The Fan-Made 2D Adaptation of Breath of the Wild Has Been Shut Down by a Copyright Claim

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Fan-Made 2D Adaptation of Breath of the Wild Has Been Shut Down by a Copyright Claim

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1402/1402438.jpgUnsurprisingly, another fan-made project had been shut down by a copyright claim from Nintendo.

Another day, another fan project shut down by Nintendo. This time around, it's the 2D adaptation of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Titled "Breath of the NES," the 2D adaptation was inspired by the 2D test game shown at GDC earlier this year that looked like the original Legend of Zelda. Created by a fan using the name Winterdrake, "Breath of the NES" was one person's interpretation of what Breath of the Wild would look like in the 2D retro style.

A demo of the fan game was uploaded to itch.io last week. It was playable, and included things like a day/night cycle, enemies, collectibles, and an interactive environment. But as you might imagine, the uploaded game didn't last long. Over the weekend, itch.io received a DMCA claim from Nintendo that pointed to the company's copyright on The Legend of Zelda series.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/WinterDrakeDev/status/858730858009825280]

This may not be the last we see of the project, though. In a subsequent tweet [https://twitter.com/WinterDrakeDev/status/858731858191949824], Winterdrake said, "Don't worry, the project will come back bigger and better than ever!" and when asked what he was going to do next, he replied, "I'm growing the game into a higher quality original game!"

This isn't the first project to get whacked with the Nintendo copyright bat, and it likely won't be the last. It sounds like this project may not be completely dead, but you can bet that it won't look anywhere near as much like The Legend of Zelda if and when comes back.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Can't remember if it was on Jim's podcast or on Super Best Friends' podcast, but someone put forth a really good idea for these fan games:

To everyone developing: don't fucking talk about them. Don't post screenshots, don't put up demos, keep it completely underwraps until it's finished. Then all of a sudden it just pops out as a complete project one day, there's a feeding frenzy of downloads, Nintendo sends out the cease and desist, but the "damage" has already been done.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Can't remember if it was on Jim's podcast or on Super Best Friends' podcast, but someone put forth a really good idea for these fan games:

To everyone developing: don't fucking talk about them. Don't post screenshots, don't put up demos, keep it completely underwraps until it's finished. Then all of a sudden it just pops out as a complete project one day, there's a feeding frenzy of downloads, Nintendo sends out the cease and desist, but the "damage" has already been done.
Added bonus, even when it gets taken down from official sources it will already be on the torrent sites.

ElPolloDiablo657

Aug 12, 2012
Atlus has already made the non-branded version of this. Its pretty good and worth checking out if you can find it, "3D Dot Game Heroes".

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
RJ 17 said:

I remember a fan game was released that way not long ago. I don't remember if it was the Metroid 2 fan remake or a Pokemon fan game though...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Surprising absolutely no one. It's now somewhere with that Fan made Chrono Trigger and countless others.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
RJ 17 said:

It baffles me that in this day and age where companies (especially Nintendo) have repeatedly demonstrated that they don't fuck around when people use their IP that people still don't seem to get this.
Seriously, unless you're using Valve's IP, just keep your mouth shut until the project is finished.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Everybody and his mother called this the day this Breath of the Wild 2D adaption was announced. I'm honestly thinking that these fan game developers are just making B.S. claims they're actually making something when they actually have barely even put in enough time and effort in to make it look like they have, just for the sake of causing a controversy when it inevitably gets C&Ded, either for publicity's sake or just for the fun of it. There's no way anyone actually smart enough to be able to make a fan game is dumb enough to believe won't get C&Ded within a month of announcing it's existence, particularly when they're dealing with the IPs of companies that are obsessive about it like Nintendo. This is the only remotely sane rationale for why any of these fan game developers would ever even bother that I can think of.

Nismu

Mar 4, 2015
starting to look more like free advertisement for the actual game they will be making.

Curious to see how it goes though. Could be very interesting game.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nintendo, you are the only company I know of that actively squashes fan games. Well you and Square-Enix.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
CaitSeith said:
RJ 17 said:

I remember a fan game was released that way not long ago. I don't remember if it was the Metroid 2 fan remake or a Pokemon fan game though...
I think the Metroid one got crushed while the Pokemon one snuck through, hence it having originally been nominated as "Fan Project of the Year" or something along those lines for (I think) last year's game awards...until Nintendo found out about it and demanded that it be stricken from the nominees. I think it was Pokemon Uranium or something.

I (clearly) forget the details, but I do know a fan made Pokemon was supposed to have been nominated for an award until Nintendo shat all over it. :p

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
RJ 17 said:
CaitSeith said:
RJ 17 said:

I think the Metroid one got crushed while the Pokemon one snuck through, hence it having originally been nominated as "Fan Project of the Year" or something along those lines for (I think) last year's game awards...until Nintendo found out about it and demanded that it be stricken from the nominees. I think it was Pokemon Uranium or something.

I (clearly) forget the details, but I do know a fan made Pokemon was supposed to have been nominated for an award until Nintendo shat all over it. :p
Acshually BOTH the Pokemon fan game (Uranium) and the Metroid 2 remake (AM2R) were nominated at the Dorito Pope awards and crushed by Nintendo. But both are completed as well and on torrent sites.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I'm surprised that Nintendo has enough DMCA notices to meet demand.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Why do people continue to be surprised by this? Don't bother wasting your time on remakes of anything from Nintendo- it's just going to be taken down. Save it for something original.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Rogue Wolf said:
Why do people continue to be surprised by this? Don't bother wasting your time on remakes of anything from Nintendo- it's just going to be taken down. Save it for something original.
Agreed, or at least don't say anything about it, until the game is already done.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
... and this is why Nintendo should be boycotted at all costs. Don't buy their stuff however good it is. They attack other people's creative freedom on creating non-profit derivative products in video form, videogame form etc. Not only that, they also don't have enough dignity not to capitalize off some of them! A horrible company that requires some hardcore slapping in order to get to its senses.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No suprised with the takedown and I did read beforehand that he intend to continue with the project but just changing the apperances around.