The Escapist's Publisher Speaking on Interactive Storytelling via Second Life

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Escapist's Publisher Speaking on Interactive Storytelling via Second Life

If you've ever wondered about the function of storytelling in an interactive environment (i.e., videogames), pop in to Second Life this afternoon to hear Escapist publisher Alex Macris enlighten you.

Linden Labs' Second Life has quite a few uses outside of its (in)famous depth of user-generated content. Some tech-savvy teachers use it to Metanomics [http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-08-01-second-life_N.htm].

A "passionate community" of people who are interested in exploring "the serious uses of virtual worlds" - that is, videogames and places like Second Life - Metanomics is perhaps best known for its weekly web show Wednesdays at 3PM EST (12PM PST), in which speakers discuss the nature of the virtual worlds surrounding us.

This week's discussion is on how virtual worlds lend themselves to immersive and interactive storytelling:

[blockquote]What's the difference between a story and a game? Does interactivity always imply that stories contain game mechanics and that games always contain story? How do you create a compelling narrative in a virtual world? What are the tools, tips and approaches to creating online narrative?[/blockquote]

One of the speakers is The Escapist's own publisher, Alexander Macris - a graduate of Harvard Law School and long-time expert on the subject of MMOGs and virtual worlds. So, if you're interested in storytelling in fictional, interactive environments and want to hear what the man who founded The Escapist thinks on the subject, watch the show broadcast live [http://www.metanomics.net/show/june_30_-_immersive_storytelling] today at 3PM EST (GMT-5).

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
GMT -5, so... 8 o'clock right? Excellent. Give me something to do on this dreary Wednesday. Thank you for doing this.

Calumon: Intermac...Interlacsi... Why can't we just have normal stories anymore? :'(

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Second Life is still a thing?

As a librarian, this thing was huge a few years back. Now, we have been told to ignore it.

When the librarians don't think it's cool enough to talk about, well, I guess I just thought it was on its way out.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Time like this ake me wish I had an account on SL

Ill have to catch broadcast some point!

Erie Isle RP inSL

May 19, 2010
meganmeave said:
LOL yes, we're still kicking.

I'm looking forward to the show. Although not specifically what Alex will address, we kinda feel like our RP built inside Second Life IS interactive storytelling. It's a hard thing to get across to outsiders but it's much more akin to tabletopping. SL has limitations that can make it not-so-exciting to action addicts but it's quite good for building a collaborative/evolving narrative.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Erie Isle RP inSL said:
meganmeave said:
LOL yes, we're still kicking.

I'm looking forward to the show. Although not specifically what Alex will address, we kinda feel like our RP built inside Second Life IS interactive storytelling. It's a hard thing to get across to outsiders but it's much more akin to tabletopping. SL has limitations that can make it not-so-exciting to action addicts but it's quite good for building a collaborative/evolving narrative.
The hangup I see in these sorts of online roleplays is that they're so much more accessible than LARPing, or face-to-face tabletop roleplays. If people can be on at any time, chances are, someone will. I could understand if people were mingling in-and-out, like people in-character in an MMORPG, but I don't understand how you can tell a real story when half your cast has to be elsewhere. Is it scheduled? Do you only roleplay when everyone happens to be there?

Erie Isle RP inSL

May 19, 2010
Jaredin said:
Time like this ake me wish I had an account on SL
You can watch from the web and even chat http://www.metanomics.net/show/june_30_-_immersive_storytelling It's about to start too!

@Erana
Our setting is an island community where people would be in and out anyway. There's around 2200 players from around the globe so it's an on-going thing.