The Fantastic Four Movie Reboot Unveils Its Cast

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
What MovieBob noticed, and missing here, is that this reboot is using ULTIMATE Fantastic Four, in which they are young and sexy.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I can't wait for Movie Blob to jump on this and tell us what horrible people we are for not immediately jumping on and accepting the token black guy who is playing Johnny Storm. I especially can't wait until we get exposition saying that Johnny Storm was adopted or some shit like that, good casting choice.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Waitwaitwait...

Aren't The Human Torch and The Invisible Woman siblings? There really should be a decent explanation in the movie for... uh... y'know.

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
Kate Mara is what, 30? So she'll actually be older than Alba was as Sue Storm. Ioan Gruffudd was only 4 years older than Miles Teller is now when the first Fantastic Four was released. Age complaints are therefore probably a little overblown, especially if it's the Ultimate version of the team.

Black Human Torch? Sounds cool, adoption is a thing (if it is Johnny Storm). A black Mr Fantastic would have been more out there (even if we would all be lamenting that Idris Elba wasn't cast for the role), but in general I'm quite happy with a more diverse team. Not too sure about Jamie Bell as The Thing, in fact his casting is my only real concern because I don't think he has much on-screen presence.

So yeah, sign me up.

*Note, I'm one of the few not utterly outraged by the recent casting of Lex Luthor.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
No problem here with Jordan playing Torch, so long as they keep the sibling relationship between Johnny and Sue. Characters are mutable, and change shouldn't be shunned. If Peter Dinklage can play Bolivar Trask and it fits into the story, then I have no doubt they can make the Torch as a black man work.

A small part of me wants to see this movie bomb so hard Fox has to give the franchise back to Marvel, but most of me just wants to see a good movie.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Does anyone else want to see Micheal Jordan as Mr. Fantastic? I haven't seen any of his acting but he looks to be more suited to it than the two interchangeable white guys.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
... I don't need to mention the race thing, right? Right. Moving on...

They're way too young. Reed, in particular, looks way too young.

I can't wait to see who they cast as Dr. Doom, his former college buddy...

You can absolutely tell this is a "we gotta make a film to keep the rights" thing.

Which wouldn't be the first time they've done that with the Fantastic Four...

The greater tragedy is this keeps Dr. Doom away from The Avengers for the indefinite future, and we certainly won't be seeing Silver Surfer, the Skrulls, or Galactus showing up in Guardians of the Galaxy any time soon.

Geez, Fox. Even when you're NOT involved in something, you're still screwing it up. That takes talent.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Miles Teller and Michael B. Jordan are both in a current movie together that's probably still being shown in theaters. "That Awkward Moment" if you're curious. Fair movie with a pretty typical story. Pretty funny though, and I did like these two actors in it so I'm looking forward to it.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Josh Engen said:
But lets not forget that The Fantastic Four was created in 1961, a time when black characters weren't exactly common. And these films have their own unique mythology, so a little cultural diversity shouldn't be scary.
Or, you know...instead of relying on lazy writing, writers could come up with new characters that are Black. But maybe that's asking to much for people to actually do some work and actually create a new character instead of changing the race of a already established character.

Better yet, why not focus the spotlight on already established Black characters like Spawn?

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
If you want a black guy in there, get Morgan Freeman as mr fantastic. He can pull it off and satisfy any political correctness / need to rebell buy using a black cast member.

Also if Johnny and Sue are family, they should either be both white or both black. One white and one black aint gonna work. Yes it is possible for a couple to have white and black kids, but there needs to be black grandparents for that to happen. The more black family the less likely it is to have children with two different skin tones.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Longstreet said:
Also if Johnny and Sue are family, they should either be both white or both black. One white and one black aint gonna work. Yes it is possible for a couple to have white and black kids, but there needs to be black grandparents for that to happen. The more black family the less likely it is to have children with two different skin tones.
It might actually make the reboot feel a little more "current" if they were step-brother and step-sister rather than blood siblings. Families with children from previous marriages have become far more common since the comics were originally devised.

