The Flash Celebrates Christmas By Revealing Some Serious Stuff

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
The Flash Celebrates Christmas By Revealing Some Serious Stuff

The fall finale of The Flash is a touching and ass-kicking Christmas episode that finally digs deep into the show's primary myth arc.

Read Full Article

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
Woot! A Flash review. I love the show and I am happy that other people are enjoying it too. One of the best parts about the show is the speed that the story is moving. 9th episode and see get to see a full blown fight between the two Speedsters. The plot is always moving forward and it doesn't drag on. If some characters have a fight it is resolved by the end of the show and it always has a great joyful tone to everything. The Flash is a "boy scout" and the show makes sure that we know it is a good thing. It is refreshing to watch a show tell it's story at a pace I can enjoy and without getting dark. Not that I don't love dark shows but not all need to be. I look forward to see what the show will do next.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I was a little, disappointed, at that final reveal.

When the black suit was shown I was like:
OMG HE'S TOTALLY Impulse! (AKA Bart Allen)
FROM THE FUTURE!

Nope.
Turns out the 'reveal' was as obvious as everyone watching the show thought it was going to be.
:(

One, potentially major, 'hiccup' for a show that's done more in 9 episode than most shows manage to do 30.
:/

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Spoiler (sort of):

DC continuity is a mess, I was thinking that Dr. Wells was going to be Professor Zoom for a while. It should be remembered that Professor Zoom sort of started out as an ultimate fan of The Flash's from the future until he inevitably went insane and became a villain. His motive in the past has literally been to make The Flash into a better well... Flash.

Given how insane and contradictory it gets it seems to me that they dropped a lot of the weirder stuff from it and I've been thinking that the "gimmick" is going to be that something similar to "Crisis On Infinite Earths" happened and The Flash sacrificed himself to stop (or perhaps fail to stop) some equivalent of the Anti-Monitor, which would of course need to be defined differently given that whole storyline was insane and The Flash's sacrifice was just one part of it, however he basically became pure energy and travelled back in time to become the lightning bolt that struck himself in the past.

I've been guessing that Wells is going to turn out to be trying to train Barry to be stronger so he can do a better job when that inevitable threat shows up. Probably some reveal like "I killed your mommy to make you hate me, so you could become stronger than me and save the world....". So yeah, I'm guessing Wells and Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom are the same guy and have been for a while. The whole "malevolent mentor" thing can fit the M/O albeit it's being done a bit differently.

That said bringing in "Firestorm: The Nuclear Man" seems like a mistake, though I suppose it makes sense if they are going to turn one of the current heroes into a villain, they will need someone to fill in for her. See, Firestorm doesn't just have fire based powers, he re-arranges molecules, and that's sort of point of the character rather than just being a Human Torch wannabee. To put it into perspective at the end of "Our Worlds At War" he's one of the guys supercharged Superman got to make his final charge (along with Captain Marvel). During this Firestorm mentions that he could turn 1" of the world's surface (all the way around) to water which had people going "WTF, can he acutally do that?" (yes, he can). Even if they power him down a bit, I think molecular rearrangement might be a bit too cool a power if they want him to play second fiddle to The Flash. He's really a character I'd think would need his own show to thrive, if they just turn him into fire blaster #347 what's the point of having Firestorm other than just name dropping him?

Sep 14, 2009
Tanis said:
I was a little, disappointed, at that final reveal.

When the black suit was shown I was like:
OMG HE'S TOTALLY Impulse! (AKA Bart Allen)
FROM THE FUTURE!

Nope.
Turns out the 'reveal' was as obvious as everyone watching the show thought it was going to be.
:(

One, potentially major, 'hiccup' for a show that's done more in 9 episode than most shows manage to do 30.
:/
now I could entirely be wrong, but

unless bart allen is a killer, there has been multiple times that Wells has shown he is ruthless by killing others and exploiting people to serve his needs, not to mention his whole "oh, I'm crippled in a chair, I must not be handicap!" and I'm sure there are plenty of other moments I'm not even thinking of, why would it make any sense to have him as impulse? why would the reverse flash GIVE IMPULSE the tachyon device? Yes it was obvious from miles away to anyone who's remotely read up on the flash, but I know of people last night on facebook in absolute shock after the episode.

OT: it's a bit rough around the edges but I'm thoroughly enjoying the flash, and even though arrow and flash are pretty different in how they handle things (the shows themselves even) I really enjoyed the crossovers.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Eddie could still be Zoom because I reckon this is Reverse Flash from the future. The Flashes travel through time A LOT. And that's how both of them will end up at the death of the mother.

Better note: Amanda Pays played Tina McGee! Brilliant! Another CBS Flash reference! I love how they are doing this!

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
I'm beginning to wonder if Wells is some form of The Monitor...

And my wife's response to Firestorm at the end of the episode was "Holy shit, he can fly!"

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
TripleDaddy said:
I'm beginning to wonder if Wells is some form of The Monitor...

And my wife's response to Firestorm at the end of the episode was "Holy shit, he can fly!"
Tell her that he doesn't know how good he is yet.

Elader

Needs more Dakka
Sep 7, 2008
This is definitely one of, if not my favorite superhero show out there right now. It hits all the right notes for me. The Flash vs Reverse Flash stuff was epic.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The quality of this show as consistently surprised me. The writers who came over from Arrow clearly have learned from a lot of their mistakes with their first season of Arrow. The effects always surprise me with their quality, and the relationship stuff doesn't drag like it often does in Arrow. Plus, and I cannot stress this enough, the show is just plane fun to watch!

The biggest difference between this show and the other two super hero shows for me, is that none of the Flash's main characters are unlikeable or poorly developed (okay, maybe Cisco hasn't had a lot of in-depth stuff, but he's still quite funny). In Arrow, there's Laurel (the midseason finally made me hate her more again since her scenes were a distraction from the awesome stuff) and in AoS, there's Skye (not nearly as bad as the first season, but I still don't like her).

