The Future of Videogames

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I had a quick chat with someone about this recently. This may be further into the future than many of us would care to look, but I feel a bit optimistic. Basically, I think most of us agree that the guys calling the shots in AAA gaming are mostly old (middle-aged) men who don't have a ounce of interest in the games they're trying to monetize.
However, video games are a common interest among the kids of today. When I'm an old man, I'm hopeful that we won't have to complain any more about the publishers being completely out of touch with gaming.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
sageoftruth said:
...However, video games are a common interest among the kids of today...
Kids that are being shown that all these crappy games are the standard in videogames.

mindfaQ said:
Next step of immersion is presence btw, which can be achieved by VR...
As mentioned before, these are all tools to achieve immersion, but immersion is about multiple factors, some that differ from person to person.

Aiddon said:
...immersion is a far more complex notion than that...
This is true, so let's try to achieve a consensus as to what proper immersion is.

On a technical level, immersion is a matter of putting a person into the world. For those of you who think like this, while you're technically correct, this is not what the concept of immersion is all about.

In regards to the individual's taste in videogames, allow me an example: A few of my favorite games are Devil May Cry 1,3 & 4, Zone of the Enders 2, Cloudbuilt, Nitronic Rush, Super Hexagon, the Megaman Zero series, Tribes (before it died); basically games that demand high levels of focus.
These achieve immersion for me almost purely by the fact that I'm constantly in The Zone & unable to think about anything else, & also by virtue of their stories & worlds not being your average rehash. However, they wouldn't be so immersive if it weren't for these other, more global factors:
  • >Solid controls that suit the gameplay
    >Fluid gameplay that doesn't feel clunky.
    >Clearly-defined gameplay focused on their individual specific aspects (as opposed to a diverse range of unrelated activities).
    >Graphics, style, overall presentation that is suitable for the game.
    >A great degree of polish, with few (if any that matter) bugs.
    >Taking full advantage of the platform, be it milking a console for performance, making good use of peripherals, or giving PCs all the options you can want (from graphics settings to interface sizes etc).

For reference, a few other games I felt at one with are Singularity, Painkiller, Half-Life 1 & 2, Morrowind, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Fruit Ninja, Max Payne 1 & 2, Beyond Good & Evil, Starlancer, Freelancer, GTA: Vice City, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Ace Combat series, Grandia 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Soul Calibur, Jet Set Radio, Legacy of Kain series, Space Channel 5, Final Fantasy 5/Tactics...)

My take, an immersive game is one that successfully combines the brains of skilled programmers, talented artists, an OCD QA checker (e.g., Hideo Kojima is renowned for this), but most important of all, Chemical X: lots of love & effort, a desire to really make a world you can lose yourself in.

Genocidicles said:
Maxtro said:
nobody would be playing any games on a powerful gaming system, because they will all be streamed.
God that sounds horrible...
I honestly admire the idea, but the feasibility is just too far out there at the moment. Even if they somehow achieved near-zero response times, there will be the occasional signal interference.

Now why don't you try something out: Go to your favorite video game sales charts (for lack of many examples, here are VGChartz [http://www.vgchartz.com/] & EncyclopediA GamiA [http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games]). Select whatever platform(s) you're familiar with, sort by year released (descending), & count how many of the top-selling games you liked per year. Look for a trend.

Forget about Wong! Forget the person behind the article & focus on the subject itself. Gaming may not be literally dying, but gaming as we know it is. Excuse my psycho-preaching tone, I don't mean to come across as a doomsayer. Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I noticed that a lot of the Modern Day games do one of two things:

1) Give up additional Frames Per Second in favor of High Definition Imagery (Mainly XBone Games like Titanfall)

or

2) Give up High Definition Imagery in favor of additional Frames Per Second (Mainly WiiU Games like Super Mario 3D World)

I think the future of games is going to be pitting >30FPS at 720p Consoles (I call them "Speed" Consoles) versus 30FPS at >720p Consoles (I call them "Beauty" Consoles).

Dragonheart57

Jun 13, 2011
I'll start by saying that I didn't like the article. Some of his ideas were good, most were bad. As for the subject of videogames dying, I doubt that's possible now. Lots of AAA games might be failing, even the top sellers, but I think there's enough smaller talents who can make a good game without bankrupting a small nation to keep the industry going. Even if that fails, there will always be the indie devs willing to spend years to make a thing that they love and want others to enjoy.

On the future of games, I don't think it lies with VR. We have all that we need to immerse ourselves perfectly. When I'm playing, sometimes I forget I'm even looking at a screen. Everything else fades away. We don't even need better graphics. Morrowind was just as immersive for me as Skyrim, despite its limitations. Graphics don't mean much if you can make a world that the player wants to be a part of. They'll fill in the gaps themselves.

I think that people need to worry less about the technology the games run on, and more about the games themselves. We've gotten to the point where better graphics are making games worse, because of all the money and time that needs to be spent making them. If people weren't convinced that better graphics = better game, we could have games with deeper stories and characters and more fun mechanics. It's a lot easier to make a fun game when most of your resources aren't being spent making every character's nostril hairs wave realistically in the wind.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
I think the future of games is going to be pitting >30FPS at 720p Consoles (I call them "Speed" Consoles) versus 30FPS at >720p Consoles (I call them "Beauty" Consoles).
-edit no you did write that correctly sorry-

Anyway, speed vs definition is a developer choice. Consoles just do a certain amount of work per second, which can be divided among 30 nice looking frames or among 60 frames that are less pretty.

