The First Lego Batman Movie Teaser Has Darkness, A Lack of Parents

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
The First Lego Batman Movie Teaser Has Darkness, A Lack of Parents

Is Lego Batman the savior that this franchise needs? We think so.

Just a couple days after offering us an intimate look at his legendary Batcave [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166960-Will-Arnett-Shows-Off-The-LEGO-Batman-Movie-Batcave#&gid=gallery_6053&pid=1], Will Arnett's gravely-voiced superhero has returned with a fourth wall-breaking teaser trailer.

"Written, directed, sound mixed, choreographed, and pain-stakingly beatboxed by me...because I'm Batman," chimes Arnett before introducing the teaser, which itself is essentially one long running joke about how lonely The Dark Knight must feel when he isn't out fighting crime.

The issue of Batman's loneliness will apparently be a theme that the upcoming Lego movie will explore in-depth. As director Adam McKay explained to USA Today, "Batman is an island onto himself, the only thing he doesn't have is relationships."

Given the less-than-stellar reviews [http://www.vox.com/2016/3/23/11291550/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-review] that Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice has been receiving, it's very possible that Bruce Wayne's Lego counterpart may end up stealing the show when all is said and done. He certainly seems a lot more charismatic than the latest "real-life" incarnation of the character set to make his big screen debut this weekend, in any case. I mean, I didn't see Ben Affleck beatbox *once* in any of the Dawn of Justice trailers, so the point goes to Lego Batman on this one.

Joining Arnett in The Lego Batman Movie will be a cavalcade of voice-acting talent including Ralph Fiennes as Batman's loyal butler, Alfred, Michael Cera as Robin and Daredevil's Rosario Dawson as Barbara Gordon/Batgirl. In perhaps the weirdest take on the character yet, Zach Galifianakis will be voicing the role of the Joker.

The Lego Batman Movie hits theaters on February 10, 2017.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/03/24/lego-batman-movie-trailer-teases-the-batman-movie-we-need-and-deserve-right-now/#47e3f82e2500]

K12

Dec 28, 2012
So... turns out we are going to have some good films with DC heroes in it after all.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
No thank you Warner Bros.

I don't want this "Comedy" on my DC heroes thank you.

I will just stick to waiting for the Batman: The Killing Joke animated movie.

Or read good comic books.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
There is a disturbance in the Force... Like a thousand tiny chefs crying out at the idea of microwaving Lobster Thermidor...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Eh, old cynical me didn't find any of this funny. I like the character in the Lego Movie but turning a decent handful of jokes into a full length feature seems... eh. And because no one has made this joke yet, it'll still be better than Batman v Superman, zing!

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

Yes. Because a man running around in a bat costume is supposed to be taken seriously.

Comic guys need to realise they can't be taken seriously. Because the source material is completely stupid (with some rare exceptions).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gorrath said:
Eh, old cynical me didn't find any of this funny. I like the character in the Lego Movie but turning a decent handful of jokes into a full length feature seems... eh. And because no one has made this joke yet, it'll still be better than Batman v Superman, zing!
Why are we even comparing this to BvS? This is not even the same genre.

Its like comparing Adam West Batman to Batman the Animated Series.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
chocolate pickles said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Yes. Because a man running around in a bat costume is supposed to be taken seriously.

Comic guys need to realise they can't be taken seriously. Because the source material is completely stupid (with some rare exceptions).
Its this attitude why I can't stand most Marvel movies for being so....safe, so appealing to the lowest common denominator even Deadpool felt safe and samey despite the whole R rating its was still an Origin story and he still had a climactic final battle.

Superhero movies lacks edge. They are all too family friendly, to much like a typical Summer Blockbuster then say an Emmy Award Winning TV series. I loved the Maturity and Seriousness of the DCAU stuff and the best DC comic books like Kingdom Come.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
He's switching to hip hop now? I wanted to hear more of his metal anthem "Darkness! Brooding!" on his subwoofers he calls The Dogs. Gotta listen to 'em bark!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Gorrath said:

But people do compare the Adam West Batman to that of the animated series. There's no real reason to compare the two except to humorously put down BvS because it's not like his Lego movie is exactly top-shelf cinema. It's just a bad joke friend.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, this looks lacklustre.

Not because Batman's being funny, it's because Batman's trying to be funny AND FAILING.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Gorrath said:

People compare things that are different. It makes a lot more sense than comparing things that are the same.

OT: Not entirely convinced that Lego Batman can actually support an entire movie without becoming tiresome. But whatever, I like Batman, I like Lego, will probably see it anyway.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Kiddie trash.

Not dark enough. No workout montage.

I bet he doesn't even bleed.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
This was pretty funny, but I found the one they played right before BvS in the cinema even funnier.

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
Not very much here to see.

Still, just off the back of The Lego Movie i'm much more positive about this than I ever was about BvS.