The Future of Videogame Faces Looks Kinda Like Hellraiser

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Future of Videogame Faces Looks Kinda Like Hellraiser

L.A. Noire's faces may be impressive, but they've got nothing on this.

Much hubbub has been made over Team Bondi's superb facial animation in Rockstar crime drama L.A. Noire. It's the sort of thing that actually turns game characters into something resembling real-life people, without the hollow stare that haunts conversations in other games made by companies whose names begin with "B."

Unfortunately for Team Bondi, Kotaku [http://www.janimation.com/#pages/bimbo_bread.html] regarding his company's proprietary new facial rendering tech, and it's damn impressive.

Skip to about 0:35 into the video to see how it looks in real-life - and brother, it looks painful. I'm sure you get used to wearing all those shiny little diodes, but it kind of reminds me of that dude from Hellraiser [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093177/].

Also, the tooth decay in the finished model is a bit unsettling. The original model had perfectly fine teeth, guys. Can't we leave it at that?

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5803111/think-la-noire-has-impressive-facial-animations-check-this-out])

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I think 'wow' is really the only comment that can be said here.

Seriously, just...wow.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
finaly something that they can use to remake corpse killer.
no Im serious I want a remake of corpse killer and now with tech like this we dont need to hire crappy actors. Still its a bit unsettling.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
When I opened this, I thought that the in-game face was the model who leant his face.

God, this is damn impressive.

standokan

May 28, 2009
That´s the kind of face you meet in dark alleys, I don´t want to piss myself while playing games

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
That is insane. I didn't think it was real until they zoomed out, either, and even when they did I thought it was a green screen sort of thing. I am thoroughly impressed.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Holy... Crap... that looks very, very, very impressive. I hope Bethesda uses this tech in Skyrim to avoid the... uhm... Oblivious uncanny faces.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
That looks awesome.

My only minor complaint would be the "You're doomed!" test... The render didn't seem to translate the roll of the lips that take place with the "oom" sound, making a powerful line look like it was uttered from an excessively small mouth. I'm sure it's something that can, and will, be fixed in later iterations, either through mmore robust translation through code, or post-recording tweaks via the techs.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Hey, I like BioWare... but I don't necessarily admire their conversation animation, so whatever. Not sure if they even use performance capture though; it works better for certain styles, after all. This seems like decent tech, so long as it works in-game and still looks good. Overall, I've seen better motion/performance capture, but this still looks good.

6FootImp

Mar 31, 2011
wow that just blew me away. The animation looks more detailed than the real life actor.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder if animators will be needed if all animation is performed by the diodes on the actor.

Also seems like an odd design choice to be using this tech for a photo realistic human face... wouldn't you just need an actor for that? I'm not saying it's not impressive, but I think it would have been more interesting to show a non human character with the human expression.

*note* I realize this is a tech showing not a practical use example.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
That is excellent! Can't wait to see this sort of thing in games. I guess LA Noire is a good start though.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
We are living in the future people.
Even though everyone doesn't have a jet-pack, still... this is good enough proof!