This show has surprised me a lot. I figured it would be at least decent, not awesome.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I'm still confused on who rather Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash could be.. Eddie Thawn shares part of the name of second Reverse Flash Eobard Thawn and the thing about the character being from the 25th century and having to wear a machine to give him the flash's powers ( like the tachyon particle device that Dr.Wells now has.) yes Eddie was in the room when Reverse Flash appeared but thanks to time travel, it could be Eddie from the future who's there to get revenge on Flash for taking Iris from him..

then again, Dr. Wells has the voice altering power of the Flash, can walk(even though he pretends to be confined to a wheel chair) and ends up with the tachyon particle device by episode's end) and has a costume of Reverse Flash... but then again, Dr. Wells could be Hunter Zolomon AKA. Professor Zoom( AKA the third Reverse Flash, who starts as Barry's Friend but becomes his enemy after Flash refuses to allow Zolomon to use his cosmic treadmill to travel back in time to stop himself from being paralyzed in a battle involving Gorilla Grodd ( who appears to be in Central City and was a test subject of Star Labs before escaping during the particle accelerator accident). He tries getting to the treadmill and there's an explosion and he somehow ends up with the power to manipulate time (not super speed) and this allows him to appear faster then Flash is on the show from their encounters so far.

With two possible suspects as Reverse Flash.. I propose that there more then one Reverse Flashes on the show.. The one who battled Flash and was trapped briefly in the force field trap is a future version of Eddie Thawn who wants to kill Flash for taking Iris from him at some future point and the other reverse Flash is Dr. Wells (who is really Hunter Zolomon and uses the name Dr. Wells as an alias) and wants to "help" Flash become a better hero to defeat the other Reverse Flash which he starts by killing Barry's mom, knowing it would lead him to becoming obsessed with finding his mom's real killer and set in motion the chain of events that led to him eventually becoming the Flash.

Oh and I also have a theory on why what Barry described seeing as a kid when Reverse Flash killed his mom matched wheat they saw when Flash battled Reverse Flash.. one is that maybe Barry's father is the Golden Age Flash but was retires do to his powers somehow giving out(like Jay Garrik) and used the last of his powers to try and battle Reverse Flash to save his wife.. he failed to and blames himself for not being fast enough, hence allowing himself to go to prison and not try and break out. (he briefly lost his powers in the comics as well.. while battling his enemy The Rival.. another super speed powered villain like Reverse Flash... which could lead to another theory about Barry's mom being killed by the Rival while Barry's speed powered dad battled him and lost.. and then he comes back to finish the job but Reverse Flash Hunter Zolomon Aka Dr. Wells wants to make Barry a hero capable of defeating the other Reverse Flash since there's only room for one Reverse Flash in town and he intend to be the one.. which is why he steals the particle accelerator to increase his powers to defeat the Rival if Flash can't handle it )

It's all confusing and my theories may be way off. but oh well... what does everyone else think of my bizarre theories?

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ritchards said:
Eddie could still be Zoom because I reckon this is Reverse Flash from the future. The Flashes travel through time A LOT. And that's how both of them will end up at the death of the mother.
not sure about Eddy.
But i was considering this as well, especially because they mention(and show) red and yellow lightning.

So reverse kills mom, Barry saves younger self?

there is certainly some foreshadowing for this.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm still frustrated when everyone but the love interest knows the identity of the hero. Especially since she's already been put in harm's way for writing about the flash so her knowing isn't a danger to herself, just to Barry.

But that always eventually crumbles in these shows.

I'm not 100% on what's going on with the reverse flash. I assume that he came back from the future, killed the mom, and got stuck in that time somehow. I'm not sure how he established himself as a scientist aside from knowledge of the future or what his motivation is in helping the Flash besides ensuring his creation in some way.

It is absolutely remarkable how good this show is. And, I watched the original flash when it was on TV, so I didn't have high hopes.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Is Wells attempting to stop that future, or bring it to fruition?"

Really??? Clearly he is VERY distressed when Flashy loses his powers, because the future has changed dramatically because of it, and does everything he can to fix it back like it was. He is also constantly training Flash to get faster.

Allow me to wildly speculate on his intentions (Mild spoiler warning, I guess):

I'm pretty sure that is so Flash can eventually run faster than light and save himself from Yellow Flash in the past, who is doing a whole Terminator thing by trying to kill Flash in the past before he has powers.

It's quite possible Wells *wants* Flash to go back in time/to exist. I wonder if that is so Wells (Yellow Flash) can get his powers well before the "accident" that created The Flash. As Wells does not need glasses nor a wheelchair, he is clearly a meta-human. The Yellow Suit pretty much screams he has Flash powers, but I don't think he is the Yellow Flash we see (who is from the future)...

So, I REALLY hope they will do some interesting plot twists.
So far it has only strenghtened my belief in the above since episode 1...

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'm starting to think "Harrison Wells" is a fake name. If his middle initial is "G", it'd be a little too on-the nose, y'know? A time-traveller named "H. G. Wells"?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
McMarbles said:
I'm starting to think "Harrison Wells" is a fake name. If his middle initial is "G", it'd be a little too on-the nose, y'know? A time-traveller named "H. G. Wells"?
Hahaha, omg McMarbles!!! You are so right!
That would be hilarious, and a sweet easter egg for those with keen eyes like you ;)
So, I hope it turns out his initials are H.G. !!!

Wheresmyslaw

May 23, 2009
Why are your Flash reviews so inconsistent? Everyone else seems to be able to keep up with their writing schedules, but you've only put up three episode reviews so far. This is rather pathetic. Get it together.