The Free NES/SNES Game You Get With Switch Online Only Valid For One Month

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Free NES/SNES Game You Get With Switch Online Only Valid For One Month

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357093.jpg
The "free" games you get with your Nintendo Switch online subscription can only be played for one month.

Nintendo is doing a lot of new things with its new Switch console, including the addition of an actual proper online service [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169265-Nintendo-Switch-Features-Paid-Online-Service-Companion-Mobile-App]. The service is paid, but like PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold, it does come with some perks. One of those perks is a "free NES or SNES game every month." At the time of its reveal, there was a bit of confusion surrounding this. We assumed it would work like PlayStation Plus, in that you get to keep the free game after the month is up, but Nintendo has now confirmed that the "free" game will only be playable for one month, unless you buy it.

"Confirmed by NOA," Tweeted Wired's Chris Kohler [https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819956802741747712]. "Monthly free classic game on Switch is indeed only available for that month."

"After a month, you can no longer PLAY the monthly Switch online classic unless you buy it," he clarified in a second Tweet [https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819957925976350720].

Rivals Microsoft and Sony offer PS Plus Free Games [http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold] which do not expire at the end of the month (although they do become unplayable if your subscription lapses).

Source: Chris Kohler [https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819956802741747712]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I will defend paid online for the Switch, but I wont defend this. It should be for keeps.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well fuck you too Nintendo. Seriously, what the fuck is this noise?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
So xbl gives me 4 free games a month I get to keep (my games library is now like 100) The big N gives us 1 30 day rental of a 20-30 year old game with some new features added on... Yay?

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Mm that free for the low low price of actual money. I don't mind the pay for service but the games are included at no additional charge. They are not free in any sense of the word.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
So I guess the key is to pick a game that only takes you a month to finish. Challenge accepted.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Paying a subscription for online multiplayer with the only real addition being one month rentals of 20-30 year old games is just a baffling decision. If this is price similarly to xbox live and ps plus then is a right slap in the face and a display of arrogance that Nintendo can ill afford after the Wii U. Hell at any price this "offer" is pretty hard to swallow. And that is saying nothing of their standard virtual console pricing which I imagine is going to continue in the same vain if this is anything to go by.

A system where you could download one or two virtual console games a month from any of Nintendo's older systems (NES, SNES, GBC, GBA, DS, Gamecube and Wii) that you can keep for as long as you are subscribed makes a lot more sense and would be more appealing. Playstation Plus pretty much set the template for this kind of thing, just rip that off verbatim if in doubt.

For what it's worth I really like the look of the Switch but with stuff like this and their pricing on accessories I just cannot consider it a worthwhile purchase unless they have a serious rethink.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
If they aren't going to even allow you to keep the games you get, as well they are simply 20-30 year old titles that can be easily emulated, the service should be cheep to compensate. Sony charges about 60 dollars a year now, in that time you get about 24 games. Not always great but they are games. Nintendo gives you a rental of ONE game a month, unless it also includes some serious discounts then the service shouldn't be more then... I dunno, 20 bucks a year at most?

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Such a uniquely Nintendo move... even EA routinely just gives away its older games on Origin (and their library is much more limited). When you take what could be a good thing and fuck it up because you can't bring yourself to be at least as generous as Microsoft, Sony, and EA, then you should know you're just being a money-grubbing asshole.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ya know, I really was pretty excited for the Switch when they announced it since it sounds like something that will get me back into getting a Nintendo console.

But this kind of news happening is slowly draining my excitement. At least PS Plus lets you keep the damn game, or until you let you subscription slide.

Two steps forward, one step back seems to be Nintendo's thing.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
... maybe they will offer new games on VC, too... huehueue................ You know, BotW or something.............

It's so cool. You'd think that after the failure that was the WiiU, Nintendo would try to really convince people, restoring faith and such nonsense.

Must be a sign that they could tank yet another failed generation. I don't mean to say that the Switch is already doomed, but come on - after the WiiU and the slaps in the faces with it for most fans, I did expect a $250 Switch bundled with a game. Instead, we get a $70 Pro-Controller, 32 GB storage with a maximum of, I think, 125 GB, a $90 charging station, a forced subscription if you care to play online and trial versions of ass-old games and, of course, a superbly weak launch line-up with only BotW as something remotely interesting. Also, gotta pay them at least $350 in total to fucking use their console to begin with, if you are sane and don't consider turning it on as being able to use that fucking thing.

Funny thing is that I like everything else. And that I'm surprised about how bold-- APPLE-LIKE Nintendo behaves after a massive failure.

They must sit on a shit-ton of money, still.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
You know Nintendo has fucked up when Microsoft and Sony's services are exponentially more attractive.

Seriously Nintendo, your free online service was the ONE advantage you had over your competitors in this field. Not only did you throw that away, but you then proceeded to pour gasoline on it and set it ablaze.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Nintendo is beginning to sound more and more like a drug dealer in its practices than a company.
First hit's free, because I'm a nice guy, and whatnot.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Queen Michael said:
So I guess the key is to pick a game that only takes you a month to finish. Challenge accepted.
That would be all of them, but how fun is it to play on a deadline? Compared to no deadline at least.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Games with Gold allows you to play even with a lapsed sub, don't think PS+ does? Both better than this either way.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I suppose the only thing that I can really say in response to this is: "Oh, Nintendo".

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Temporary game and having to use a smartphone to chat.

Come on Nintendo. If you're going to charge money for Online, at least make it worth it.