The game you had highest expectations for that let you down

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
Spore
It took 10 years to merge 5 mediocre games?
What a shitload of bull.

Crysis
It took me 6-8 hours to beat it, ended in a cliffhanger, gameplay was meh.
It's basically Far Cry with 70% of the content stripped but with a new Engine.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed
Repetitive, boring, lame, buggy, short and on top of that no multiplayer.

Alone in the Dark
I don't need to justify the big pile of stinking shit this game is.
It's virtually unplayable on the PC.
Even the developers admitted and realized their game was shit so that they overhauled the controls entirely and fixed a shitload of bugs... exclusively for the PS3 ONLY.
What the fuck where they thinking?

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Guitar Hero 3 crushed me something pretty bad. I picked up GH2 at first and fell in love with it, to the stage where I'd get home from work, fire it up, play all night then go to bed. When 3 came out I was immensely excited... good looking setlist, the promise of guitar battles with the likes of Tom Morello and Slash.

Then I played it and I was like... man, it killed me. Like turning my homegirl Judy Nails into some huge-chested pin-up wasn't enough, the gameplay felt weak, there was no sense of rhythm to it at all, and there was like... a storyline? A venue in Hell?

What the hell guys?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GTA4.

After seeing all these 10/10s and "Best game I've ever played in my life!" I fully expected the most brilliant game I've played in my life. Granted, I was still skeptical, but I expected atleast an oustanding game to play.

Turns out, I just got a stripped down version of San Andreas with a better storyline.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I'll go with Ninja Gaiden 2.

Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black showed to me that you could make something unfairly difficult and cheap, as well as gory, and make something beautiful out of it, despite its flaws.

Ninja Gaiden 2 on the other hand showed me that all you can do with a game that is beautiful, gory and unfairly difficult is ramp up the blood to the levels of the SAW series and give every female character a major breast enhancement...Oh and, load it with a LOT of bugs.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm going to say Spore. I expected an open-ended "Sims theory applied to every element of evolution" sandbox. What I got was five half-baked ripoffs of other, better games (I'll give Will Wright this---it takes brass balls to blatantly and half-assedly rip off flOw, WoW, C&C, Civilization, AND Star Control 2 and call it "groundbreaking") bolted together in a hand-holding goal-oriented design package that allows the player just this side of no creative freedom at all (as someone else pointed out, the fact that part levels don't stack ultimately means it's the same five pieces just stuck in different places on a character body, more like Mr. Potato Head than The Sims).

By the time it finally released I don't know that I was still expecting a world-beater, but that the game legitimately wasn't very good even taken on its own merits...well, THAT is a disappointment. And the DRM? Tell ya what, EA. Take a syringe full of Dave's Insanity Sauce and just inject it into my urethra next time if you want to piss me off.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Ivoryagent post=9.72096.747648 said:
CIA post=9.72096.747567 said:
FF xii, square fucked up...bad.
See, to this day, I will never understand the hate for this game.

Let me ask you, what are your exact reasons for disliking the only good product Square's pumped out since FFVI?
I thought IV and VII were good too (along with FFXII). Maybe not as good as the first 6, but still good imo.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Halo 3: Boring boring boring.

And...

Supreme Commander: HOW could you mess up the RTS perfection that is TA? Good thing they didn't call it TA:2

Nohra

Aug 9, 2008
Force Unleashed needed a bit of polish, but I wouldn't say my expectations were too high from the get go. I was just expecting a more savage version of, say, Jedi Power Battles, and it delivered. It's fun force gripping Stormtroopers right into the Death Star's planet killing laser. Combos were easy and fairly intuitive, and you didn't have to beat every little minute challenge no matter how impossible or annoyingly difficult to get all your abilities (unlike JPB). Some of the 'special kill' bits for the AT-STs and whatnot were fun little rewards too, if a bit repetitive at times (could've used with a bit more variety imo).

I think Pariah was one of my biggest letdowns. I'd read reviews in advance that spoke pretty well of it, and when I finally played it, it was basically a crappy version of Halo with weapon customization, and really, really fucked dialogue. Enemies that spout the same taunt over and over and over and over and over and over again (seriously, it's like they have Tourettes, they finish saying it once and repeat it endlessly) make me wonder if they actually had any playtesters.

