The Force Awakens' John Boyega Wants More Battlefront Single-Player

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Force Awakens' John Boyega Wants More Battlefront Single-Player

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/705178017841225734]

Actor John Boyega recently chatted with EA about one of Battlefront's biggest shortcomings.

Earlier this week, DICE and Electronic Arts unveiled <a href=http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/outer-rim>the Outer Rim DLC, the first of several <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166102-Star-Wars-Battlefronts-2016-DLC-Plans-Revealed>planned expansions to Star Wars: Battlefront. And while that expansion will help to build on the game's arguably scant content, it will do nothing to rectify what many regard as one of the game's biggest problems: it's lack of a substantial single-player game. Outside of a few solo missions, the game offers next to nothing for those less inclined to partake in its larger multiplayer battles. It's a problem that was recently raised by Star Wars-actor John Boyega himself.

Tweeting to EA's official Star Wars Twitter account, Boyega queried the publisher about the prospects of Battlefront receiving any sort of dedicated single-player campaign. "Will fans get a full on offline story mode?" He asked. "It's more of an enjoyable way to learn controls." EA was quick to write back, asking the actor if he'd "had a chance to try the Missions?" After several more Tweets, Boyega would reply that he thought the missions were "great" but that they "definitely [leave] you wanting to engage within a narrative." After this Boyega asked if he could visit the company's "base in the UK" to which EA's UK Twitter account promptly replied with a friendly yes.

So what's this all add up to in the grand narrative of Battlefront? Sadly, probably not that much. EA and DICE have made it pretty clear that they intend to focus on the game's multiplayer experience. That said, if you're among those who wish the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/15009-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Review-Electronic-Arts-and-DICE-s-Space-Ba>had a bit more, you can at least know that you're in good company.
[gallery=5892]
Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/JohnBoyega/status/705178017841225734>Twitter

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I feel you, Mr. Boyega, and so do many, many, many other people. What scraps we got from the missions--and opening and closing cutscenes in survival--were amazing. And it's so frustrating to know that they could have done so much more, but chose not to.
I know it's stupid to hope for this because it's EA, but perhaps, with so many people screaming at them over this, the next game will learn from this and include a full single player mode. It can be done, EA. Battlefront II did it.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Honestly, as much as it's nice to see a single player campaign for Battlefront, DICE is not the best developer for a single player campaign. The only half-decent campaign modes were in the Bad Company games; everything other campaign mode in the Battlefield games were either repurposed multiplayer maps, or mediocre linear missions that can't match the same standard as CoD or other single player games. Even Mirror's Edge was pretty spotty storywise, though that game was backed up by a unique setting and gameplay.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Really? They're treating Greedo and Nien Nunb (known respectively as "Han Shot First" and "Pointless Extraneous Character #38") as "iconic". Just... why?

Also, is this a paid expansion or a free one? Because adding in dlc only weapons is a terrific plan, especially if you charge cash for them. At least, it is if you want to make the game even more unbalanced. Meanwhile, they throw in the "extraction" mode which sounds like one man ctf. Which no one will play. At all.

I suppose I am being a little unfair. At this stage, nothing can make EA Battlefront a good game. Mediocre at best. At least not without pulling a Final Fantasy XIV to try and sort this out. But I can't see EA doing that so I guess I'll just have to wait for the sequel and pray EA doesn't screw up too badly. I'll probably wait a week or two before buying, just to be safe.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Trooper Finn!

Fighting for the downtrodden common gamer, rebelling against the all crushing power of the monolithic First Order of gaming, EA.

Long live the Resistance, long live Boyega!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I can definitely see John as the kind of guy to reprise his role for game VO whenever he's asked. Hopefully we get to see some high quality contemporary Star Wars games in the near future. I'd like to see them shift focus from the overused Galactic Civil War era and focus on the new movie content.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I don't want a story mode. I just want an offline instant action mode with the same features as the multiplayer mode. I think that's where all the repeatability came from in the originals. They already have bots.