#justathought

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Why not asian cast? There's more asians in the world than black but it seems americans are obssessed with black people. And is just don't make sense with a black human torch and a white invisible woman. Makes more sense if mr.fantastic or the thing was black if they really want someone black in the movie.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I don't mind Johnny Storm being played by a black actor. It offers a new wrinkle on the story plus it another opportunity for African/American actors to work on a project that isn't another Tyler Perry movie. But the whole casting feels too young IMO. Then again, word is that this will be based on the Ultimate Marvel version of the Fantastic Four; a series where its only high point was that it introduced the Marvel Zombies Universe and even that undead cash cow got milked so quickly that its utters fell off.

Overall, I'm not feeling very thrilled about this project; at least not right now. Unless a trailer comes along to prove otherwise, there's nothing here to get me excited. I'd like this to be good but, given that Fox is merely doing this to keep the rights from going back to Marvel, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
erbkaiser said:
Goddammit Hollywood. Stop this blackwashing of characters just to get your black actors in. Heimdall and Hogun in Thor portraying NORSE GODS were bad enough.
To be fair to Idris Elba, I really can't think of anyone else who could have done Heimdall that well.

The MAJOR issue with this casting: Torchie is supposed to the brother of the Invisible Woman, not the "brother". So I guess they're going to break the family connection, or is Kate Mara supposed to pass as half-black?
Why not cast a black actor as Ben Grimm/The Thing instead? He has no family relation to the other characters. Heck they could also have made Mr Fantastic black instead, but no they chose to mess with half of a sibling pair.
This is my big issue. As someone above pointed out, it seems that their Human Torch and Mr. Fantastic should swap places. I can be fine with retconned ethnicities, but if they aren't even going to try and match siblings I don't have much hope for them keeping the rest of the film connected.
And if they're going to try and pass off adopted siblings (which could be okay), it's just going into a recurring not-funny-the-first-time gag of "No man, I'm adopted!"

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The actors look fairly young, but it's gonna be interesting to see what route their going down with the younger cast, especially if they're using arcs from Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Gonna be keeping tabs on this film's production.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ridiculous casting is ridiculous. I get the younger cast, young and younger is what Hollywood does, but it's going to be hard to take the black and white brethren seriously unless they're explicitly step-siblings (if that's a word). Or are they supposed to be the one-in-a-million blood exception?

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
erbkaiser said:
Goddammit Hollywood. Stop this blackwashing of characters just to get your black actors in. Heimdall and Hogun in Thor portraying NORSE GODS were bad enough.
Hogun's MEANT to be Asian, they explicitly state he isn't from Asgard he's from a different realm and he's been drawn since the 19-fuckin-60's as being more fitting the Ghengis Khan/mongol style image. Jesus, if your going to get your racist underwear in a twist do it at things that actually change stuff (I kinda think Idris Elba acted the part of Heimdall well so not too bothered about it but he IS white in the comics, so that one's at least got a grounding)

OT: Yeah, blood-siblings with split races is stupid, step-siblings kinda works but changes the dynamic a load. Honestly, like someone above said, if this is the worst thing about the movie I'll be amazed, it looks lie a fucking train wreck.

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
Its strange that the casting has touched upon pretty much the absolute only significant thing about the fantastic 4 that can very obviously be affected by race changing a character.

Is there a reason Sue Storm could not be black as well?

How about Reed Richards instead? It may not matter in the grand scheme of things, but it would add diversity to the cast and simultaneously avoid the distraction that is narrowing down the sibling relationship between the Storms.

Ben Grimm is eliminated on grounds of defeating their very obvious purpose of diversifying the team.

I really hope Johnny wasn't deemed the safe option because he's the team's funny man. I'd really like to think that there's a deeper meaning behind the casting decision. Some sort of grand vision that we are not privy too outside the studio halls. Maybe exploration of what it truly means to be a family, to go with an obvious direction.

Not gonna lie though, unless they improve significantly upon the last two movies, none of is going to matter in the slightest.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
croc3629 said:
Is there a reason Sue Storm could not be black as well?
At a completely cynical guess, the reason is there is a rule about how many white people have to be in the cast before there can be two black people (I'd estimate the ratio is about 1:6). A secondary but equally cynical guess is they want the audience to find Sue sexually attractive, and in America, Caucasian features are considered the norm for physical beauty.