The Eyjafjallajökull Eruption

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Could someone do me a favour?

Type that thing's name phonetically so I know how to pronounce it?
Hahahaha, no problem. It's Eh(as Canadians say it)-ya-fyatl-a-yu(with the u from just)-cuhtl.

There.

I think you wish you'd never have asked.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
fuckwit said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Hahahaha, no problem. It's Eh(as Canadians say it)-ya-fyatl-a-yu(with the u from just)-cuhtl.

There.

Even Bjork would have trouble wrapping her tongue around that monstrosity of a word!

Dreey

Jun 26, 2008
Pretty soon Iceland will have taken over the world. The island grows whenever there is an eruption, and since Iceland is that island Iceland is destined to grow eternally :p

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
fuckwit said:
MiracleOfSound said:

There.

Even Bjork would have trouble wrapping her tongue around that monstrosity of a word!
I highly doubt that.

Dreey said:
Pretty soon Iceland will have taken over the world. The island grows whenever there is an eruption, and since Iceland is that island Iceland is destined to grow eternally :p
I highly doubt that, too :D

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
jarate said:
question: do you pronounce the Js in Eyjafjallajokull like Hs or Js, or what?
Icelandic is so hard to pronounce xD I'm proud that it's my native languge ;) Yay

Anyway, you know how you pronounce "yes"? It's got that "y" sound to it. So it's ey(yah)f(yah *y* sound)alla(yah *y* sound)ökull

The "ö" is pronounced like you say "butt", it's the type of *u* from that word, so it's kind of freaky.

Anyway, that's the rough pronouncing of the glacier xD It's hard, I know! :D

EDIT: fuckwit did a better job xþ

fuckwit

Jan 4, 2009
Jav3lin said:
jarate said:
Icelandic is so hard to pronounce xD I'm proud that it's my native languge ;) Yay

Anyway, you know how you pronounce "yes"? It's got that "y" sound to it. So it's ey(yah)f(yah *y* sound)alla(yah *y* sound)ökull

The "ö" is pronounced like you say "butt", it's the type of *u* from that word, so it's kind of freaky.

Hehe, takk! :D

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
ill be visiting friends in iceland in the nearish future so ill get to see it in all its real glory! should be cool.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
Iceland always seem to be behind bad things for Britain. They must be evil. Obviously it's only a matter of time before they take over our cheese industry or something equally diabolical. First they lose our pensions we stupidly invested in them, leaving our old folk out of pocket, then they let one of their volcanos down our aircraft for a little while.

I'm telling you, they will take the cheese industry next, you mark my words.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Jav3lin said:
jarate said:

I'm so glad my native language is Dutch, it's said that the Dutch can pronounce just about any language, because our's is so simple (pronounciation, not grammar. Our grammar is horrible).

OT: Look at that beauty smokin'... So pretty.... *drool*
I love vulcanoes.

Leo257

May 10, 2010
First they declare themselves bankrupt, now their island's on fire. Insurance fraud?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
It could erupt for months. I think it erupted last time for a year and a half?

Historically, when this volcano erupts, the much-larger-and-much-more-explosive volcano next door is triggered into an eruption. I believe its called the icelandic two step. So, if I were European, I'd be careful with making time sensitive travel arrangements.