The Final Fantasy XIII DLC Mystery

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Final Fantasy XIII DLC Mystery

Will Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] have DLC? Who knows! It looks like Square-Enix sure doesn't.

We already knew that there was a ton of content planned that never made it into the final version of Final Fantasy XIII - enough to make an entire additional game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97532-Mounds-of-Content-Cut-from-Final-Fantasy-XIII], in fact. With that in mind, the question became "Well, will we see it added back into the game?" This is the era of DLC, after all - why throw so much content to waste?

In the Final Fantasy XIII Ultima Guides, Producer Yoshinori Kitase reportedly answered the question, according to Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/28/ffxiii_download_content/], saying that while the staff had considered the idea of DLC - and that it was certainly possible given how the game was built - it wasn't in the cards at the moment. Kitase's team wanted the game to be a cohesive single package, and DLC would have delayed an already long-in-development game even further.

"If asked if it's possible or impossible, it's possible. However, at present we're not considering it."

However, Andriasang also noted that Director Motomu Toriyama stoked fan flames by posting on boards prior to the game's release and suggesting that those who held onto the game for a while instead of reselling it would be rewarded in the long run - indicating some form of extra content to come down the road.

The notion that FF13 would have DLC was stoked by a report posted on NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19493703&postcount=4563], where a Dutch forumgoer claimed to have the latest issue of Official Playstation Magazine, and that there was a two-page interview with Kitase. In response to a question about whether the Western version would have any additional content to the Japanese version thanks to the wait, the NeoGAF user claimed that Kitase's answer was as follows:

[blockquote]At first we had plans to release the game simultaneously worldwide, so we had the intention to deliver identical version between the regions. When we noticed that we wouldn't make it, we decided to release the game as fast as possible in the west after its release in Japan. We initially had doubts to add extra content to the western version but then it would have taken the international version more months of delay. We did prepare a DLC but it will arrive a little later in the west.[/blockquote]

So there we have it: Both third-party rumors, claiming information from works that have yet to be openly published. Clearly, one of these Yoshinori Kitases is right, and one is wrong - but which one? Will Final Fantasy XIII have DLC, or won't it? Can someone at Square-Enix please make up their mind?

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232954])

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
It probably depends on how well the game does, they'll definitely shell out DLC for a quick buck.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Well, if it doesn't, it'll certainly be bucking the current trend. I'm not sure quite what downloadble content they could put in though. Maybe some new armour, or a new side quest, that might work nicely.

Still, if they were thinking about putting back some of the area content they'd decided not to use, it negates the point of discarding it. Why take it out just to put it back?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Socken said:
It probably depends on how well the game does, they'll definitely shell out DLC for a quick buck.
I think most people would.

I just hope its something good

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
DLC, super special edition, re-release?
The way doesn't matter; Square Enix WILL wring EVERY PENNY OUT OF THE GAME FOR SURE.
Because they're really evil corporate heads and all.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
DLC for FFXIII is guarenteed. In the modern age of games, expansions are getting released to games for 3 main reasons.

1) Milk fans for extra money
2) Add to a game last minute or planned ideas to finish the game to their idea of perfection
3) People like me who complain about the length of a game.

I like the idea of FFXIII DLC, but only if it's extra dungeons and story expansions. Maybe they'll make a FFXIII-2 since they had enough content for another game.

All I know is more DLC for this means a longer period before Final Fantasy get's buried with XIV and XV since XIII is the last traditional Final Fantasy... aledgedly.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm hoping they will not do DLC and show some class/integrity. It would be nice to see a complete game again that isn't shadowed by what was held out for purposes of selling it as DLC

