The "fun-shooters" return. But why would anyone want that?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Because sometimes you just want to play one of those over-the-top, hypermasculine, hyperbolic shooters rather than one of those grey, grim "realistic" shooters that take themselves way too seriously.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Chibz said:
Ultra-realism actually severely limits what you can or cannot have happen in your game. It has little place in FPS games, absolutely no place elsewhere.
So what you are saying is that there should not be ultra-realistic elements in FPS games. Or, to put it another way, ideas that you don't like have no place in videogaming, regardless of the opinions of other people. That's how I'm perceiving what you're saying, correct me if I'm wrong.

Why can multiple different ideas and ideals exist alongside one another? I don't particularly like sports games but you don't see me stating that they have no place in videogaming.

Chibz said:
I'm just putting it out there but I also own a copy of CoD:MW2. This is my only CoD game. That's how similar they all seem to me.
MW2 is also my only CoD game. However, CoD, STALKER and Operation Flashpoint are all vividly different games, despite all their aspects of realism.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
bussinrounds said:
STOP CALLING COD REALISTIC PPL !! That just sounds retarded.
Well CoD limits what goes on in its games to what could happen within the boundaries of reality. That's pretty much what it takes to be called "realistic".

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Chibz said:
GiantRaven said:
Why? You can't state something like that without stating why. I have plenty of fun playing STALKER. I have fun playing certain parts of Modern Warfare II. Operation Flashpoint, despite not having played it, looks like a jolly good time. Why are games that are somewhat realistic suddenly not fun?
Ultra-realism actually severely limits what you can or cannot have happen in your game. It has little place in FPS games, absolutely no place elsewhere.

To see what a truly ultra-realistic game looks like, play Desert Bus.

I'm just putting it out there but I also own a copy of CoD:MW2. This is my only CoD game. That's how similar they all seem to me.

Frotality said:
half-life was a fun shooter as well; however much its been said, i still think half-life's design is the best FPS's have ever been and what they SHOULD be copying. imagine that... a world where publishers tried to copy half-life instead of the 20-billionth CoD game...
You know what would be even better than copying a game with bland story & gameplay? Copying Timesplitters' idea. Yeah, do that instead industry.
Oh God. Just when I thought the world had forgotten about Desert Bus, IT RETURNS! WHY, JESUS?!

But no, I totally agree. Most don't play video games for the realism (Which is why sports games always confused me. Go gather some friends and go play ACTUAL sports. You know, so you actually get some exercise or something.)

If you want a realistic war game, you would be sitting in an outpost for 98% of the game, just wasting time, then you get attacked by a few guys...then they get chased off/killed and you go back to sitting around doing nothing. Unless its an actual army attacking you. In that case, you get overwhelmed and die horribly/become a POW.

tl;dr, go play some Metal Wolf Chaos for real BURNING AMERICAN JUSTICE! [sub]The game that was too American to be released in America.[/sub]

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
But no, I totally agree. Most don't play video games for the realism
The key word there is most. Why deny things that only a few people want, just because the majority don't want it?

(Which is why sports games always confused me. Go gather some friends and go play ACTUAL sports. You know, so you actually get some exercise or something.)
Why play an FPS? Go play paintball or laser quest instead. I mean, it's real right? So it must be superior!

If you want a realistic war game, you would be sitting in an outpost for 98% of the game, just wasting time, then you get attacked by a few guys...then they get chased off/killed and you go back to sitting around doing nothing. Unless its an actual army attacking you. In that case, you get overwhelmed and die horribly/become a POW.
I'd play it. Why shouldn't that exist just because you don't like it?

