The Fat Nerd Stereotype

Turkey Braveheart

Apr 15, 2010
We've all seen/heard the stereotype of the fat, weak gamer or nerd. I'm wondering, is that close to the truth? I've been at both ends of the spectrum. At 17 I was 320 lbs, and two years later had dropped to just 207 lbs after a lot of hard work and strict diet. In the last year, I've gotten into weight lifting and lift at least four days a week. I'm very happy with the results (my posture, build) and plan to keep going. Before my big weight gain, I played hockey too.

How about you guys? Play any sports? Want to lose weight? And I'd be happy to give advice if you're looking to cut weight.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I'm at a pretty good weight for an 18 year old probably because I have pretty good eating habits.

As for sports, I think trying to play a DragonForce song on expert is pretty good exercise :)

Feb 9, 2011
I'm actually under weight. I'm like a stick, heh. I'm the same weight I was when I was 15 years old. That's good and bad depending on how you look at it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm gaining weight unfortunately but I haven't hit over 150lb yet.

I need to start working out again. I'm not obese though XD

[sub]I don't think that stereotype applies to every nerd...[/sub]

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
I'd describe myself as a chubby nerd. I once got myself down to 10st, then thought "you know what fuck it I don't want to eat lettuce for the rest of my life" (I have a slow metabolism thanks to my anti-depressants, sigh) and now I eat what I want in moderation and do regular exercise and I'm a happy 13st. I won't break any Olympic records but I'm not freaking out my GP, either.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I doubt it. Mega nerds are probably smart enough to eat healthy.

AlthorEnchantor

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, say that to my school's engineering department and see if you still have all your limbs afterwards. Hell, I played D&D with this one guy? He always rolls the beefy tank guy, and in real life, he looks exactly like his character!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
6"2 and I could probably hide behind a lamppost. I can pull my weight physically in a rugby match but I excel at flat-out avoiding the challenges. Throw it along once or twice and I'll take it and weave through the weak outer edges no problem.

The stereotype is just one of those easy comedy targets. It's as much outdated as it is inaccurate.

Wolfpocalypse

Nov 18, 2009
well i dont think its a fair stereotype tbh, the nerdyest guy i know is lean to the point of not being there at all and actually really fit, hes even trained as a life guard and all... personnally, well if never had a problem with my weight, ive always been silently proud that im a strong guy, and im probly your bog standard nerd. recently though i have gained weight largely down to stress, and being in a long term relationship i feel ive become complacent with my looks, because shes a lovely girl and dosent care about my weight. but on the other hand she deserves better from me, so i wanna take the weight off and get back to my old self...

sorry for the life story, but you know you were honest too and hay well done on taking off the pounds, u should be proud man.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
erm, im overweight, and a nerd to the max, but im strong like bear!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think the obesity rate on this forum is particularly distorted considering that most of our members are from countries where obesity is a major public health concern (The US, UK, Canada, and Australia).

I think it's pretty unfair to single out nerds as fatties when obesity has become pretty mainstream.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
I hope it's not foreshadowing, that's for sure. I've got a crazy metabolism, but there's always a chance of it slowing down. Right now I'm pretty average, in height and weight, but I'm not too tough. I fit the nerd stereotype of being really weak and physically unfit, but I look really healthy, if maybe always tired. I need to start working out though.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm a nerd, and admittedly a bit over a healthy weight, but I'm working on loosing some pounds!

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Back when I worked out everyday I was in pretty amazing shape, since Christmas break though i've been lazy. I'm still a bit under the average woman's weight for my height, but i'm going to have to at least start jogging soon.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I need to change my eating habits at some point. I need to lay off the junk food, in a big way.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I was sort of a lesser version of that stereotype (215 lbs, fairly strong due to working as a manual laborer most of the time) up until I was 22... when I joined the army (I weighed 155lbs at the end of basic training, 180 with a lot more muscle mass than I'd ever had before six years later when I came home).

My advice to anyone wanting to lose weight: find a pool and swim. Every day. For at least an hour. Swimming is one of those activities where you not only work every muscle in your body, but you can easily set your own pace and not overexert yourself.

Sep 13, 2010
the idea of the fat or skinny nerd is out there because it is not as rare as we would like to think, my local game store is always full of people who are one trip to crispy cream from not being able to fit through the door, and guys who could hide between the bookshelves if they wanted to

intense strength training, heavy labor, and a hearty diet have made me a 240lb brick of an person. and I am intensely proud of my strength and would not trade it for a six pack any time soon,

Au Naturel.

Apr 4, 2010
I'm pretty skinny, and in pretty good shape. I do parkour in the summer which keeps me in nice shape, but in the wintertime that's out and I generally become more out of shape-y. I still go out and frolic in the snow!

I'm about 6 feet, and I average at about 140 pounds. It's very difficult for me to gain or lose weight. I'm very grateful for that!

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
I've done TaeKwonDo, I do swim quite a bit and in the spring/summer I bike a lot. 60-80 km a time if I got a few hours to kill.
And every weekend at Friday and/or Saturday I hot the bars with my friends.
Though this winter I've been a lazy slob and is about to get ready to roll out again.
I'm 186 cm tall and weighs in at 75-78 kg. Haven't weighed myself for quite a while.