The First Ghostbusters Trailer Ain't Afraid of No Ghost

Deathfish15

New member
Nov 7, 2006
579
0
0
So they use an excess of 'slime' (ectoplasm) in comparison to the originals. [I know the 2nd one was all about the river of ectoplam controlled by Vigo in the museum painting; that was the plot of the movie and still held it's own as being seldom used and not looking like the stuff from a Nickelodeon awards show.]

CGI explosions! Or the explosive use of CGI. Either way it makes the ghosts look less ghostly and more like a dead circus. Seriously....a dead freakin' circus! The original had ghosts look like ghosts and demons look like demons (Key Master and Gate Keeper). The titanic looked like the wrecked ship it was with a normal group of undead ship crew stepping off it. Ghosts boarded between normal lookies and zombies. These new Ghostbuster ghosts are far too glowy. TOO MUCH GLOW!~



And what they've replaced Egon with is laughably bad. Egon was an awkward kind of funny. His jokes, when he tried to make them, were out of place like the science class "geek" trying to fit in with the cool kids. He always sounded smarter than everyone else and looked the part of the scientist. This newish Egon replacement basically points -Fonzie style- at a whiteboard filled with science text. Really? BAD!

Also, replacing a Firehouse with a Hong Kong Asian restaurant? Really? Why? Can the female-counterparts not slide down the fire-pole when the ghost sirens go off? Was there someone on the set that said "no firehouse pole because it would be too indicative of 'stripper' with an all-female cast" instead of understanding the nostalgic context of the original material? Which, by the way, was about them responding to ghost calls much like firemen (firePEOPLE) would respond to fires as an emergency situation.


The movie looks like a passable dud on release. No, not because of the all-female cast; that wouldn't be an issue at all if they stick to the actual characteristics/context of the original material. It looks like a failure because too much CGI and trying way too hard to be funny rather than letting the material make the funny within the confines of the story.
 

Ishigami

New member
Sep 1, 2011
830
0
0
I like that the Trailer has more dislikes than likes.
Other than that... *meh* comes to mind.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
Ishigami said:
I like that the Trailer has more dislikes than likes.
It's almost as if people don't want a shitty, unfunny remake of a classic comedy, especially when there are enough actors from the original still alive to make a sequel even if only as a secondary role (bill murray is open to the idea of being a ghost in a sequel movie after all)
 

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4,797
0
0
Thought it looked enjoyable. Kate McKinnon in particular stood out. So yeah, consider me "cautiously optimistic" too.
 

Siege_TF

New member
May 9, 2010
582
0
0
That stupid grin on the library ghost's face put me right off, then a female anatomy joke because that's funny for the whole audience, then some filler, plot spoilers, laser traps and proton knuckles, and finally 'The power of pain compels you' because we don't want to trigger anybody by using the C-word. Edgy, but safe. The best kind of comedy.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,365
1,509
118
Xsjadoblayde said:
Should've expected the escapist audience would preemptively judge the whole thing by the trailer, as even a picture alone is enough to bring on the salty fingertips of dismissal. :)
Just as with the picture though, this is a snippet that's suppose to be indicative of the final product. It is released under the guise of 'This is what we're going for; Whadda ya think?' We're supposed to judge whether we want to go see a movie based on the trailer, so how can we not judge?
 

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
6,438
0
0
I have to be honest - I don't hate this. I don't like it either. But it's the first thing I've seen out of this movie's pre-release that didn't make me want to cry a little.

I still have no intention of seeing it, but I can kind of see how this wont be a colossal train wreck. I don't like the gear design, but it's not complete garbage. I don't like Melissa McCarthy, but I'm not seeing a lot of her previous (And massively annoying) performances in this particular movie. The 'yelling black lady' is pretty much the only thing I really don't like, but the trailer makes it seem less terrible then I initially imagined.

So... nice try, Columbia.
 