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Therumancer said:
I'm hoping they will not do DLC and show some class/integrity. It would be nice to see a complete game again that isn't shadowed by what was held out for purposes of selling it as DLC
Not all games are Resident Evil 5. Content gets cut long before games ship for any number of reasons. Developers understandably don't like seeing cool ideas go, but need to make deadlines. Developers add said content later on as DLC. I don't see anything wrong with this.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Therumancer said:
...Why does everyone assume DLC is automatically a money grab? It isn't. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
John Funk said:
Therumancer said:
Not all games are Resident Evil 5. Content gets cut long before games ship for any number of reasons. Developers understandably don't like seeing cool ideas go, but need to make deadlines. Developers add said content later on as DLC. I don't see anything wrong with this.
On a certain level you might be right, however before the entire "digital" trend it seemed to me that effort was made to ensure that games were complete in of themselves. A lot of the DLC seems like things that would have otherwise been included in the game, but weren't because the company figured it could nickel and dime people. To me things seem to be turning out very much like when Game Informer was making jokes about EA trying to get people to pay extra money to "put air in the ball" with their sports titles. Multiplayer modes, storage chests, and similar things are features that very much would have been a part of games if companies decided they couldn't sell them seperatly.

I also look at how DLC is being released right alongside the games, parallel development and the time it's ready showing that had they simply condensed the design team that stuff could have been in the game itself, and only isn't because the company knows it can make an extra couple of bucks this way.

To me DLC should properly be an addition to the game, and something that is made later, not developed right along with the game. What's more a lot of these extra features are (as I and others have said) things that otherwise would have been in the game.

"Resident Evil 5" is the worst offender, but "Dragon Age: Origins" and "Borderlands" are not far behind due to selling storage chests which have been an RPG staple for years and something people both expect and rely on. Then of course you've got "Street Fighter IV" selling extra costumes for characters, when exta costumes have become something you traditionally unlock through play, not purchuse seperatly from the game.

This is not to say that there hasn't been "worthy" DLC developed, but face it, in the end the games industry is out to make money. As time goes on it's becoming increasingly corrupt and less concerned about what methods it uses to make money, or even what the fans think.

To me the idea of DLC was for companies to release full fledged expansion packs for games similar to say the ancient "Forge Of Virtue" and "Silver Seed" for Ultima 7, or the "Secret Missions" add ons for Wing Commander, and to make it cheaper and more practical due to online distribution. Right now there have only been a few expansions that I felt fit this definition, most like the upcoming "Awakening" expansion for "Dragon Age" are being sold
with a price tag akin to a full game.

But then again a lot of this also overlaps with my problems with digital distribution in general. It seems Digital Distribution has succeeded in pretty much every way except for lowering prices of games. An article on The Escapist pretty much had the 1C company's rep talking about how he can make $10 more off a digital download of a $20 product (when he formerly saw $4 which was enough to be profitable). The thing is though that the idea was that instead of pocketing that money the cost of games was supposed to be drastically reduced, which is not happening.

Tiny DLC packs of things people would have normally gotten as part of a game years ago are just a way of nickel and diming the gaming populance. There is absolutly no reason why given the time it was finished that "Warden's Keep" shouldn't have been part of "Dragon Age: Origins", especially given that it's basically a novel way of introducing what should be a stock feature. Borderlands pulled pretty much the same thing with "Mad Moxxi" albeit the one defense that can be made there is that it wasn't apparently done at the same time as the main game, but there is no reason why people should have had to wait to buy DLC for access to item storage.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
John Funk said:
However, Andriasang also noted that Director Motomu Toriyama stoked fan flames by posting on boards prior to the game's release and suggesting that those who held onto the game for a while instead of reselling it would be rewarded in the long run - indicating some form of extra content to come down the road.
This bothers me. Making empty promises about future rewards for people who have been subscribers is a cheap way to get people to stay playing the game. Especially since according to this article they pretty much blatantly stated "they are not considering dlc at this time". If you simply qualify what the reward is maybe people actually would stick around for the long haul.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Therumancer said:
John Funk said:
Therumancer said:
On a certain level you might be right, however before the entire "digital" trend it seemed to me that effort was made to ensure that games were complete in of themselves. A lot of the DLC seems like things that would have otherwise been included in the game, but weren't because the company figured it could nickel and dime people. To me things seem to be turning out very much like when Game Informer was making jokes about EA trying to get people to pay extra money to "put air in the ball" with their sports titles. Multiplayer modes, storage chests, and similar things are features that very much would have been a part of games if companies decided they couldn't sell them seperatly.

I also look at how DLC is being released right alongside the games, parallel development and the time it's ready showing that had they simply condensed the design team that stuff could have been in the game itself, and only isn't because the company knows it can make an extra couple of bucks this way.

