The Future of Videogame Faces Looks Kinda Like Hellraiser

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Not impressed. Show me an actual performance with it, not just a technical test, and show it to me on a facial model that can actually make it into a game. Then maybe we'll talk.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Sweet mother of a religious figure in a mode of transportation mostly used by small children, that was so fucking amazing. If it wasn't a floating head I'd call shenanigans.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Holy titting fucking!

This is AMAZING! I thought the model was the model....what?

(I thought the model was the actor or whatever)

Soooooo amazing

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Not impressed. Show me an actual performance with it, not just a technical test, and show it to me on a facial model that can actually make it into a game. Then maybe we'll talk.
my sentiments exactly. until this can be rendered in a game that is more than a smiling contest and has all sorts of other crap going on around it, theres not much to this. games are struggling enough as it is to have decent amounts of content with how painstaking it is to render current graphics and the average development cycle, we sure as hell dont need to set the bar any higher right now and reduce the average game to the previously mentioned smiling contests.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Most impressive, but I'd rather see this as an actual performance, not a technical test. Plus, it felt that the face was overall just a tad bit too stiff. Like, parts of the face wouldn't move as much as a regular face would, making the skin look extremely leathery or something.

Still, very impressive. Can't wait to see what they do with this.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Frotality said:
NickCaligo42 said:
my sentiments exactly. until this can be rendered in a game that is more than a smiling contest and has all sorts of other crap going on around it, theres not much to this. games are struggling enough as it is to have decent amounts of content with how painstaking it is to render current graphics and the average development cycle, we sure as hell dont need to set the bar any higher right now and reduce the average game to the previously mentioned smiling contests.
Hence it being a tech test. What you guys are doing is akin to whining because you have a Sega Saturn incapable of loading a library for rigid body physics, or because you don't have a PC that is capable enough to run a prototype iteration of Unreal Engine that is still in development.

There's plenty of reason to actually get impressed, namely the fact that, in the future, human actors will be able to actually lend a performance in a game. This is not current-gen suff you guys--or at least not the way it runs on the video.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
-Dragmire- said:
I wonder if animators will be needed if all animation is performed by the diodes on the actor.
MoCap isn't cheap to get done. It's faster for obtaining natural movement patterns and the like but also limited to what the MoCap actors can do.

I'm also quite sure any MoCop studio would prefer a dev's animators do something like a crocodile rather than have them bring one in for the studio to try and put in a mocap rig.

Also seems like an odd design choice to be using this tech for a photo realistic human face... wouldn't you just need an actor for that? I'm not saying it's not impressive, but I think it would have been more interesting to show a non human character with the human expression.
Human to Human transposition is the hardest to do because unnatural movement is easy to spot. It's what we're most familiar with, after all.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
by the tent in my jeans i think i am very excited by this technology. technology does that to me

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
LA Noir's characters are overrated. If you want prune men, sure, but they look like they are gonna peel off.
Also, I dont really want games to get too realistic. When the fake looks just like the real, then I may buy the "video games make murderers".

Peter Andersen

Nov 15, 2010
Lol. It is amusing to see you all fascinated for the first time viewing of this amazing technology. However, this level of mocap quality is apparently not new. Take a look at these videos, the earliest dated as February 2008.

Just the animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wtv4bsLWvw&feature=channel_video_title

The animation with real actor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn8aLUB7koQ&feature=related

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
I wonder if animators will be needed if all animation is performed by the diodes on the actor.
Of course we'll still need actors! Where would they find maggots big enough to Mocap for the Combine Advisors?

Still, if drawing people's faces has taught me anything, wrinkles make things easier. I want to see where they are for, say, a bright-eyed child's face in 3d. Not to say this isn't quite interesting.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Bloody hell thats good, at first I wasnt sure what I was looking at was a real human or not, its so damn impressive from a modelling point of view as well, just look at the way the neck reacts to the expressions!