - Not giant
W40k Titans - kinda robots with their own machine spirits but kinda piloted at the same time.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
You know, there's a surprising number of nominations towards Liberty Prime here... or maybe it shouldn't be surprising, considering this IS a gaming site, after all.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
#1-Escaflowne for style, grace, destiny and being from an incredible series.

#2-Nyabdaber double zeto! A giant cat robot made and piloted by an adorably incompetent mad scientist kitty-person. Was always a little sad when Cha-Cha blowed the various versions of it up.

#3-Iczer Robo--I mean come on, Iczer-one would beat the crap out of most versions of Superman, and this is the Mecha she uses when things get too tough for her to go it alone. Extra bonus points for using a nekkid person as its' power source.