It is true though that Nintendo seem to understand games better than Sony or Microsoft so their games are more likely to be 60 fps, despite being on the weakest console by a large margin.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Trying to save mainstream games from pushing out homogenized "Game-Like Product"? (Or GLP? for all you hip texting kids out there, keep saving those Mtn Dew rewards points!) is like trying to save Hollywood from pushing out crap all the time. It's a hopeless cause. To most people who play games it's just something they do to pass the time every now and then. They don't care if a game is bland and samey, it's what all their friends are playing. And just like with movies there's nothing inherently wrong with that, except with the predominance of racist, sexist and LGBTphobic tropes obviously.

Personally I think the future of the industry is gonna look a lot like this-

Big publishers will continue to take to heart the lessons of WoW and CoD: that selling a community, and building a sense of shared identity between player and product, will increase long-term player retention for less money. People will keep paying $60 a year for minor updates, plus a subscription and DLC if it means they can continue to play with their friends and/or strongly personally identify with a product. Which is the real secret to WoW/CoD/Madden's success.

Indie developers will continue to supply a smaller market with a lot of "boxed product" niche titles. When an innovation in the Indies is particularly successful and garners a lot of attention the AAAs will eventually try to (clumsily) implement said innovation in their own products.

So basically same shit different day.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Bad Jim said:
Mr.Mattress said:
-edit no you did write that correctly sorry-

Anyway, speed vs definition is a developer choice. Consoles just do a certain amount of work per second, which can be divided among 30 nice looking frames or among 60 frames that are less pretty.
(Oh, okay, I was about to say where did I make a type)

According to both Sony and Microsoft, these Consoles are supposed to do both. Now I can buy that the Developers are being rushed to finish their products ASAP, but the consoles are supposed to do both >30FPS and >720p, and yet not one game from either of them are both. Not even games that aren't being rushed, like "The Witcher 3", chose Beauty (1080p for PS4, 900 for XBone) over Speed (It's max is 35-45 on PC, and it's impossible for it to do 60 based on other people's research). Meanwhile, both Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World are stuck at 720p, but both are smooth at 60FPS (Even if MK8 has a trick to do it). Maybe in the future, we will see games that are both 1080p and 60FPS, but from where I'm standing now, I'm seeing consoles being divided between Beauty and Speed.

Pogilrup

Apr 1, 2013
If there is at least one thing I definitely agree with in the article, is the need for protagonists other than the "grizzled white male" protagonist.

Hopefully in the future we might get more franchises featuring more diverse protagonists.

Of course there is the faint possibility that an existing franchise featuring a "grizzled white male" protagonist decides to reboot with either an individual of the opposite sex, of an alternate race, or with change in sexual orientation. This scenario is what some of the more "stubborn" members of the videogame community seem to fear.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
Pogilrup said:
...there is the faint possibility that an existing franchise featuring a "grizzled white male" protagonist decides to reboot...
The problem I'm having here is that you seem to have no issues with the idea of a reboot, & while there are a few great ones, I don't think we need more reboots considering how much of the original games get shafted.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
PsykoDragon said:
We care about video games right? We need more games that we can geek out over, right? & what is it about a game that makes them worth geeking out over? One word:

Immersion.

Immersion covers just about every aspect of what makes a game good. The whole shebang needs to be right for the game to be immersive, from style to pacing to gameplay to platform etc.
I'm not so sure. Street Fighter's massive popularity doesn't likely stem from how immersive it is.

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
SnakeTrousers said:
PsykoDragon said:
We care about video games right? We need more games that we can geek out over, right? & what is it about a game that makes them worth geeking out over? One word:

Immersion.

Immersion covers just about every aspect of what makes a game good. The whole shebang needs to be right for the game to be immersive, from style to pacing to gameplay to platform etc.
I'm not so sure. Street Fighter's massive popularity doesn't likely stem from how immersive it is.
Again, you are thinking of immersion in terms of being transported into the game world.
I'm talking about immersion in terms of getting immersed in the game, that is, it holds your undivided attention & sucks you in, whether it's an FPS (Painkiller) or a fighter (Street Fighter) or a platformer or a puzzle game (have you played And Yet It Moves? It's a puzzle-platformer) or a tactics/strategy game (Silent Storm 2, Supreme Commander). That's the kind of immersion that makes or breaks a game.

Immersion [http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Aimmersion]: deep mental involvement in something. "My daughter is so immersed in her homework, she's like a problem-solving machine!", "a week's immersion in the culinary heritage of Puglia".

As with my earlier post that I assume everyone skipped over, I figure that SF is popular due to the quick action it requires, & thus falls under games that demand high levels of attention & quick reflexes.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
PsykoDragon said:
Then what is the point of this thread? I was pretty confused by the opening post, but now I'm even more so, because all you seem to be saying is "People like games that are good. Spread the word."

PsykoDragon

Aug 19, 2008
SnakeTrousers said:
You gots to teach dem peeps dat they could be playing better games if they'd stop playing into the hands of big-budget marketing. Like this good fella does. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/11245-Triple-A-Aint-What-it-Used-to-Be]

Recent example: Watch Dogs [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA9BEA4Hxs]. The linked video is entertaining enough, but the captions are thorough. This pile of junk & lies is right up there [http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2014/Global/], in all its best-selling glory. Note that while it's #2 on the PS4, it is also #11 25 & 30 on other platforms, not including PC, & this is just after 2 weeks.

It's a clear message to the suits that they're doing it right. Market lies, deceive fans, manufacture cheap products. AND IT'S A PATTERN [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/25458/rage/Global/] THAT'S BEEN REPEATING [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/44952/call-of-duty-black-ops/Global/] ITSELF ALL [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70350/the-last-of-us/Global/] THE TIME [http://www.vgchartz.com/game/40231/battlefield-3/Global/]. (Those links are to single platforms because vgchartz is weak)