To me DLC should properly be an addition to the game, and something that is made later, not developed right along with the game. What's more a lot of these extra features are (as I and others have said) things that otherwise would have been in the game.

"Resident Evil 5" is the worst offender, but "Dragon Age: Origins" and "Borderlands" are not far behind due to selling storage chests which have been an RPG staple for years and something people both expect and rely on. Then of course you've got "Street Fighter IV" selling extra costumes for characters, when exta costumes have become something you traditionally unlock through play, not purchuse seperatly from the game.

This is not to say that there hasn't been "worthy" DLC developed, but face it, in the end the games industry is out to make money. As time goes on it's becoming increasingly corrupt and less concerned about what methods it uses to make money, or even what the fans think.

To me the idea of DLC was for companies to release full fledged expansion packs for games similar to say the ancient "Forge Of Virtue" and "Silver Seed" for Ultima 7, or the "Secret Missions" add ons for Wing Commander, and to make it cheaper and more practical due to online distribution. Right now there have only been a few expansions that I felt fit this definition, most like the upcoming "Awakening" expansion for "Dragon Age" are being sold
with a price tag akin to a full game.

But then again a lot of this also overlaps with my problems with digital distribution in general. It seems Digital Distribution has succeeded in pretty much every way except for lowering prices of games. An article on The Escapist pretty much had the 1C company's rep talking about how he can make $10 more off a digital download of a $20 product (when he formerly saw $4 which was enough to be profitable). The thing is though that the idea was that instead of pocketing that money the cost of games was supposed to be drastically reduced, which is not happening.

Tiny DLC packs of things people would have normally gotten as part of a game years ago are just a way of nickel and diming the gaming populance. There is absolutly no reason why given the time it was finished that "Warden's Keep" shouldn't have been part of "Dragon Age: Origins", especially given that it's basically a novel way of introducing what should be a stock feature. Borderlands pulled pretty much the same thing with "Mad Moxxi" albeit the one defense that can be made there is that it wasn't apparently done at the same time as the main game, but there is no reason why people should have had to wait to buy DLC for access to item storage.
I'm going to just honestly assume that you don't know much about software development.

There comes a point at which no more content can be added to a game. Because it has to be tested, optimized, it has to be burned to a disc, et cetera. Developing bonus content AFTER the "this is going to be what goes on the disc" takes much less time.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
John Funk said:
"If asked if it's possible or impossible, it's possible. However, at present we're not considering it."
These words give me a queer sense of deja vu...

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Man, it's too early to be debating DLC, first they need to get off their arses and announce a North American collector's edition.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm going to just honestly assume that you don't know much about software development.

There comes a point at which no more content can be added to a game. Because it has to be tested, optimized, it has to be burned to a disc, et cetera. Developing bonus content AFTER the "this is going to be what goes on the disc" takes much less time.[/quote]

-

I do however know what I've already seen being done. I'm sorry but I am not buying that things like storage chests in RPG/item collection games, or alternative costumes for fighting game characters were too massive to be included. In fact looking at what other games in these generes have managed to do, I can make some pretty well educated guesses when it comes to a lot of this stuff.

Part of it is also that they aren't developing bonus content after the game has been released they are creating it alongside the game, where those people could be working on the main project or whatever. Indeed it very much seems like half the point is to make sure there are features they know the fanbase is going to consider integral to hook them into buying the product.

What's more some of this "DLC" is stuff that is already on your disc (or partially so) and your paying to unlock it.

Maverynthia

Sep 23, 2007
Considering what SE did with "My life as a king" (which is a DLC Wiiware game that comes out to be over $50 for all the DLC) you can be assured that they will milk this for all it's money. Certainly they WILL HAVE a whole extra part of the game that tells the whole story that's DLC only. Of course fans will complain... and shell out the money for it anyways. :p
Which is somthing I hate. People that will complain to the high heavens about the cost of games, how a game is dubbed (or doesn't have a Japanese voice option, censored, changed and mis-translated... but will be the FIRST IN LINE to buy it when it comes to their shores. Which simply SUPPORTS this kind of behavior in companies.