The game you had highest expectations for that let you down

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
alone in the dark 5. had bought it for the ps2 and it was the worst waste of 40 dollars i've ever spent.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Spore, I mean... damn, I wasn't expecting a game quit so... "marketable".

I want to slap Will Wright.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I dunno, I can't think of a game that I had ungodly expectations for that DIDN'T let me down.

My next "OMFGWTFBBQHYPE!" game is LBP, and it's going to be a let down practically because I anticipate it so much.

It's like a curse.

Oh yeah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. clear sky is fun but I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF WALKING! Ugh, world is too huge.

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
When I hear the phrase "disappointing game" I immediately think of Deus Ex: Invisible War. While not a bad game in and of itself, it was just not even in the same ballpark (hell, not even playing the same fucking sport!) as the first Deus Ex.

Incidentally, if anyone out there has not played Deus Ex, it is perhaps one of the finest video games ever made. You can probably get it for cheap, and if your computer can run the internet, it can probably run Deus Ex now.

BBLIZZARD

Jun 19, 2008
Halo 3: It wasn't a fitting sequel to Halo 2, and if it didn't have the word "Halo" in the title, nobody would be talking about it.

Too Human: There was so much potential, but the controls were garbage.

Sonic Adventure: I haven't played a sonic game ever since that was put out. Just putting sonic in 3-D makes everything feel slower.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Khell_Sennet post=9.72096.747490 said:
The power bar limits on the suit sucked ass, not enough power and why is it limited anyways?
I'm guessing so that you don't speed run through the whole game? Or maybe so that eventually you can take damage? Because if the power doesn't run out, you don't take health damage. Obviously the power has to be drained eventually. It also added a bit of strategy to the whole thing.

I agree with you on Spore, though. Terrible disappointment.

pkhtjim

Sep 21, 2008
Dr Spaceman post=9.72096.748327 said:
When I hear the phrase "disappointing game" I immediately think of Deus Ex: Invisible War. While not a bad game in and of itself, it was just not even in the same ballpark (hell, not even playing the same fucking sport!) as the first Deus Ex.

Incidentally, if anyone out there has not played Deus Ex, it is perhaps one of the finest video games ever made. You can probably get it for cheap, and if your computer can run the internet, it can probably run Deus Ex now.
Amen. All of the RPG and branching storyline was stripped to a shooter-friendly environment.

Niall

Sep 14, 2008
Firstly, Spore, I haven't got to the space age yet but tribal and civilization stages are horrible.

I didn't really want to buy it but I did because MGS4 didn't get sent when I ordered my PS3, so I went and bought GTA4, it's basically a stripped down version of san andreas(read: updated version of vice city on GTA3's map), with the only unique feature(that I know of) being multiplayer. I'm probably not going to be getting any of the newer GTA games, vice city is probably the best in the series for me.

Apart from that, nothing much really. I could mention Crysis, but it isn't that bad, had a bit of fun on single player but that was partly due to the FPS aspect, and multiplayer is fine I guess, and there isn't any recent games I've bought that I can compare it it to -- wait, yes there is, Haze, a game that was a mild disappointment to me, it is at least functional(mainly a let down because of the poor graphics and some glitches, but the graphics issue is partly due to me running my PS3 on my 16:10 monitor which slightly stretches everything).

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
I'd say GTA san andreas
storyline was boring and unintuitive, gameplay was shit, map was ridiculasly large making it tedious to get around etc etc etc
I suppose by extension GTA4 (liberty city again..c'mon), but it is at least a massive steop forward (the gameplay was a lot less broken than other 3d GTA games). And at least the pedestrians are constantly saying funny shit when you hit them, the comedy of the original GTA games is what made them brilliant as oppose to just good.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
world of warcraft.....i spent years dreaming for the day when i could afford to play it and then....only to be deceived..i was crushed :"(

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Bioshock, so much hype and not enough to back it up.

Turning Point had so much going for it and then failied miserably.

Spore, they should have had you do more in the first two stages then eat or soicialize, the tribal and civilization stage were boring and the space stage felt ackward.

Too Human had potential, but had troble in implimentation

Mercenaries 2, Not smart A.I, wonkey side missions and the characters lacked some of the depth of the first game.

Mar 26, 2008
sneakypenguin post=9.72096.747748 said:
Splintercell double agent. After the sneaky goodness that was chaos theory, we got horrible liner gameplay and some gimmicky timed missions.
Totally. It was a disgrace to a brilliant franchise.

Silent Hill 4: The Room falls into the same category.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=9.72096.748488 said:
-Seraph- post=9.72096.748031 said:
Um..the whole reason for the suit power is for balanced game play..if you haven't noticed. Being able to abuse any of the powers at any time by having near unlimited energy would have ruined the game, not what you 2 have been complaining about. Limited energy makes you think wisely so its not just all invis or all speed ect..I really cant see why you guys would complain about something like that when it's a perfectly fine and effective system. Remember, keyword is BALANCE.
Balance my large and jiggly ass.

You are supposed to be a god amongst men in that suit. I've gone over this before, but that thread is long dead and buried, so once again here's how I would have done Crysis's suit better.