SecondPrize

New member
Mar 12, 2012
1,436
0
0
Oh my word.
Well, at least I'll still have the original and its sequel, the video game developed by Terminal Reality.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
So wait, did they just make a vagina joke? She has slime in every crack, and as a woman she has a vagina, so the implication is yes, slime in her vagina. Because she's a woman. And women, traditionally, have vaginas.

I think that sums up this whole mess perfectly. Its a reboot and the jokes literally are "We are women." I'm going to go out on a limb here and say every single punchline could be replaced with "and I'm a woman" and the jokes wouldn't lose a single ounce of humor.
 

RJ Dalton

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,285
0
0
Oh, wow, not a single joke in the trailer landed. And one or two made me feel physically ill.

Skipping.
 

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
4,953
6
13
Casual Shinji said:
Just as with the picture though, this is a snippet that's suppose to be indicative of the final product. It is released under the guise of 'This is what we're going for; Whadda ya think?' We're supposed to judge whether we want to go see a movie based on the trailer, so how can we not judge?
Eh, anybody retaining enough experience with films vs trailers should be all too aware that rarely is a trailer ever indicative of the quality of the final product. And, if you were to read the bit above the quoted section, i mentioned comedies are terrible with their trailers. They always pick the lowest common denominator gags out of context to dangle in front of the easily distracted audience. It is unavoidable in this genre i guess. Anyhow, as Pluvia mentioned, the original two films weren't exactly great, just some childish fun. I don't see what is so sacred about all these memories people claim to have.
 

Hawk eye1466

New member
May 31, 2010
619
0
0
This is pretty much what I figured it would look like, basically just a redo of the first with a different cast and no idea how to make it funny or make real characters instead of the regular stereotypes. And what's with the circus theme all the ghosts seem to have?
 

Kuala BangoDango

New member
Mar 19, 2009
191
0
0
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the trailer. I thought it was decently funny, but then I am into cheesy humor. I can easily imagine the original characters doing these exact things and making the same jokes.

Now, whether they put the best parts from the movie into the trailer or not we'll find out.

I do agree though that some of the "Hey, we're scientists! See? Scienc-y stuff! (ala the dry-eraseboard, etc.)" may have been a bit overplayed but, due to it being a short trailer, some of the context of those situations wasn't shown so I'd have to see the full events to better judge.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
Well, I liked it. I thought it was rather amusing. I'm wondering if they'll run into any of the original cast.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,365
1,509
118
Xsjadoblayde said:
Anyhow, as Pluvia mentioned, the original two films weren't exactly great, just some childish fun. I don't see what is so sacred about all these memories people claim to have.
Well, that's subjective, isn't it? You can say the first Back to the Future wasn't great, or Raiders of the Lost Ark. It depends what you consider 'great'. Both those films, as well as the first Ghostbusters, did what they did very, very well. This is why these movies are so foundly remembered. And why other movies have tried to copy their formula.
 

Gorrath

New member
Feb 22, 2013
1,648
0
0
Xsjadoblayde said:
Casual Shinji said:
Just as with the picture though, this is a snippet that's suppose to be indicative of the final product. It is released under the guise of 'This is what we're going for; Whadda ya think?' We're supposed to judge whether we want to go see a movie based on the trailer, so how can we not judge?
Eh, anybody retaining enough experience with films vs trailers should be all too aware that rarely is a trailer ever indicative of the quality of the final product. And, if you were to read the bit above the quoted section, i mentioned comedies are terrible with their trailers. They always pick the lowest common denominator gags out of context to dangle in front of the easily distracted audience. It is unavoidable in this genre i guess. Anyhow, as Pluvia mentioned, the original two films weren't exactly great, just some childish fun. I don't see what is so sacred about all these memories people claim to have.
I'm surprised you say that the original films aren't all that good. While the second one isn't rated all the highly, and I can see why, the first film has a 97% on RT. I mean, it may not be your cup of tea, sure, but the consensus is that it was pretty masterful. I agree with the consensus on this one.