I've taken to browsing Metagames when I'm looking at games on Steam and going for their lowest ratings first. They tend to be more accurate, as long as they're not bitching about "blah blah blah Halo clone blah blah." A game can be a Halo clone and still be fun if it builds beyond that.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=9.72096.747490 said:
Spore greatly failed. Not nearly as epic in scope as promised, the creature creation was pitched as an unlimited possibility designer, which fell very far short of expectations. That pieces had stats, and that each level of the stat had only one piece meant all creatures would eventually have the same pieces. Total fucking ripoff. And the DRM was an added spiked dildo to the whole mess.

Hellgate London was the next most recent fail after Spore. What I was promised was Diablo 2 meets cyberpunk post-apocalyptic London. What I got was a half-baked merger of an FPS and third person shooter, with the traditional focus on graphics over gameplay, and an entire four different tilesets for the world, each as dull as the back side of a hatchet.

Crysis. I expected a cross between the awesomeness of Farcry and the open-worldness of WoW. I got the open world aspect, but the game was more sneaking about than gunplay. The power bar limits on the suit sucked ass, not enough power and why is it limited anyways? You're already telling me I have five powers but get only one at a time, so why limit it further? And then the forced vehicle sections added another nail in the coffin. The tank part was annoying, the humvee rush downhill was a real pissoff, but that dropship battle was unforgiveable. Of the three I've listed, Crysis is the only one I'll still play despite its failed promises, because it is still a decent game.
In crysis you have the prototype of the super-suit nearly every space marine will wear. With that said there will be bugs and limits, and this is before the era of master chief jumping 5m in the air while invisible and sheilds charging.

Hellion25

May 28, 2008
I guess mine would be No More Heroes. I enjoyed the game, I was just expecting it to be as enjoyable to me as Killer7 was and it didn't even come close.

On the topic of Assassin's Creed, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it after wading through all the vitriol that was sent its way. It was by no means a great game, and it had some glaring flaws (the whole stealth/blend system was just crap), but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Splintercell double agent. After the sneaky goodness that was chaos theory, we got horrible liner gameplay and some gimmicky timed missions.

pkhtjim

Sep 21, 2008
Advent Rising.

I know, I know, I didn't view the abysmal reviews of the game when I bought it new. It had great potential and unique elements for a 3rd person shooter... but oh god. I saw it's previews thinking it was going to bring back the 3rd person genre the way Max Payne and Jet Force Gemini brought to the table. Instead, the AI was dumb, the graphical glitches were higher than a Sega Saturn game, and the pondering question of how it took a novelist to write a story that Halo 2 can even overshadow.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
Indigo_Dingo post=9.72096.747740 said:
Wait, so the Ps3 version might be decent?
You [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39994.html] tell [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39996.html] me [http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40000.html]

Who the hell cares anyway?
It's PS3 exclusive and they won't give a shit about the people that already bought the pile of crap for the other systems, and the PC version is even worse than the Xbox360 version - and that is saying something.

Jamanticus

Sep 7, 2008
Crysis. I expected a cross between the awesomeness of Farcry and the open-worldness of WoW. I got the open world aspect, but the game was more sneaking about than gunplay. The power bar limits on the suit sucked ass, not enough power and why is it limited anyways? You're already telling me I have five powers but get only one at a time, so why limit it further? And then the forced vehicle sections added another nail in the coffin. The tank part was annoying, the humvee rush downhill was a real pissoff, but that dropship battle was unforgiveable. Of the three I've listed, Crysis is the only one I'll still play despite its failed promises, because it is still a decent game.
Very well-said, Khell, as usual... I disliked the whole suit energy aspect as well, so I went into the config and made it more to my liking (I think there was a point when I could fully absorb a tank round....But I pulled back the stats a bit after that.....)

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
jamanticus post=9.72096.747963 said:
Very well-said, Khell, as usual... I disliked the whole suit energy aspect as well, so I went into the config and made it more to my liking (I think there was a point when I could fully absorb a tank round....But I pulled back the stats a bit after that.....)
Um..the whole reason for the suit power is for balanced game play..if you haven't noticed. Being able to abuse any of the powers at any time by having near unlimited energy would have ruined the game, not what you 2 have been complaining about. Limited energy makes you think wisely so its not just all invis or all speed ect..I really cant see why you guys would complain about something like that when it's a perfectly fine and effective system. Remember, keyword is BALANCE.