Option A:
Separate power meter for armor and for suit power, so even if you're in strength mode, you still get the armor ability. As you use suit powers, the power bar decreases as per normal, as you take damage, the armor bar decreases as if you were in armor mode as Crysis is now. Both suit power and armor strength regenerate when not in use. If you switch the suit to the armor setting, the armor bar regenerates faster than if left alone, while draining the suit powerbar.

This way, you still have a suit of armor on you while in combat, as opposed to using speed, strength, or stealth mode turning your defensive layer into tinfoil.

Option B: (my preference)
Whatever mode the suit is in, the power is limitless. Limitless running, limitless strength, limitless stealth, or limitless armor boost. This is how Crysis was pitched to us, and what we all expected to get. The whole suit power thing is a load of shit. If redone this way, while in armor mode, your damage taken would be cut to 1/4 for easier modes, halved for harder modes. Base armor value should also be boosted so that you aren't quite so easy to kill. The Farcry dude could withstand more damage than Crysis dude, and he only had the magical defenses of a +5 Hawaiian shirt of Ugliness. Rescale the damage to farcry levels, with the armor mode reducing it further, make it so whatever power activated is limitless, and we're good to go.

Crysis sucked more than it should have because you tend to never use the powers as intended. You rarely switch on the fly because you never have enough juice to USE a second ability.
Khell's got a good idea in option 2.

Only making it so there is some form of trade off for having an ability active.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
OverlordSteve post=9.72096.747433 said:
Mass Effect. I wanted an RPG, not a shooter. Now the only enjoyment i can get from it is making my character ugly as hell and calling him "Pixie Dust" Sheppard.
True. The RPG elements lacked in comparion to others.

For me, Killer 7. I loved the primous, the art style, the puzzle integration, the "mind raping" originality. But sence it is a rail shooter, I could not get past the desert level sence I was sick of have people respawning behind me all the time and I could never move freely and take cover as well as other defensive actions. The art aspect was great, but the gameplay would not let me experience it all. Good thing I only paid $10 US for it.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Ivoryagent post=9.72096.747648 said:
CIA post=9.72096.747567 said:
FF xii, square fucked up...bad.
See, to this day, I will never understand the hate for this game.

Let me ask you, what are your exact reasons for disliking the only good product Square's pumped out since FFVI?
Because hating change on the internet makes you cool. XII was a great step in the right direction. No good deed goes unpunished.

For me it was Shadow Hearts 3, after 2 being so great, 3 was a huge disappointment. Additionally the new Alone in the Dark for reasons already stated by everyone else.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
lol, nothing really, I just have this feeling that I'm going to expect too much out of it - take the things that are confirmed and blow them out of proportion. Though, the hands on previews pretty much confirms everything and I am going to pre-order the game soon now that it's gold.

P.S. - anyone know if SoC mods can work with Clear Sky? I'd like some cars, even if they are fragile as leaves.

EDIT: Accidently hit "post" but I forgot to say that I also fear overanticipating Far Cry 2, and Left 4 Dead - but I hope I "underanticipate" Fallout3, so that if it sucks I won't hate it as much as I would if I was anticipating it.

Duke Machine

Aug 27, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=9.72096.748488 said:
-Seraph- post=9.72096.748031 said:
Um..the whole reason for the suit power is for balanced game play..if you haven't noticed. Being able to abuse any of the powers at any time by having near unlimited energy would have ruined the game, not what you 2 have been complaining about. Limited energy makes you think wisely so its not just all invis or all speed ect..I really cant see why you guys would complain about something like that when it's a perfectly fine and effective system. Remember, keyword is BALANCE.
Balance my large and jiggly ass.

You are supposed to be a god amongst men in that suit. I've gone over this before, but that thread is long dead and buried, so once again here's how I would have done Crysis's suit better.

Option A:
Separate power meter for armor and for suit power, so even if you're in strength mode, you still get the armor ability. As you use suit powers, the power bar decreases as per normal, as you take damage, the armor bar decreases as if you were in armor mode as Crysis is now. Both suit power and armor strength regenerate when not in use. If you switch the suit to the armor setting, the armor bar regenerates faster than if left alone, while draining the suit powerbar.

This way, you still have a suit of armor on you while in combat, as opposed to using speed, strength, or stealth mode turning your defensive layer into tinfoil.

Option B: (my preference)
Whatever mode the suit is in, the power is limitless. Limitless running, limitless strength, limitless stealth, or limitless armor boost. This is how Crysis was pitched to us, and what we all expected to get. The whole suit power thing is a load of shit. If redone this way, while in armor mode, your damage taken would be cut to 1/4 for easier modes, halved for harder modes. Base armor value should also be boosted so that you aren't quite so easy to kill. The Farcry dude could withstand more damage than Crysis dude, and he only had the magical defenses of a +5 Hawaiian shirt of Ugliness. Rescale the damage to farcry levels, with the armor mode reducing it further, make it so whatever power activated is limitless, and we're good to go.

Crysis sucked more than it should have because you tend to never use the powers as intended. You rarely switch on the fly because you never have enough juice to USE a second ability.

Whine whine whine, ***** ***** *****...crysis was an awesome game...and i never had any trouble with the suit power