The Game...That Made You A Gamer.

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Game(s): Metroid and Dragon Warrior 1 WAAaaaaayy back in the day. I spent hours not moving from in front of the console TV with the console on top and my buns planted into imprints in my living room carpet.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
It must have been Spyro: Year of the Dragon. Or Spyro: Ripto's Rage. Or maybe both at the same time. Either way, I didn't own a ps1 memory card during my first couple years of playing the console, and because I was young and stupid, instead of going out and searching for one, I just restarted my games from the beginning each time I played. Now, only a few games could manage to hold my attention despite that, and it was those two Spyro games. I'd spend entire days on one play session, and times I'd be known for playing something like 14 hours straight. I'd played them from the start so often that I had virtually everything about the levels memorized. But because it was always a single session (I never left my playstation on overnight) I'd never 100% completed the games until I finally got that memory card, but damn, when I did, it was the most satisfying moment in my childhood.

I can still speedrun those games like a ***** with how much those games are engraved into my mind.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
My family had an old Sears/Magnavox pong game. But it wasn't until my older brother took me to the arcade that I became a gamer. The Star Wars vector graphics game is the one that really probably hooked me forever.

GJHenry

Sep 21, 2014
Rockman 6 was probably my first game. It was from famicom. This was during the 90s. We didn't have the means to afford any console games/PC at that time.

What made me a gamer though was Final Fantasy VIII. It was the first RPG I finished that I was engrossed with.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
I never played it but my old neighbors used to have a nintendo, to this day i'm not sure if it was an SNES or just an NES, but it had megaman on it and I was hooked. I only ever watched them play but it was fantastic. From there I got an n64 for christmas and Diddy Kong racing was the game I got. Hooked forever thanks stupid monkey.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
I just kind of got started and never really looked back. First console I had was a Gameboy so it would be Super Mario Land or Link's Awakening I played first. Sadly Link's Awakening disappeared when I moved house, but that game was great.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Pyrian said:
I dunno, Combat [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_(video_game)], maybe? That came out before Space Invaders or Adventure. I don't really remember ever NOT being a gamer. I was never interested in Pong or Breakout, though, so let's go with Combat.
I have to second this...this is what my parents used as incentive for me to finish my homework. Well, this and the various game n watch handheld games. The rest, as they say, is history.

The original Dragon warrior though....that is what really got me started into hardcore gaming, especially rpg's.

Jeezy56

Aug 7, 2014
It was a combination of Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Blake Stone, Fatal Racing and maybe Worms (though I barely played it compared to 2 and Armageddon) that got me hooked. I still occasionally play those games to this day.

There were some earlier games that I played on my Master System 2 but none that hooked me like the above games on the PC. It also made me into the almost-exclusive PC gamer I am today. Sure I flirted with the PS1/2 and PS3 (who didn't?) but I'm a PC gamer at heart.

Ravesy

Apr 16, 2012
Starfox/Starwing and Super bomberman were the first games I played as a kid, but bizarrely I think it was Civilization 2 that was the first game to properly consume countless hours of my life. I remember playing it on my dads old work laptop running windows 3.1. Strange choice considering I must have been 8 or 9!

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
Moorhuhnjagd. I was about 4 when I first played it. I used to sneak into my dad's office room, and he had this really big chair and when I sat down I was not visible from behind. It confused my parents to no end.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
The game that made me a gamer must have to be Winter Olympics on the Atari. I loved that game so much and spent hours playing it, until my parents bought me a Sega Master System. funny thing is I cant stand sports games these days.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
Not entirely sure -
it was probably a mixture of:

Super Mario Land (I think that's what it was called) for the Gameboy
Little Nemo for the NES
Where's Waldo? for the NES
and Donkey Kong Country for the SNES

Mar 30, 2010
Well I remember my family had that Pong machine that plugged into the tv, but the first games that really caught my imagination were probably Digger - all played on my dad's home works machine. Of those three, I'd probably say it was 3-Demon that really got me into games. Paratrooper and Digger were fun titles and all, but 3-Demon was essentially first-person Pac-Man, and my tiny child's brain was quite simply enthralled by the feeling of being inside the maze.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Chaos Isaac said:
Sonic The Hedgehog 2.

I was two years old, got a sega genesis and that game from Santa at church, and never fucking looked back.
Sonic The Hedgehog.

I was (I forget) years old, got a sega genesis and that game from Santa at my Nana's favourite pub (actually from my Nana), and never fucking looked back.

Edit: Just rang a bell so I thought I'd quote you.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Warcraft 3. I think I played that game all my teenage years.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
My elementary school had, for some reason, a rom of super mario bros on it. I used to play it all the time and eventually got the version for the Gameboy Colour.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
It was a combo a few games actually, all on the NES.

Super Mario Bros
Rampage
Genghis Khan
Swords & Serpents
The Legend of Zelda

Those 5 games were my childhood & I still go back to play them from time to time, I love that my NES still works to this day.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Betrayal at Krondor. 1993.

Can still remember the 7 floppy disks it took.