The Force Unleashed Wins Writers Guild Award

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Jonathon Blow thinks he's a writer?
Or that he could win best writing?

He wrote like, 3 paragraphs for braid?

Which are just ambiguous and try to pass themselves off as "deep" and telling some secret meaning you aren't allowed to know?

Jonathon Blow can bugger off.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
The Force Unleashed definitely deserved to win this. While the final boss is a little ridiculous, the overall story was an enjoyable romp through both familiar and unknown parts of the Star Wars mythos, with a plot that had twists and turns but surprisingly few holes.

Jonathan Blow is right that the Writers Guild Awards are silly because not many games are eligible to win them. He's wrong in thinking he's a game writer. He's a designer and programmer, and his ham-fisted script for Braid (compared with the impeccable final level) is evidence of this.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I played Force Unleashed, and frankly, I saw nothing but lost opportunity in the story. It seemed like the intier narrative was rushed and not expanded on AT ALL. It cried out for a longer game, for fleshing out. We're -TOLD- Juno and Starkiller have a budding romance but we never see it till they share some silly kiss at the beginning of the last level. We're told the Apprentice undergoes tortuous training but we never see it beyond his 16th century british urchin style cloths. Also, what mysteriously turns Starkiller from totally hardcore evil sith lord to wuss who free's tortured tenticle monsters so swiftly? Certainly we don't SEE any of the character development.

Force Unleashed didn't have a story, it had the framework of a story that it rushed to hit the points of before scurrying to a close. Rushed, rushed, rushed, it all screamed rushed to me. GO BACK AND ADD IN THE FULL HALF OF A SCRIPT YOUR MISSING THEN WE'LL TALK, LUCAS.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I'm not saying it was bad, i'm saying it was dissapointingly mediocre. You could feel the potential for true epicness. That being said I played the shit out of that game.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
Baww. Well, it was Star Wars. And the good kind, not the abysmal prequel medichlorian kind. My hopes for RA3: Uprising weeding its way in again for the 2009 block.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Seriously, WTF?!?!

Okay, from now on I won't trust anything that Writers Guild says, no way. Force Unleashed? Really? How much did they pay you guys, huh? Pathetic...

I mean, Tetris had a better story than that piece of videogame failure. Bah...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
As a Star Wars fan, I can't help but feel utterly betrayed by this. This game has no other purpose than to cheapen the franchise even more than it already is. Lucas is sliting the wrists of his franchise for his own amusement and the Writer's Guild gives him a fucking award? There is no justice in this world.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm pretty sure there's some vaguely ironic about the fact that the only real reason I haven't played Force Unleashed so far is that I can't tolerate the thought of one more drop of Star Wars bullshit "story" in my house. I can't really judge it objectively (haven't played it, remember) but I remember a time when being skilled in the force meant you could choke a dude by pointing at him, or if you were an absolute master of the game, you could lift an X-Wing out of a swamp if you really concentrated. And this guy is pulling Star Destroyers out of orbit?

I'll pass, thanks.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Stars Wars: TFU won against Fallout 3 and Tomb Raider: Underworld? Well that's not hard.

Have they even played games which are well written?