The Fallout 3 Laser Rifle Comes to Life

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Fallout 3 Laser Rifle Comes to Life

The guy who built the Fallout 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88844-Note-Replica-Portal-Gun-A-Huge-Success] laser rifle that took "only" 30 hours to build.

The AER-9 laser rifle is something of an entry-level energy weapon in Fallout 3 but packs a solid punch and is in relatively plentiful supply throughout the course of the game. It also looks fantastic; futuristic yet unrefined, perfectly appropriate for a fictional technology that was still in its infancy when the Earth was turned into a charred cinder. In other words, it's just the thing for a cosplayer who wants to dress up as a Vault Dweller and just happens to be good friends with prop maker extraordinaire Harrison Krix.

Most of the weapon is made from wood, with small bits of PVC, styrene and wood screws filling in the details, and believe it or not Krix considers it a rush job, crammed in to whatever time he could spare between other commissions and projects. "A commission came to me very, very last minute for a good friend of mine. He was planning on doing a Vault Dweller costume from Fallout 3, and needed a weapon in a month," he said. "I looked at my schedule, decided I could shave off some sleep, and promised him 30 hours of build time. What follows is the result of that hurried errand."

"Hurried errand?" I wouldn't be able to put something like this together in a year. Is somebody showing off a bit, maybe? Ah, but he's a Red Stripe man [http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3879371255_5f3aff4cca.jpg], so all is forgiven.

Feel like taking a crack at this thing yourself? Krix has posted instructions and a series of photographs [http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2009/09/fallout-3-aer9-laser-rifle.html] detailing the build, which can be accomplished in roughly 87 incredibly complicated steps. Good luck!

via: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/24/fallout-3s-laser-rifle-escapes-the-capital-wasteland/]

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
..He's the man.

But I didn't like the lazer-rifle. Note me impressed when he creates the plasma-rifle.

(I'm not insulting his work, just for the record.)

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Awesome work from this guy once again. Would love to see him either make a plasma rife, a laser pistol or a suit of power armor like the Brotherhood of Steel has.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
dalek sec said:
Awesome work from this guy once again. Would love to see him either make a plasma rife, a laser pistol or a suit of power armor like the Brotherhood of Steel has.
It's been done.

Google image "Brotherhood of Steel cosplay."

This guy continues to impress. He is very talented.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Amnestic said:
dalek sec said:
It's been done.

Awesome, that the same guy who made the rilfe and the other props?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
dalek sec said:
Amnestic said:
dalek sec said:
It's been done.

Awesome, that the same guy who made the rilfe and the other props?
Dunno. Might be, but judging by the Escapist article saying that he's just set his sights on Fallout 3 and that they didn't mention the BoS armour beforehand, my educated guess is that it's a different person.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
Now I'd just need some Enclave Armor, a Plasma Pistol, and the Fat Man, a few Plasma 'Nades, and possibly the Firelance, and I'm a happy, nerdy ************.