MaxPowers666 said:
People are immature. They seem to like those stupid un-fuuy one-liners over story, gameplay and well everything. That is who they are trying to appeal to with these new games, young immature gamers who are either either 12 or still have the mentality of a 12yr old. I would also say that you probably have to be a male for them to appeal to you simply because from my experience guys are more prone to being immature idiots.
Is it not possible to like both things that are immature and things that are serious? Most people in this thread seem to be of the 'either/or' mindset when the 'and' mindset is much, much better.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
GiantRaven said:
I'd play it. Why shouldn't that exist just because you don't like it?
I really don't think anyone would enjoy a 100% realistic war game. I wouldn't mind playing one where they cut out the hours of sitting around and cut to the action, but we pretty much already have that.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Dexiro said:
I really don't think anyone would enjoy a 100% realistic war game. I wouldn't mind playing one where they cut out the hours of sitting around and cut to the action, but we pretty much already have that.
I think it would be very interesting to play. If I find something interesting, then chances are I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't make grand sweeping assumptions that you have no way of measuring. There are always going to be people who don't fit into your ideas.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Chibz said:
I think we might need to elaborate 'realism' a little, in this case. To me, something like Mass Effect is a 'realistic' game. Because it's relateable. it's immersive. I can to a point relate to something like Morinth running from her mother. I can relate to the fact, that for a human to be paralyzed and turned into goo isn't fun. I can relate to how a cutscened shot that garrus pulls off, was hard to do.
The game becomes fun, due to this very relateability. Soap MacTavish looks badass when jumping over a fifty foot abyss, because he looks human, his vehicle is something I recognize, and I can understand the danger that the abyss poses.
If instead, Serious "body and personality of a fridge full of canned steroids" Sam would instead jump over a pink nether-whirl in the Sargoth plane of unfunny one-liners, riding on a pair of motorized dick-tits, the scene would have lost all gravity (pun intended), all meaning. It no longer inspires awe, it just alienates me.
The same goes for gun-fights. Shooting something that resembles a human in the knee, with something that resembles a pistol, in say ME2, carries meaning, because I understand what's going on, I can imagine the pain, and the cold bloodedness in the scene. If instead some five kilometers high tentacle-demon thing would have been shot in one of it's fifty maws, by a rainbow-colored deathray of doom, the scene would no longer convey any emotion, it'd look silly and leave me indifferent.

That's (to me) what realism is about - giving images, that are either properly explained, or close enough to reality, that I can decode them.

boholikeu said:
It's fun in the same way a teenage slasher flick/B grade monster movie is fun. In other words: it's brainless fun.
See, that's the kind of fun, I've never quite gotten my head around :<

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Zannah said:
boholikeu said:
It's fun in the same way a teenage slasher flick/B grade monster movie is fun. In other words: it's brainless fun.
See, that's the kind of fun, I've never quite gotten my head around :<
Well then that right there is the reason you don't understand the appeal behind "fun" shooters.

Different strokes for different folks.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Every medium of art and entertainment has entries that are made purely for enjoyment.

See Crank 1 and 2.

Video Games don't have to be the exception.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Mcface said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Mcface said:
Xzi said:
Mcface said:
BRINK is the only non-"modern" shooter im looking forward to.

I find very little enjoyment out of games like series sam or duke nukem.

I will not pay full price for a single player game that went out of style 15 years ago.

People are all stuck with the nostalgia factor, those games aren't very good compared to more recent tiles at all. and neither will these new ones.

people in the 70s thought giant afros and bell-bottoms were cool.
if you wear them now, you just look stupid.
It has nothing to do with nostalgia. Duke Nukem 3D is better than CoD: MW2, CoD: Black Ops, and every damn game trying to be like those. Even with its outdated graphics. That's why I'm looking forward to Duke Nukem Forever. I think I'm looking forward to the fan update for Duke 3D even more, though.
I massively disagree.
Duke Nukem is a shallow first person one man v the world shooter.
It's shallow. VERY SHALLOW. even compared to the COD series.
You are definitely blinded by nostalgia goggles.
oh yes because its true when you back it up with an opinion. Want to know how COD is more shallow? They release the same fucking game every year with only minor graphical enhancements.

AMERICANS WIN AND ARE DOMINATE!

see what i did there? I just spoiled the ENTIRE COD franchise for everyone in the past, present, and future.
as opposed to what?
10 year long development cycles and they still are using the same exact gameplay on a slightly better graphics engine?
yeah awesome, i so wish every game was like that.

have fun with your 8 hours of campaign with no replay value, bud.
i am sorry, did you recieve an early copy of the game? i swear i heard people who ACTUALLY played that duke nukem is a fusion of old and new designs. I guess the people who actually played it are wrong. /sarcasm.
I dug this forum post out just to say... I told you so.