The Force Is Strong With This Show

Feb 13, 2008
The Force Is Strong With This Show

A short time in the future, in an arena not terribly far away, you'll get to see Star Wars: A Musical Journey.

Coming to London's 02 arena [http://www.theo2.co.uk/] starting next April, the show, which spans all 6 films, will feature live narrators instead of actors, as well as John Williams' re-written score, edited down to two hours.

The combination of the talents of LucasFilm and John Williams would be great at any time; but when they're promising to take the greatest bits of the prequels and the sequels, this is something that may just please both the rival camps. That in itself would be worth the ticket price.

Unable to get to London? That may not be a problem as the show has plans for a European tour, though no dates or places have been confirmed as of yet.

In addition to the show, which will be performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, an exhibition of the original pieces of Star Wars memorabilia will also be on display. Unfortunately, one of the pieces that won't be there is Mark Hammil's lightsaber, as that has just been sold for $200,000 at an auction in LA.

Tickets, which will cost you between £30 and £100, will go on sale on this coming Monday.

Source : BBC [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7779011.stm]

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Oh dear. I think they may be taking this a bit too far. Can't they just leave it to die quietly?

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Read about this dismorning, my only opinion on it is thank fuck they are using actual footage instead of having darth vader doing a pirouette.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Why'd you have to be a Scrooge?

I don't know if it will actually be worth the effort of going to see, but I am intrigued. It can't be as bad as the prequels surely.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
All I got from this article is that the economy isn't bad enough to avoid spending 200k on a piece of film history.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
Oh dear. I think they may be taking this a bit too far. Can't they just leave it to die quietly?
This was actually planned quite a while ago. And if they really do just focus on music and the best parts of all 6 movies, then it can;t be bad. It's onlt 2 hours. How much could they screw it up?

Now, watch as they figure out how to screw it up.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Mstrswrd said:
Rusty Bucket said:
This was actually planned quite a while ago. And if they really do just focus on music and the best parts of all 6 movies, then it can;t be bad. It's onlt 2 hours. How much could they screw it up?

Now, watch as they figure out how to screw it up.
"Now, how could we make this play better?"

"You know, it's a real shame Jar-Jar Binks was all but left out in Episodes II and III."

"Yeah! My kids loved that silly alien!"

"We should really find a way to get more Jar-Jar in there. For the kids."

"Yeah, let's definitely have Jar-Jar in those episodes. For the kids."

"...You know what?"

"What?"

"I think Episodes IV, V, and VI could also use a little more humour. In the form of a silly alien."

"That's just what I was thinking! Wouldn't it be messing up the timeline to have Jar-Jar Binks in those sections, though?"

"Yeah, but....it's for the kids."

"Right. It's for the kids."

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
I wish this was a musical instead of a music piece.

*sung to the tune of Night Fever*
"It's the lightsaber, lightsabeeer...you know how to use it..."

It would be brilliant.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
zoozilla said:
"Now, how could we make this play better?"

"You know, it's a real shame Jar-Jar Binks was all but left out in Episodes II and III."

"Yeah! My kids loved that silly alien!"

"We should really find a way to get more Jar-Jar in there. For the kids."

"Yeah, let's definitely have Jar-Jar in those episodes. For the kids."

"...You know what?"

"What?"

"I think Episodes IV, V, and VI could also use a little more humour. In the form of a silly alien."

"That's just what I was thinking! Wouldn't it be messing up the timeline to have Jar-Jar Binks in those sections, though?"

"Yeah, but....it's for the kids."

"Right. It's for the kids."
Oh, god no. If George Lucas did this... he would be killed by an angry Star Wars fan (No, not me. One of the rabid people who have devoted their lives to Star Wars and have become cynical about it).

Feb 13, 2008
Bit of feedback

Best pun I've heard so far is "Don't cry for me, R2D2" from the Times; but I'm afraid Jar Jar is there.

Scenes that have survived include the destruction of the Death Star, love scenes between Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala and several battle scenes featuring tiny single-seater spacecraft swarming around vast battleships. Star Wars purists who decried the introduction of computer-generated characters in the later films in the franchise may be disappointed. Jar Jar Binks, a swamp monster with a sing-song voice, is included in the piece.
What we're looking at is basically a orchestral album of the six films.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Freaky, I read this article and then went into my kitchen for a drink; they were talking about it on the radio :p

kapzer

Nov 26, 2008
galletea said:

I don't know if it will actually be worth the effort of going to see, but I am intrigued. It can't be as bad as the prequels surely.
I think I might go o.o wanna come?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
kapzer said:
galletea said:

I can't really afford it. Getting there's more expensive than seeing it.

kapzer

Nov 26, 2008
galletea said:
kapzer said:
galletea said:

I can't really afford it. Getting there's more expensive than seeing it.
Damnit...forgot about the travel cost. Sigh, spoilsport D: