The Fantastic Four Movie Reboot Unveils Its Cast

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
The Fantastic Four Movie Reboot Unveils Its Cast

20th Century Fox has revealed the cast for its upcoming Fantastic Four reboot.

The last time that a Fantastic Four movie graced the big screen, Barry Bonds was still hitting steroid-fueled home runs and the original iPhone had just been released. But the folks at 20th Century Fox are finally rebooting the turquoise super team, and today the cast was officially unveiled.

Unlike the previous versions, which included big names like Michael Chiklis and Jessica Alba, the reboot's cast is made up of actors whose names might not be immediately recognizable but their faces will be familiar. Kate Mara, who will play The Invisible Woman, is probably the biggest celebrity on the team. If you recently finished binging on House of Cards, you're familiar with Mara's portrayal of Zoe Barnes.

Miles Teller, on the other hand, is probably the least familiar actor on the list. You may have seen him in 2011's Footloose reboot or last year's 21 & Over, but once he puts on Mr. Fantastic's blue spandex, all the nerdy ladies will swoon.

The Thing will be played by Jamie Bell whose resume includes blockbusters like Billy Elliot and King Kong. Plus, he recently had the lead in Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin.

The most interesting casting decision, however, was leaked several months ago; Michael B. Jordan will play The Human Torch. Jordan, who had major roles in Friday Night Lights and The Wire, is actually one of my favorite upcoming actors, so I was happy to see him score the part. But the fact that he's black has ruffled the feathers of some comic book purists.

But lets not forget that The Fantastic Four was created in 1961, a time when black characters weren't exactly common. And these films have their own unique mythology, so a little cultural diversity shouldn't be scary. Plus, it opens the door for Donald Glover to play Spider-Man, which would make the internet happy.

Source:Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles-teller-kate-mara-fantastic-four-1201099921/]

[gallery=2123]

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
So... another soulless movie in order to milk the franchise and keep the rights.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I think having a black Mr. Fantastic would have been much more interesting. Though I am still in the camp that if they make the Human Torch black then the Invisibly Woman should also be black. They are siblings after all. No sense complaining now though. Casting is done so here is to hoping this movie is fantastic.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Putting the race thing aside because it's already been discussed to death, the thing that really gets my goat about this casting is that fact that Reed Richards is WAY TOO YOUNG.

Seriously, Richards is supposed to be an experienced, middle aged scientist, not a baby-faced twenty-something. I hate Hollywood's obsession with making all their heroes young and pretty. This shouldn't bug me so much, but Mr. Fantastic is my favorite FF member and it pains me to see this.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
Eliwood10 said:
Putting the race thing aside because it's already been discussed to death, the thing that really gets my goat about this casting is that fact that Reed Richards is WAY TOO YOUNG.

Seriously, Richards is supposed to be an experienced, middle aged scientist, not a baby-faced twenty-something. I hate Hollywood's obsession with making all their heroes young and pretty. This shouldn't bug me so much, but Mr. Fantastic is my favorite FF member and it pains me to see this.
It would have been awesome to see an older and wiser Mr. Fantastic. I am in complete agreement with you. Young blood is good and all, but sometimes you need someone with a few year on em.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Another reboot? So soon? Christ, its sad to say this, but I hope the comic book-movie craze dies out soon before its bled completely dry.

Also.....I know I know, obvious stuff. But I wonder how many people will kick off over a black Human Torch? Anyone remember what happened with Idris Elba being (briliantly) cast as Heimdall?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
I don't know a lot about genetics, but I suppose it is possible that if the mother is black and the father is white (or vice versa) that one child could be born black and the other could be born white. Or, is that not actually possible? I ask because I genuinely do not know.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Goddamn it Fox, just give the rights back to Marvel, rather than churning out shit just to keep the license. I'll also direct that particular sentiment at Sony...

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Honestly it looks like Jamie Bell would be a better fit for Mr Fantastic than Teller.

I guess its not hard to tell that Fox really isn't trying.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Why...such a young cast...?
Chances are they want it to appeal to 'da yoof' so that kids want to buy lots of merchandise.

The Thing will be played by Jamie Bell whose resume includes blockbusters like Billy Elliot and King Kong. Plus, he recently had the lead in Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin.
Am I the only person who thought James McAvoy was Tintin?

Buccura said:
I don't know a lot about genetics, but I suppose it is possible that if the mother is black and the father is white (or vice versa) that one child could be born black and the other could be born white. Or, is that not actually possible? I ask because I genuinely do not know.
They could be half-siblings which would be a very simple way to have them related but different races.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
so that's how this is going to go down? the people who dislike a random change the character for no good reason that creates the problem of "how are these two related" those people are the Ahole racists? ok sure, lets go with that, fine but if i'm a racists for simply pointing out this makes no sense the i'm gonna go ahead and say whatever I want about it. here goes, a white guy would be better at it than a black guy. there, now feel free to flame and hate.

I mean ultimately I suppose it doesn't matter the movie is going to SUCK big time anyway, I mean this is the same studio that did the first two stink bombs and of course the ever worsening cimenatic abortions that are the x-men movies. but they could at least try and get the casting right. this train of thought only works in Hollywood where you make a major change to a character and when people ask why would you do that the response is "why can't he be black? are you saying you have a problem with black people?" no I have no problem with black people my gf is black. but saying i'm a racist doesn't answer the question of "why?". I know we got diversity standards to meet and all white people are the devil but this honky would still like an answer to why?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I find it odd that they didn't cast a black woman as Sue Storm when they decided to cast a black man as Johnny. I will be interested to see how that affects the plot, if they will be adopted siblings or half siblings, etc.

I don't like that they went with teenagers, I think they should have been closer to their ages (though even then Mr. Fantastic was a bit young)

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Goddammit Hollywood. Stop this blackwashing of characters just to get your black actors in. A black actor as Heimdall in Thor portraying a NORSE GOD was bad enough.
Everyone was losing their shit because of Shiamialalalan's white casting choices for Avatar, but we're supposed to think it's okay if it happens the other way around?

The MAJOR issue with this casting: Torchie is supposed to the brother of the Invisible Woman, not the "brother". So I guess they're going to break the family connection, or is Kate Mara supposed to pass as half-black?
Why not cast a black actor as Ben Grimm/The Thing instead? He has no family relation to the other characters. Heck they could also have made Mr Fantastic black instead, but no they chose to mess with half of a sibling pair.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Age not race is the problem I have with this cast. I am curious to see how the Storm family dynamic plays out with the introduction of adoption/step parents. Recognition of different familiar bonds could be nice to see, if it works.