The future of the film industry.

xxmyhero64xx

May 25, 2011
Open question. Where do you think movies are going? I would say that we're at the pinnacle of film making with endless budgets and glorious effects at our fingertips. Could it possibly get better? Let's speculate.

Leighcakes

Dec 5, 2011
I've often wondered if eventually they'll never be any need for human actors. One day it may all just be CGI, and looking back we'll all say 'you wouldn't notice the difference'! It'd remove the need for casting, behind-the-scenes drama, and you could pretty much just design the characters exactly how the directors envisioned them.

It could be cool. I'm sure there would be many downsides, however. :p

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
Unless something big happens the industry will keep going like it has been since the mega-blockbuster era started. The large scale projects that turn huge profits will help to fun the artsy movies (as well as inevitable sequels, unfortunately).

In the far off future I still see films as a way for actors and directors to produce entertainment. Special effects were never the most important parts of the greatest films. Films will remain the same in heart but directors will have more and more tools to showcase their visions.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Incredibly bright, because there is a Starship Troopers reboot coming out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It could be brighter, merely for the fact that all movies are not awesome, therefore we have not peaked.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Stasisesque said:
Nouw said:
Incredibly bright, because there is a Starship Troopers reboot coming out.
Neil Patrick Harris just gets to play Carl Jenkins again, right?
I'm afraid not. It's more of a reboot a-la Lord of the Rings where it's played straight but the action is blown up.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm hoping we get a lot more stop-animations using 3D printers, because Paranorman is an awesome film.

Anyway, I foresee a lot of superhero and sci-fi movies, unless something drastic changes.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Leighcakes said:
I've often wondered if eventually they'll never be any need for human actors. One day it may all just be CGI, and looking back we'll all say 'you wouldn't notice the difference'! It'd remove the need for casting, behind-the-scenes drama, and you could pretty much just design the characters exactly how the directors envisioned them.

Get voice synthesizers and you won't need actors at all, voice or otherwise.

Actually, have you seen Halo 4's CGI cutscenes? That shit looks like it's live action as it is.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I think films need better writing to be honest . I find most blockbuster movies to be say too predictable . I go to the cinema every week and very few actually surprise me . Yes , they are entertaining but so damn predictable . That's why when i do get surprised by something , i praise it to hell and back *cough*loopers,inception,suckerpunch,shutterisland*cough*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Leighcakes said:

Except that good actors bring their own personallity to the movie.

Digital actors don't have personallity unless there's a good actor behind the performance.

OT: I see the remake/reboot cycle becoming ever shorter (The Amazing Spider-Man), and hopefully audiences will finally get sick of it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
It'll probably just stay the same for a while now- I don't see any major innovations or huge breakthroughs in mainstream film-making happening any time soon- we're currently in an era where most film-makers and studios are obsessed with "playing it safe."

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't see much changing for the time being.

Movies will likely continue to be profitable, so loads and loads of films continue to be made. People will constanlty complain about high budget crap that nobody admits to liking that somehow make massive amounts of money. You'd still get the usual concerns (not always unjustly) about what kids today are learning from fillums, and it still achieves little.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
xxmyhero64xx said:
Where do you think movies are going?
Movies are going to the store

Then they will go back home and cook themselves something fancy.

I'm sorry, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
With the amount of remakes going on it makes me worry.

Seems some people are out of fresh ideas so they want to ruin classic movies.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, one wonders at the effect of piracy on the industry in teh future.

I could envisage a future in which all movies are glorified ads, and the makers don't expect to get much revenue from people paying to see them.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
xxmyhero64xx said:
Open question. Where do you think movies are going? I would say that we're at the pinnacle of film making with endless budgets and glorious effects at our fingertips. Could it possibly get better? Let's speculate.
We're not at the pinanacle of film making because budgets and special effects don't count for anything unless they're in the hands of talented people which they simply aren't most of the time. Don't get me wrong there's a lot of good films being made now but I don't think the indusrty as a whole has anywhere near the level of creative talent and freedom that it had in the 60's/70's.

As for the future? The main shift I think will be more and more influence from Chinese films as their country becomes richer they're going to start trying to seriously rival Hollywood.

I also think we may see the emergence of a much more healthy and diverse indie scene as crowdfunding becomes easier and with the rise of internet distribution. I mean look at just how good and elaborate some of the upper end internet shows have become, just recently a guy who started out just ranting about films at a camera made a 3 hour long CGI filled epic that while not exactly good was something that could not have happened 10 or eve 5 years ago. And hell I don't think many people would disagree that Marble Hornets is just flat out better than almost any mainstream horror film in the past decade or so.