The First Image of Benedict Cumberbatch As Doctor Strange

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
The First Image of Benedict Cumberbatch As Doctor Strange

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1024/1024319.jpg

Entertainment Weekly drops a fully costumed Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange on us in its latest issue.

We've known for more than a year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138896-Benedict-Cumberbatch-Officially-Cast-As-Marvels-Doctor-Strange] that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be playing the Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange in the upcoming Marvel film scheduled for late 2016, but now we get a look at the man in costume for the first time.

Entertainment Weekly has released it's latest issue [http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/doctor-strange-first-look-benedict-cumberbatch-ew] with Cumberbatch in full DS garb on its cover. Inside there are supposedly additional images from the set. The film is still early in production, with a release set for November 4, giving Cumberbatch plenty of time to learn the intricacies of the spellcasting hand motions.

"I'm still in the infancy of learning all that," Cumberbatch told EW. "It was like, okay, I've got to keep throwing these poses, these spells, these rune-casting things, everything he does physically. I'm thinking, there's going to be a huge amount of speculation and intrigue over the positioning of that finger as opposed to it being there, or there. And I'm still working on that. We haven't played any of those scenes yet. I felt really self-conscious. But, then, by the end, it was great. It's like anything, you just have to experiment."

The film, which began production last month and and should be finished in March, is being directed by Scott Derrickson and also stars Tilda Swinton as Strange's mentor The Ancient One, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Strange's antagonist Karl Mordo, as well as Rachel McAdams and Mads Mikkelsen.

The origin-story film is expected to follow the comics fairly closely, with Strange as an immensely successful neurosurgeon whose life is ruined when a car accident irreparably damages his hands. His path to healing leads him to Nepal to meet the Ancient One.

[gallery=5270]

"As we were developing this film, we looked at the Ancient One as a mantle more than a specific person," said producer Kevin Feige said in an interview earlier this year [http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/06/28/expect-mind-bending-weirdness-from-doctor-strange-says-kevin-feige]. "The sorcerers have been around for millennia, protecting us from things we didn't know about until this story. There have been multiple [Ancient Ones], even if this one has been around for five hundred years, there were others. This is a mantle, and therefore felt we had leeway to cast in interesting ways."

Check out the video below for more background on how the film is being handled. The screenshot gallery also includes several shots from filming in Nepal.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/doctor-strange-first-look-benedict-cumberbatch-ew]

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
That's strange, I thought Marvel was done with origin stories.

Dude looks like Dr. Strange though. No complaints there.

Also typo (i hope):
John Keefer said:
The screenshot gallery also includes several shits from filming in Nepal.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Spaceman Spiff said:

Dude looks like Dr. Strange though. No complaints there.

Also typo (i hope):
John Keefer said:
The screenshot gallery also includes several shits from filming in Nepal.
OH FECAL MATTER. Fixed.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm still bummed we didn't get Joaquin Phoenix. Cumberbatch is fine, I guess, he just seems like such a typical choice.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Getting some serious Errol Flynn vibes with that 'tache. Looks good and he's a great actor, even if he is a little overexposed at the moment.

Also Chiwetel Ejiofor and Mads Mikkelsen are in this too? Awesome.
EDIT: and Tilda Swinton? Fuck. Yes. She's fucking incredible. If nothing else, this is going to be the best acted Marvel film by a country mile.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Spaceman Spiff said:
It's been my understanding that the movie takes place after he's already Doctor Strange, and just has brief flashes to his past.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
It's been my understanding that the movie takes place after he's already Doctor Strange, and just has brief flashes to his past.
Ah cool. I hope that's the case. I rather liked the opening to Guardians to quickly establish Star Prince's past.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That third picture with his ragged beard is very much Christian Bale, from The Machinist. A promising cast here, do not know of this character much but am inclined to see this.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
As excited as I am to see him in this, I really want them to make a new season of Sherlock. I mean, the Victorian-era episode we will be getting soon will be cool but still it has been years...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I can say is that he certainly look like the character. Seriously it look like as if Dr Strange had found a way to enter our real world!

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
"I felt really self-conscious". This coming from the dude who played Smaug by getting in a black unitard and crawling around like a lizard delivering Tolkein lines. Those must be some pretty absurd hand gestures.

Scarim Coral said:
All I can say is that he certainly look the character. Seriously he look like as if Dr Strange had found a way to enter our real world!
Very much agreed, that was my first thought.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I like Cumberbatch, I hope he gets a good movie to be a part of. It would be surprising if Marvel took this particular opportunity to out-and-out suck, but one never knows.

The one problem is, well, magic. Magic needs limitations, otherwise it becomes a constant string of deus-ex-machina moments where the hero can get out of the tense situation because, well, magic. In a book or comic, it's easier to express the limitations of such powers (though comics in particular have gotten a bad rap in the past for failing to do so; see Superman.) In movies, you have less time to say what those powers can and cannot do and an audience that's likely to be impatient if you spend a lot of time in clumsy exposition.

I will say that, to date, Marvel has done a pretty impressive job in getting the essential details across without clunky dialogue and narration, in part because it generally hasn't presumed its audience to be a bunch of idiots. I hope the trend continues.

Mar 26, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I'm still bummed we didn't get Joaquin Phoenix. Cumberbatch is fine, I guess, he just seems like such a typical choice.
Was he an option? If so, damn I'm now bummed. He would have added the right amount of instability to the character.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Casual Shinji said:
Was he an option? If so, damn I'm now bummed. He would have added the right amount of instability to the character.
I don't know if there was ever anything really concrete, but I did hear he was initially being considered for the part.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Beard could be a bit thicker but he does look the part i guess.

Now lets wait and see how the rest of the cast works out.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
I was so excited when it was Joaquin Phoenix. The art some people drew of him was sexy as hell.

Cumberbatch is boring now, they put him everywhere.

Vote Max California for Doctor!

(I know it's too late now but he would have been far betterer)