The First Descendent - I'm bored

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well things have been dry for me in the gaming space lately. I injured my back and have been lying around with nothing to do but watch youtube. And wouldn't you know it, I'm spammed with ads for The First Descendent a Nexon live service game that is a warframe/destiny/anthem loot shooter thing.

So fuck it, it's free to download lets try it.

Oh fuck it's kind fun?

So let's get the praise out of the way first. The gunplay feels good and the guns are all fun to use an shoot of which there are quite a lot of different type. From handguns, to grenade launchers and the typical fair inbetween and they all feel pretty good to use. Movement is great, not just running around but being able to double jump and use a grappling hook that preserves your momentium so you maintain running speed when using it, you can Spider-man your ass around the maps pretty quickly and it's cool as shit. Graphically the game is very pretty and the characters are Stellar Blade levels of hot so that's nice, the armors are all cool except the panda hats I don't understand that at all.

And what I like best is the missions. Not because they are particularly good because every mission is generic as shit. Protect the point, kill monsters, hoard mode, etc. But what I like is that they are all very very short. I've never had a mission go longer than 5 minutes. additionally if you try to start a mission that someone in the area is already doing you get to just jump in at whatever point they're on and you get full credit too. Even if you join and ten seconds later the mission ends, you still get credit but you get less exp because you didn't kill much. The other missions are straight up just raid bosses and I've only unlocked two of them so far but they're good fights with giant robots where you can blow off parts of them and cripple their abilities. It's very cool and the co-op is seamless which I love. The difficulty can feel a little rough if you end up soloing a mission but not crazy and I've not struggled doing anything alone so far.

The bad part is kind of the over-all design of things. The UI is shit, and the way you activate abilities is really awkward, the world map itself is kinda boring as if the whole world is designed to be a Call of Duty MP map. Unless a mission is live the world is lifeless so you can't just free roam grind on things while you parkour yourself around. The live-service shit is not terrible but the grind to unlock shit for free is pretty tedious but I guess that's par for the course. I have unlocked only one extra character so far and she's sort of a tutorial unlock so it's pretty easy, meanwhile the rest of the cast is clearly a much bigger grind.

It's a fine fuck-around game. I doubt I'll get much mileage out of it in the long run (the platinum seems really easy so i'll probably get that and then stop).

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So fuck it, it's free to download lets try it.
I tried Zenless Zone Zero, and quit before getting to Chapter 2. I know it's off topic but I tried free 2 play a (gacha) game and I didn't like it. The combat mechanics are good, and unique, but this should have just been a single player action game without the rpg and gacha elements.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I tried Zenless Zone Zero, and quit before getting to Chapter 2. I know it's off topic but I tried free 2 play a (gacha) game and I didn't like it. The combat mechanics are good, and unique, but this should have just been a single player action game without the rpg and gacha elements.
I tried Honky Tonky Railroad and really enjoy it as well, so I'm just in F2P nonsense atm.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The problem with this, and Snowbreak is that the game itself is pretty bad, and the creator shields it from being bad by tricking people by stating he is anti-woke. When he is likely not giving enough free pulls, being greedy, and not refining his gameplay.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The problem with this, and Snowbreak is that the game itself is pretty bad, and the creator shields it from being bad by tricking people by stating he is anti-woke. When he is likely not giving enough free pulls, being greedy, and not refining his gameplay.
what?