"The Eternal War": Ten Years of a Single Civ 2 Game

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Damn, that's actually cool. I wonder if he has a backup of the safe file or something, imagine if he had to format his pc or something :/ (or am I missing something ?)

Comocat

May 24, 2012
I had a game like that once and maybe lasted one day before I threw in the towel. I found this line from the article especially amusing:

"Anyway, I was forced to do away with democracy roughly a thousand years ago because it was endangering my empire."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Who wants to be the first jerk to introduce this guy to "Galactic Civilizations 2: Endless Universe"?

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
blackrave said:
Isn't there some sort of diplomacy available in the game?
You know, ally with vikings and together steamroll those pesky americans
There is (or at least there is in the Civs I've played) but the more you fight people the less likely they are to agree to your offers, so I suspect if he's at the stage where several nuclear wars have been fought it's basically impossible to get the AI to work with him.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
my god, someone played one civ 2 for 10 years, this man deserves the internet medal of honour.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
DJjaffacake said:
blackrave said:
Isn't there some sort of diplomacy available in the game?
You know, ally with vikings and together steamroll those pesky americans
There is (or at least there is in the Civs I've played) but the more you fight people the less likely they are to agree to your offers, so I suspect if he's at the stage where several nuclear wars have been fought it's basically impossible to get the AI to work with him.
He mentions in his post that he does make peace treaties but a few turns later the nations won't respect the treaty and attack him. Or something to that effect.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Akalabeth said:
I couldn't get into AC, nor MOO2 (never tried MOO3).
I think MOO 2 is better in some ways and worse in others. But MOO 3 is my personal biggest letdown in gaming. It was my Highlander 2 so to speak.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Ten YEARS?! I feel like I should be turning in my gamer cred now!
At least it's with an awesome game...

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
galaktar said:
3 mega nations... All excess production funneled into the war industries...Cities on the borders trading hands in insignificant gains and losses...This sounds suspiciously similar to the intentional unending stalemate in 1984.
Where the countries have a (possibly) unspoken agreement to continually fight 1 nation at a time so they can control their population and live as aristocrats?

No, I don' think this is similar.

Anyway, the post just reminds me why I dislike RTT like Starcraft, it's alwasy a select basis of 'build 1, 2, 3, 4, 5' of 3 unit wonder races, as opposed to the logistics surrounding a game like Civilisation.

Methinks the redditor would be good at grand strategy like HoI3, Darkest Hour, etc.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
I wish Shogun 2 had such a possibility. But all free-play campaign have limited turns until you have to win the game. U can then select to continue but you can really reach stalemate since you`ve already pretty much whooped everybody`s asses and also there can be no politics since all AI is against you due to taking over the Shogunate :S

Shame this story sounds awesome. Ive often tried to get into a super long games but jsut thei designs doesnt allow it.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
Sadly sounds like a world that we will likely end up with in the future. Also I can't imagine spending 10 years on a single game especially when there has been a stalemate for so long.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
And this is why Civilization is such a great franchise! Very interesting article!