That said good on him for pressuring EA on this.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Taking it to the front lines, Boyega!...*dabs away tears of pride* Do us proud, you wonderful beast! Just, whatever you do, do NOT drink what they offer you there and NEVER accept to go through the red door. We cannot lose another proud warrior to their body-snatching schemes.
I am also led to believe they have acquired their own Rancor pit as well, so...errr, no standing over any floors that resemble trap doors, ok?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
First his amazing performance in the movie, now this. I like this guy.
The Enquirer said:
I don't want a story mode. I just want an offline instant action mode with the same features as the multiplayer mode. I think that's where all the repeatability came from in the originals. They already have bots.
Agreed. "Instant Action" with bots was by far my most played mode for the Xbox Battlefronts back in the day, as I didn't have XBLA. It was great fun inviting a friend over to play split-screen co-op matches (remember when that was still a thing?). The only problem was that the bots were pretty much brain dead; I once witnessed an entire conga line of clone troopers toss thermal detonators at an oncoming tank on Utapau, only to be killed by the blast radius.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Can I say how much I love John Boyega? The guy's got such a positive outlook on things, and his turn as Finn was one of the highlights of the movie. I agree with him, its actually the one major complaint I have against Battlefront. I love the game otherwise but the lack of a single player campaign beyond the non-story co-op/solo missions is a glaring flaw. Same as Titanfall, love the game but wanted a storyline to play through.

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
EA's Battlefront is one of those games you rent to play with friends for a few hours then return. It's fun, but it lacks substance and content.

If you want a game with a Shitton of content and a fun Story Mode on top of insane moddability, get Battlefront 2 on PC. The multiplayer is still active on Third Party sources and the custom content is phenomenal.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I wouldn't mind that. The cutscenes we had during tutorials and survival missions looked pretty cool. A full game of that could be pretty awesome. I third the instant action return as well, which I think they already confirmed would be coming back. That was my favorite game mode.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MiskWisk said:
Really? They're treating Greedo and Nien Nunb (known respectively as "Han Shot First" and "Pointless Extraneous Character #38") as "iconic". Just... why?
As I voiced in another thread, I think their plan is to make the most underwhelming game ever. Not bad, just so underwhelming people have to step back and say "huh. I'm actually kind impressed at how much effort was put into being this unimpressive."

Also, is this a paid expansion or a free one?
Paid. This is the first of their four season pass DLCs. But don't worry, they've added free updates like Hoth...at night!

I also agree with your point about unbalancing the game, except it's clear EA doesn't give a crap about the game being balanced.

Odds are, I'm passing on the sequel.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Neverhoodian said:
The Enquirer said:
Agreed. "Instant Action" with bots was by far my most played mode for the Xbox Battlefronts back in the day, as I didn't have XBLA. It was great fun inviting a friend over to play split-screen co-op matches (remember when that was still a thing?). The only problem was that the bots were pretty much brain dead; I once witnessed an entire conga line of clone troopers toss thermal detonators at an oncoming tank on Utapau, only to be killed by the blast radius.
We all have those stories. Remember on the kashyyyk maps when droidekas would try to cross from any of the back posts to the beach head in Battlefront 1 and 2? They'd explode from "drowning".

As I got older I'd like to think the series has always been about letting you have fun, large scale battles across the star wars universe, not meant to be super challenging, but fun. Just the new one failed because of a lack of content for what we paid.

Given how they chose to monetize this game I highly doubt the next one will have mod support, which is what would persuade me to buy it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Man, I just love this guy more and more. John is a Star Wars fan that got the ultimate thrill. To star in a Star Wars film and meet the people he grew up watching in the movies.

Anyway, I would love Battlefront to have some offline modes. Galactic Conquest would be a dream. Let me play across the galaxy and conquer planets by myself or with friends.

Neverhoodian said:
You like that? John has been amazing in his interactions with fans.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have never heard of this guy before but certainly did a fantastic job in star wars. and he is a gamer as well so i start to like him even more.
that was also a reason why i didnt get the game. i knew that the MP had not much to offer after playing the beta. besides amazing graphics and sound, the game didnt offer anything at all. now if EA listens to him and even others and bring out an SP for the next game, now this i may get and play.