The Fall of the House of Johnson

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Plus, is was so widely known that Labour planned to freeze bills earlier-- and lower, and without borrowing 260 billion.
They planned to do something they knew that didn't have to do because it's not their job to do so at the moment. And that's fair, because they're in opposition, they actually can't do anything, I get that. But it does make saying things easier.

I would expect them , quite unreasonably, to be offering in the next election a payment to cover the extra we're still going to be paying on power bills today if they want to make good on what they've said they would do if they were in power. But I don't think they will, nor do I think I can trust the current Labour party, which is a shame.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well, that not-so-mini mini budget was a pile of wank.

5% tax cut for earnings over 150,000. The wealthiest 1% will earn over 50k more a year (more than the entire annual wage of most people). It's the most rich-focused budget I think I've ever seen.

All financed solely through borrowing. At a time when inflation is already sky-high, and public services are already drastically under-funded.

I've heard it speculated that the Tories assume they'll lose the next election anyway, so they're just trying to funnell as much money towards the rich as possible before it comes, optics-be-damned.

But if anyone tells me the Tories are the fiscally responsible party, I'm going to laugh in their face and then throw up.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I've heard it speculated that the Tories assume they'll lose the next election anyway, so they're just trying to funnell as much money towards the rich as possible before it comes, optics-be-damned.
Play it right and the disasters are mostly held off until it's the other side's go, and they can get the blame.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You've not seen the price of paper towels have you.
That's OK. I stockpiled like a prepper for Covid, and then just ended up getting one of the less viscous variants. So plenty left.

(JK, just in case someone takes that seriously).

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
But if anyone tells me the Tories are the fiscally responsible party, I'm going to laugh in their face and then throw up.
I wonder how the Tories and other right wing parties even gained their fiscally responsible reputation to begin with. Because it doesn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.

It were Blair/Brown who seem to have run the tightest ship economically, and prime ministers such as Atlee and I believe Wilson who are the ones who's administrative abilities were the most highly valued. And currently the Torries have thoroughly identified themselves with the extremely fiscally irresponsible idea of Brexit.

Same with the US where Clinton is the one with the reputation of economic miracles, where Obama and not Bush tackled the recession and where Democrat Rooseveld is the posterboy of how to solve a bad economy while Republican Hoover is the poster boy of how NOT to do it.

Even the fiscally well regarded Reagan and Thatcher don't really explain that mindset since its well established these days that the economic legacy they left behind was a house of cards that we now see collapsing.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, the obvious explanation is that they're a batch of shameless liars. Hell, the US always has conservative politicians trying to take credit for legislation they voted against.

You can shift a lot of perception through shameless lying

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder how the Tories and other right wing parties even gained their fiscally responsible reputation to begin with. Because it doesn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny.

It were Blair/Brown who seem to have run the tightest ship economically, and prime ministers such as Atlee and I believe Wilson who are the ones who's administrative abilities were the most highly valued. And currently the Torries have thoroughly identified themselves with the extremely fiscally irresponsible idea of Brexit.

Same with the US where Clinton is the one with the reputation of economic miracles, where Obama and not Bush tackled the recession and where Democrat Rooseveld is the posterboy of how to solve a bad economy while Republican Hoover is the poster boy of how NOT to do it.

Even the fiscally well regarded Reagan and Thatcher don't really explain that mindset since its well established these days that the economic legacy they left behind was a house of cards that we now see collapsing.
The source of the modern reputation is the borrowing/debt incurred by Blair and Brown. Throughout their tenures, the British press hammered the government on the supposed irresponsibility of large-scale borrowing.

Then we had the global recession, and the press successfully tarred Brown as responsible for its impact on Britain. It was largely a false accusation, but it stuck.

Then, when the Cameron beat Brown in the election, Brown's Chief Secretary to the Treasury Liam Byrne left a (supposed-to-be-humourous) note saying "sorry there's no money left". Cameron hammered that as an example of Labour being cavalier about public finance. The public were also largely unaware that a Tory chancellor had made the same joke in the 60s.

Then we had the government of Cameron and Osborne, who heavily sold cuts to public services as a "responsible" necessity. The following Tory governments actually borrowed at a greater rate than Blair or Brown ever did, but-- again-- the public are generally unaware of that. Because the press only ever drone on about Labour doing it.

Tl;dr: it's the rabid right-wing press, and public ignorance.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Cool, some mortgage lenders are pulling their products and not taking new customers because it's so volatile now. Amazing work Liz, really well done.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Kinda sounds like the political equivalent of hiring a female CEO because your business is tanking and you need a cheap scapegoat

Reactions: Thaluikhain