The First Fallout 4 Details Revealed - Update

Fcbook Del Orto

Feb 11, 2013
WOW!

Minigames, a tower defense game you'll never see and a Pip boy for your I-phone.

Did they say anything about quests? No? Well, but who cares?? I just hope there will be another quest to find 100 bottle caps of nuka cola, again! XD

This is going to be Sooo radical! Can't wait til november!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
neonit said:
I am worried. The game looks good but.... Dialogue wheel with max 4 options? Plus its voiced? The cool thing about fallout was that the dialogue options appear depending on your skill, sometimes multiple options. I worry that this will be gone.
Its possible that there will be an "Investigate" option or special dialogue options that Bioware games typically have. The four options we saw in the trailer may only be the dialogue options necessary to continue the conversation. We will have to wait and see if four options will be the full extent of the dialogue system.

Honestly I think people sometimes exaggerate the amount of dialogue options in Fallout 3 and New Vegas since. They talk about about how you had at least six dialogue options in those games while forgetting the fact that many of those dialogue options would fall under the "investigate option" in Bioware games. Though on the other hand I can understand the concern many have with this new system. By its very nature spoken dialogue is harder to produce than just simple text and as a result will have less variety by comparison.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
I am so fucking pumped. Not even that put off by the set backstory. I mean, in F2 your backstory was limited to a tribal with a family with set personalities, descended from the vault dweller, etc. and that was alright, and in New Vegas even where you're a well-travelled courier. So I'd say a loosely set backstory wouldn't be the end of the world, hell it might even be that your wife and child are dead and you have the option to not give a shit and become someone completely different. One can dream

Crafting's going to be so fucking great. I figured Fallout was all about the new civilisations that sprung up after the bombs wiped the slate clean, and how the people dealt with the remnants of the old world, and building your own settlements out of old world crap lying around sounds absolutely perfect. As for weapons, ever since the Jury-rigging perk I have hungered for more substantial repairs and modifications and this is a definite dream come true to be able to make your own instead of loitering outside the Gun Runner's shack until the part I want is for sale.

Voiced character, sure whatever, actions speak louder than words, it's not like Mass Effect was shit for having one. I'll miss the skill checks though.

Dog? Dog!

Bear in mind guys, Fallout is a peek at what 1950's America imagined of the future, and it's never been the most serious of games (side-eye at Fallout 3) so fuck yeah give me that jet pack shit I'll punch a BoS pilot in the dick mid-flight.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Jedamethis said:
I am so fucking pumped. Is it just me who assumed that your character is neither the parent shown, or the baby, that's just a cool character creation screen, and then you play as their great-grandchild who happens to look just like their ancestor? Because I agree, anything else would be weird. Then again, in F2 your backstory was limited to a tribal with a family with set personalities, descended from the vault dweller, etc. and that was alright, and in New Vegas even where you're a well-travelled courier. So I'd say a loosely set backstory wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'm still hoping there isn't one.

Crafting's going to be so fucking great. I figured Fallout was all about the new civilisations that sprung up after the bombs wiped the slate clean, and how the people dealt with the remnants of the old world, and building your own settlements out of old world crap lying around sounds absolutely perfect. As for weapons, ever since the Jury-rigging perk I have hungered for more substantial repairs and modifications and this is a definite dream come true to be able to make your own instead of loitering outside the Gun Runner's shack until the part I want is for sale.

Voiced character, sure whatever, actions speak louder than words, it's not like Mass Effect was shit for having one. I'll miss the skill checks though.

Dog? Dog!

