The Game Industry needs more than just new games.

Axelord FTW

Mar 11, 2010
All I'm saying is that there is APLENTY material out there in games already out to make one heck of an awesome mash.

Ever wondered why some games were fun, but couldnt stand the effects of time or other game's release? Often, they would rely on a few features alone and build their marketing and gameplay around those too much.

For a quick example, Blacklight: Tango Down. I could point out the many (more like innumerable) flaws the game was riddled with, but I stand to my point and say the game relied too much on small aspects and gimmicks to sell. Arguably, it was an arcade title and wasnt meant to be polished all that much from the get go.

"Gamers" being what they are, the game is now more or less empty. Early flock of players having soon moved away to -maybe- better games. Why? Again, because the formula couldnt sustain itself.

I guess it's expectable but it makes me wonder on the recipe to making a great game
(Fun>Sales btw).

Could it be that great games comes not from one developer, but from many? That, to make a fun to play AND sustainable game, one should not create too much, but borrow from other games a bit more? To let go of the "artist" pride and go for the greater good?

I dont have a good example here, because (frankly) it hasnt been done really. All we've seen are devs who borrow the VERY SAME gimmicks that could only support another game for so little time.

I have a few ideas, but I'll hang unto them for a little while (thread pending).

What do you guys think?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
I think you're onto something there, but it's a point that's been explained before, in roughly the reason: a lot of game developers and publishers don't want to risk something new in case it's a flop and they lose money. Innovation costs. They're safer off using the same recycled ideas they know sell. But that's where the indy developers come in. I think in the future, we're going to see more and more indy studios popping up.

Axelord FTW

Mar 11, 2010
Maybe, but I'm not talking about writing.

I'm talking about another aspect of video games. Gameplay mostly. Because you really can't take another game's writing and include it in a new game.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Axelord FTW said:
Arguably, it was an arcade title and wasnt meant to be polished all that much from the get go.
That is never an acceptable reason. Many downloadable games (not "arcade titles") are far more polished than full-priced releases.

Axelord FTW

Mar 11, 2010
Xzi said:
Axelord FTW said:
(Fun>Sales btw)
Yea, it would be nice if this was true, but it isn't. Not for developers. Every time they try new or innovative gameplay ideas, the games sell like shit. And they're in the business of making money, so they go right back to becoming a revolving door for cookie-cutter FPSes.
I know that.

If only it wasnt so.

I'm sad now. Thanks for reminding me.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Honestly, there's very few games quite like this [http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/]

So my thought is that unique games with unique perspectives might just intrigue me again in consoles.

Could it be that great games comes not from one developer, but from many? That, to make a fun to play AND sustainable game, one should not create too much, but borrow from other games a bit more? To let go of the "artist" pride and go for the greater good?
No. Or we'd still be playing Tekken 1 to this day. Nothing wrong with BlazBlue, Soul Caliber and other games taking ideas, borrowing from each other and improving themselves. It's how it allows the game industry to grow.

Though Heavenly Sword is still a Black sheep God of War clone...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Axelord FTW said:

I dont have a good example here, because (frankly) it hasnt been done really.
I'd say Medal of Honor is a perfect example. It had 2 developers and borrowed heavily from every FPS out there and did nothing original. And it got bad ratings because it didn't do it as well as the people they stole the ideas from.

We, as an industry, want innovation. Otherwise, all we'll have in 20 years is CoD 27: World War 4 from the Alien's Perspective and Mario Parallell Universe.

I'm sorry, but I think you've gotten it all wrong. Sure, games need to focus on fun more than sales and polish everything better (MoH for example), but innovation is still the most important thing. It will always be, and not just when it comes to games, it's vital to everything. What if scientists had just decided that alchemy was the most awesome thing ever, and spent the last few centuries trying to perfect it?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
World of Warcraft proved that a game didn't need to be fun to turn record profits.
From that point onward, every other publisher in the industry has been hunting for those "Golden Geese"; sacrificing everything else in their quest for the License of Infinite Profits.

We've found one of those golden geese in FPSes.
And now we're watching one die: the JRPG.

Axelord FTW

Mar 11, 2010
GeorgW said:
Axelord FTW said:

I dont have a good example here, because (frankly) it hasnt been done really.
I'd say Medal of Honor is a perfect example. It had 2 developers and borrowed heavily from every FPS out there and did nothing original. And it got bad ratings because it didn't do it as well as the people they stole the ideas from.
I never said that taking two great ideas from different game would automatically mean "EPICWIN". What I'm saying is that new games often forgo of the original and older intention. Leaving behind great gameplay aspects to the profit of untested gimmicks. I'm also neither saying that no game developers need to innovate, but they often just jump off the boat trying to make new "cool" moves of that railing.

What sparked this idea was when I looked upon my 360 game collection and saw BFBC2 and FarCry2 one atop of the other.

It made me wonder; FarCry2 had one of the best (actually, THE best) map editor on console while BFBC2 sported one of the most balanced and intricate firefight mechanics.

BFBC2 is slowly going ashore by loosing population due to a lack of customization and map choice (new map pack and expansion inbound, I know).
FarCry2 has already sunk because the multiplayer could not sustain itself in great part due to the wildly unbalanced and unrefined firefight mechanics.

I know neither game engine run similarly and I'm not hoping to either game being able to patch its weak side to encompass what the other game had (has) right. I'm saying that if a game ever was able to reunite each of the sides (without loosing anything important in the process), it would probably mark it as the game of the decade.