The Flyjin and the Fallout

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Katatori-kun said:
The third, that people want to find some kind of meaning in this disaster, and they are more than willing to spin it in their minds until it affirms what they want to be true. Foreigners who want Japan to be an orderly, safe place were outraged by the US press's hysterical coverage. Foreigners who are angry about Japan not giving them everything they wanted gloat about every misstep Tokyo and TEPCO make. And maybe foreigners who want a reason to feel their a cut above other foreigners condemn the flyjin. I know in my mind I have twisted the tsunami into a narrative that is more about my thoughts at the time than what actually happened. I think it's only natural. We want big, crazy, chaotic things like this to have meaning. But we should also recognize the impulse, because doing so can help keep us from hurting people there is no need to hurt. There are already a lot of people hurting from the earthquake. Adding to that number benefits no one.

This quote is the most brilliant response to the infighting I've seen.

Well said, good chap.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
this is the reason you dont listen to the god damn US news such as fox they just blow everything out of proportion to get ratings and cause a panic. Reminds me of my family in Arkansas saying how they would never live in California because of all the earth quakes(maybe one a year will even be noticeable let alone cause damage but tv loves to hype it all to hell) while towns around them are getting partly flooded and or swaths cut out of them by tornadoes several times a year.