The Four Stages of Creative Sandbox Gaming

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Full Frontal Nerdity is part of the Escapist now?!

That's pretty neat.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
That comic was definitely worth the click. I'm glad to see some new content coming in. I look forward to more of these.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Remember that Zero Punctuation video Yahtzee did on webcomics before he joined the Escapist? I believe one of the things he mentioned in it was about comics that fill panels up with too much text.

I think this comic falls victim to that pitfall.

Kardsymalone

Oct 6, 2014
I think the writer needs to take show don't tell to heart when you're in a visual medium don't just describe something show it

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I remember Aaron Williams from Nodwick (at the time when I used to play D&D), although I don't remember why I never got into that comic.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Did CTRL+ALT+DEL leak into this one or something? It has a serious WORDSWORDSWORDSWORDSWORDS issue.

Sep 14, 2009
this hits home for my experience with besiege, I completed alot of those missions with the exact same "oh..it prematurely exploded..but still set everything on fire and I won anyways, cool."

made the mistake of finding the besiege reddit..dear god am I fucking horribad compared to the artists on there.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Kardsymalone said:
I think the writer needs to take show don't tell to heart when you're in a visual medium don't just describe something show it
Did you want them to show the tap-dancing monstrosity on their screen? I think they told us just enough to let our own sick, twisted imagination fill in the blank.

[shudder]

Jan 12, 2012
Besiege is one of those games where I like looking at the outcome rather than playing it. Favourite Steam Review so far: "Tried to make a Trebuchet that fired a bomb. Made a bomb which fired a Trebuchet. 11/10."

And I didn't think it was too wordy. Then again I like Basic Instructions and other comics that use the strip format more as a way to carry a short joke or concept than a way to show off how fancy your art is, so what do I know.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I've always liked Aaron Williams stuff. Seeing one of his strips here unexpectedly just made my day.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
That was so unfunny I had to groan...
Seriously, it's a comic, if there's more text than art, then you're doing it wrong.
Show, don't tell.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
I'm apparently the only one in this thread unfamiliar with the comic writer. It must be admitted, it's an excellent name for a gaming and technology comic.

My suspicion is there's an age component involved in this sandbox game obsession. I tried to play Halo with my nephews, and after a couple proper games all they wanted to do was fuck around in Forge creating the stupidest maps. Hours later, I come back and they're still up to the same thing.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Well I like the art style, but I agree with other posters that there are way too many words in each panel

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Teh werds make mi head hurt! @.@

Seriously though. The amount of words was okay. But I just didn't find it 'haha' funny. Mildly amusing. I understood the joke and the game. But it didn't resonate with me. Guess we shall see more in the next panel.