The First Starcraft II: Nova Covert Ops Mission Pack is Live

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The First Starcraft II: Nova Covert Ops Mission Pack is Live

If you were one of those people who was sad when Starcraft: Ghost was cancelled several years back, your best chance to experience what that game would have been like comes today. The first mission pack for Starcraft II: Nova Covert Ops is live.

The story of Nova Terra will arrive in three mission packs, each containing three missions. Blizzard describes the campaign thusly:

"Nova Covert Ops is a new single-player campaign that'll take you inside the web of intrigue surrounding StarCraft's enigmatic-and feared-shadow operatives.

In nine action-strategy missions spanning three mission packs, you'll play as Nova Terra, the Dominion's most powerful Ghost, and undertake assignments that are as dangerous as they are vital to the survival of the Dominion: infiltrating enemy bases, intercepting planetary invasions, helming experimental stealth ships, and other top-secret operations."

You can get all the info on the new campaign over on the official Starcraft II site [http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/nova-covert-ops/]. The mission packs can be purchased for $7.49 each, or you can buy a bundle of all three packs for $14.99.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Here is a DLC that I would buy, if it wasn't for the damned capital controls here.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
I really hope nobody notices that Nova has an ass or else Blizzard may have to pull the DLC.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Extremely fun mission pack so far; however, as fun as the first mission pack was, it took me around (Edit: Sorry, loaded up my save, and I was off by a bit) 55 minutes to beat the three missions on Brutal difficulty, with only one achievement missing.

There is a good bit of content in the missions, and they can certainly be drawn out longer, but they are not terribly hard. No complaints about that - they were all fun. But it is a bit weird to me that the missions can be beaten so quickly, with no overly complex mechanics involved, yet the next mission pack is not expected to be released until... December.

What, exactly, is taking the development team so long to push these out? Even if there is only a small team dedicated to these mission packs, missions of this caliber only take modders, many of which are independent, a matter of weeks to create.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Yeah not doing this whole episodic thing.
I'll maybe get it once the entire thing is out if it's even on my radar at this point.

Hope they won't do scumfuckery like tying a new co-op character to the purchase of an episode because that mode has potential, they just need to expand on it already.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
I really hope nobody notices that Nova has an ass or else Blizzard may have to pull the DLC.
dude, she's kind of an assassin, that makes it okay. just like widowmaker. i mean, their job title has the word "Ass" in it twice! what more justification do you need?!

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Question, can you just buy this by itself or do you need to own one of the other Starcraft II releases?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
J.McMillen said:
Question, can you just buy this by itself or do you need to own one of the other Starcraft II releases?
You only need the SC2 starter edition to install the pack, said edition being free.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ffronw said:
If you were one of those people who was sad when Starcraft: Ghost was cancelled several years back, your best chance to experience what that game would have been like comes today.
Not really, considering Ghost was supposed to be a 3rd person stealth game similar to MGS while this is still a top-down RTS. They may be using remnants of the story they intended for Ghost, but that's where the similarities end.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
RJ 17 said:
ffronw said:
If you were one of those people who was sad when Starcraft: Ghost was cancelled several years back, your best chance to experience what that game would have been like comes today.
Not really, considering Ghost was supposed to be a 3rd person stealth game similar to MGS while this is still a top-down RTS. They may be using remnants of the story they intended for Ghost, but that's where the similarities end.
Bits and pieces of Ghost lore have already been sprinkled throughout StarCraft II, the manga, and a couple novels. For example, Gabriel Tosh and the Spectres were originally intended for Ghost. I doubt there's much left that still fits within the canon.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ArkhamHorror said:
RJ 17 said:
ffronw said:
Bits and pieces of Ghost lore have already been sprinkled throughout StarCraft II, the manga, and a couple novels. For example, Gabriel Tosh and the Spectres were originally intended for Ghost. I doubt there's much left that still fits within the canon.
Really is a damn shame...I was really looking forward to Ghost and was following it's development. The issue is that Blizzard was still high off of WoW's explosion and focusing almost all the resources on their new MMO cash cow. As such, they outsourced development of Ghost to a 3rd party studio.

Apparently the 3rd party studio was making it more of an actiony 3rd person shooter game as opposed to Blizzard's vision of the game being - as I mentioned - more of a stealth-heavy MGS type of game. When Blizzard saw that the game wasn't going in that direction they cancelled it.

The moral of the story is that Blizzard should make their own damn games. :p