Bear in mind guys, Fallout is a peek at what 1950's America imagined of the future, and it's never been the most serious of games (side-eye at Fallout 3) so fuck yeah give me that jet pack shit I'll punch a BoS pilot in the dick mid-flight.
Sorry to dissapoint, but it IS the parent that you choose at the beginning. In the gameplay trailer there's a scene were you meet the robot again and he not only recognices you, but your character also recognices him and basically says that he can't believe that it's been 200 years. I am guessing it's some kind of cyrogetik freezing or something.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Oh hey, yet another post-apocalyptic FPS with a tacked-on crafting system (and probably zombies or close enough to them :p ). Glad to see originality is alive and well in the world of videogames. At least it will be better than the roughly 200 other titles on steam that are almost exactly the same identical premise.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I have faith they will mess it up. Bethesda can't not release a game filled to the brim with bugs, glitches and day-to-day patches and balance issues.
Off the cusp reaction would be to wait 6+ months after release when its in an actually playable state.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Amaror said:
Jedamethis said:
Sorry to dissapoint, but it IS the parent that you choose at the beginning. In the gameplay trailer there's a scene were you meet the robot again and he not only recognices you, but your character also recognices him and basically says that he can't believe that it's been 200 years. I am guessing it's some kind of cyrogetik freezing or something.
Ah, found it. Well, shit

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
I'm going to go against the common opinion that I've seen. I love that our new protagonist is going to be an actual person with personality instead of a blank space to insert yourself into. This man, or woman, will be forced to see all that they knew and cared for be destroyed in front of their eyes including their spouse and son, and then awake 2 centuries afterwards, I have to presume cryogenics of some sort, to see the devastation of their home and the land they once proudly served. The first area you are said to go to is your old home with an old servant there to great you. This Pathos will be great to experience and work through and see how our character will deal with this. I cannot wait to see this character.

My two complaints are that the colors seem to be a bit to vibrant and I dislike the hud. . .I think that is about it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
The voiced character is a big improvement to me. Nothing killed my immersion quite like a one-sided conversation...which I'm pretty sure is technically an interrogation. I don't see any reason why a dialogue wheel can't behave like the old menus did - if The Witcher 3 could have so much voice acting, I don't see why Fallout 4 can't. Hell, I'd say CD Projekt Red's success with such an ambitious project should help pile on the hype for this, because we know it can work.

And maybe Vault 111 is cryogenics. But it might be cybernetics.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Replicated_Man

Edit: I also just wanted to add the player is the sole survivor of Vault 111, so unless they launched the baby out through the door right before it sealed, the baby's one of the casualties of Vault 111.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
I am so confused at people's harping on the dialog wheel. Other than the fact that it is a wheel and thus silly in regards to PC games, I understand the conversion since it is easier for consoles.

However, the dialogs being on a wheel instead of a list doesn't change any other fact. You want to have a character with 1 intelligence, go nuts, but odds of it effecting your dialog options are the same as it was in NV, or FO3... which is nothing. in FO1&2 yes a dumb character had different options. Hasn't been like that for a while.

In regards to checks, I would suspect them to be the same as in FO3 and NV in that certain options of dialog are locked behind having various perks/skill level.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Willinium said:
I'm going to go against the common opinion that I've seen. I love that our new protagonist is going to be an actual person with personality instead of a blank space to insert yourself into. This man, or woman, will be forced to see all that they knew and cared for be destroyed in front of their eyes including their spouse and son, and then awake 2 centuries afterwards, I have to presume cryogenics of some sort, to see the devastation of their home and the land they once proudly served. The first area you are said to go to is your old home with an old servant there to great you. This Pathos will be great to experience and work through and see how our character will deal with this. I cannot wait to see this character.

My two complaints are that the colors seem to be a bit to vibrant and I dislike the hud. . .I think that is about it.
In the hands of another developer, a very compelling story could be created from this. But this is Bethesda. They don't have the ability to write a story like this. Instead you'll have wooden delivery Angsting about characters that nobody cares about because they aren't interesting, and far too much callback to the Old World, which has never mattered much in Fallout in the first place. Bethesda neither understands Fallout or stories in general. If this game is good, and I hope it is, it will stand entirely on the quality of its gameplay, not a half baked muh baby plot.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Unfortunately, Todd Howard then went on to finish the conference by pulling off his face and revealing Peter Molyneux.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
bigfatcarp93 said:
Unfortunately, Todd Howard then went on to finish the conference by pulling off his face and revealing Peter Molyneux.
. . .Is it wrong that your post made me laugh manically?
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Willinium said:

In the hands of another developer, a very compelling story could be created from this. But this is Bethesda. They don't have the ability to write a story like this. Instead you'll have wooden delivery Angsting about characters that nobody cares about because they aren't interesting, and far too much callback to the Old World, which has never mattered much in Fallout in the first place. Bethesda neither understands Fallout or stories in general. If this game is good, and I hope it is, it will stand entirely on the quality of its gameplay, not a half baked muh baby plot.
Does Obsidian have anything to do with the writing in this upcoming game? If so then I think that they may be able to pull it off, and I must dispute your point that the Old World never mattered when in fact I view it as one of the most important pieces of the lore. Without the Great War and all the factions actions that lead to it then none of the games we so love today would be the same. With such a dramatic backdrop the motivations of our characters and the npc's and their factions in Fallout NV and Fallout 3 (DC) are given weight and importance. On whether Bethesda can pull off the pathos that they wish to, I say that we should give them a chance after all no one expected Dishonored to be as good as it was so perhaps they will strike gold once more.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Silentpony said:
I have faith they will mess it up. Bethesda can't not release a game filled to the brim with bugs, glitches and day-to-day patches and balance issues.
Off the cusp reaction would be to wait 6+ months after release when its in an actually playable state.
Atleast the eventual New Vegas conversion mod will be awesome.

In 10 years.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Completely forgot to mention... THERE ARE NO SKILLS ANY MORE:

No 'skills' tab on the SPECIAL screen.
Intelligence didn't give extra skill points every level, just extra exp.
Science is now listed as a required perk for weapon crafting instead of a skill.

So they are almost certainly dumbing it down. Fan-fucking-tastic. I guess skills were too much for the Call of Duty crowd to deal with.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Genocidicles said:
soren7550 said:
Holy christ, so many sour, bitter people here. "Gur-hur, the player character is more than a camera and a weapon, you can do some society rebuilding, and you start off in a heavily American 1950s styled era where hertro marriage and kids were the norm? THIS IS TEH RUINATION OF FEH SERIES!! BETHESDURS IS IN TES GARBAGE TANK. GIMMIE BACK MY MONIES."
People are angry because it's a step back from New Vegas.

You'll be stuck playing the same character (pre war husband/wife) looking for their kid in every single playthrough, and giving the character a voice means you'll have less dialogue options. Look at the differences between Bioware games before and after they started voicing their protagonists.

The crafting looks pretty sweet but other than that it just looks so much more shallow than New Vegas.
Bethesda didn't develop New Vegas though. Obsidian were the developers and Bethesda just published it. It can't really be a step back since Bethesda didn't develop it. If anything this proves Obsidian are the masters of RPGs.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Bat Vader said:
Bethesda didn't develop New Vegas though. Obsidian were the developers and Bethesda just published it. It can't really be a step back since Bethesda didn't develop it. If anything this proves Obsidian are the masters of RPGs.
It's a step back for the Fallout franchise. It doesn't matter who made it. Did Bethesda just look at all the improvements made in New Vegas and decide they should just chuck them out?

Fcbook Del Orto

Feb 11, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Completely forgot to mention... THERE ARE NO SKILLS ANY MORE:

No 'skills' tab on the SPECIAL screen.
Intelligence didn't give extra skill points every level, just extra exp.
Science is now listed as a required perk for weapon crafting instead of a skill.

So they are almost certainly dumbing it down. Fan-fucking-tastic. I guess skills were too much for the Call of Duty crowd to deal with.
Because that's what real fans want, less thinking and more Teddy bears critical hits that smash the evil supermutant head into pieces. Who needs stats when you got guns?

Remember the lesson from Fallout 3 "Violence is fun!"

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Fcbook Del Orto said:
Because that's what real fans want, less thinking and more Teddy bears critical hits that smash the evil supermutant head into pieces. Who needs stats when you got guns?

Remember the lesson from Fallout 3 "Violence is fun!"
I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a fucking multiplayer mode at this point.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
Why are so many people assuming the game is going to be a giant quest for the baby? there is no evidence to support that.

It is a likely possible story but i really dont think so.