The Good Ending

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
The Good Ending

"I vowed to quit, and I would do so in such a melodramatic way that I convinced my editors here at The Escapist that the results would be worth documenting. I wouldn't simply do as so many before me had, click the uninstall button and privately put the whole ordeal behind me.

"I would kill my characters."

Sean Sands quits playing WoW, and goes out with a bang.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Tyler Durden:
You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. First you have to give up, first you have to know... not fear... know... that someday you're gonna die. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Sorry, it seemed fitting.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I think he was making a point. I mean look at the title, and this doesnt have a real ending, same as any MMO.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Endings! That's what MMOGs need! You should be put in charge of a clan, not a single character, and they'll get old and die in real-time!

...Anyway, I enjoyed it. Can we expect more articles like this in the future?

Repo Man

Oct 4, 2007
The thing with WoW is that it doesnt really matter if you press the Enter key or not since even if you do go ahead and delete your character you can still come back a few months later, send an E-mail to the customer support saying that you needed a break from the game and deleted your character but now want it back and you can have it restored to the point where you last logged out. Ok so your character would be naked since you threw away your gear but that can always be obtained again.

I find it interesting how it seems that a lot of WoW players seem to be unable to walk the middle path between actively playing and not playing at all, often its either one or the other. Ok a lot can depend on wich part of the game you are on and in wich kind of guild you are in, people in the so called hardcore raiding guilds may have tougher time trying to fit the game in with real life obligations due to the fear of losing a spot in the guild should they suddenly decide to cut back on gaming whereas someone who is still leveling up may be hooked to the whole questing thing and getting those missing levels.

I play/played in a casual raiding guild of a sort, we are serious about our raiding but we only raid 3 nights in a week since a lot of us have real life matters to attend to and its been working quite nicely since 3 x 3 hours in a week isnt exactly impossible to do and we've progressed into the 25 man content with Hydross the Unstable downed in SSC, Gruul and Magtheridon both have kicked the bucket and we have poked our noses into The Eye. I think we've done alright seeing that we dont raid that often when compared to some of the other guilds who raid way more and i still remember some of the reactions and crap people were throwing at us when we first announced the birth of the guild a few years ago. People were saying things like "Casuals wont get anywhere in the game" and "Have fun raiding UBRS ( 10 man instance and one of the tougher ones in the old content ) over and over again", those comments became a driving force for us to progress and we've showed the doubters repeatedly that the more casual gamer can still progress with the right attidude.

With that said however, i myself have on a few occasions got into the whole "i quit this crap" mood and decided to leave the game behind but ive come back to it eventually after realizing that its a fun game and i miss it. Ive never understood the whole deleting your character thing though and ive decided that i will never do it myself since it would be such a waste so instead ive started to simply play less. First i started to slowly cut back on the amount of hours in the game, partially due to boredom and partially because i wanted to. Then i only came online for raids and to grind some consumables for them and these grind sessions lasted only about 2 hours once per week.

Now a week ago i got a bit fed up with the attidudes of some players in the guild during raids and i found myself being quite cranky after raids so i decided that a small reboot was in place and made the decision to simply not renew my subscription for the time being wich also gave me the chance to concentrate more on the contents of The Orange Box and check out some of the new changes in EVE Online and play other games on the consoles like PGR4 and im thinking of checking out Sam & Max Season 1 and Rogue Galaxy too. When i told my guild that i havent renewed my sub, most of their reactions were similar, they all thought that im gone for good and ive once again done the whole "i quit" routine that so many have before me even though i said that i might be back as soon as the next week, some members have been sending me PM's on the forums asking if im alright and all kinds of hassle and some people who i used to communicate with regulary via different instant messaging programs have now suddenly stopped communicating with me almost completely.

The lack of communications outside of the game from some members wasnt the thing that surprised me. What did surprise me was the thinking of several people, a lot of the guildies seem to think that ive completely quit the game just because i decided to go away for a week or so.

Squiglish

Mar 26, 2004
I tried a few times to quit WoW that never really came to anything, what cinched it eventually was when a few key guildmates left and suddenly it wasn't really worth playing anymore. My character is still there in the great blizzard nether but all I havn't played nor been tempted to for some time. Felt great to trash my items though :p

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Repo Man said:
I find it interesting how it seems that a lot of WoW players seem to be unable to walk the middle path between actively playing and not playing at all, often its either one or the other. Ok a lot can depend on wich part of the game you are on and in wich kind of guild you are in, people in the so called hardcore raiding guilds may have tougher time trying to fit the game in with real life obligations due to the fear of losing a spot in the guild should they suddenly decide to cut back on gaming whereas someone who is still leveling up may be hooked to the whole questing thing and getting those missing levels.
Too bad the "you know, you're quite replaceable" realization comes far too late for many. :) Hardcore raiding guilds really are a charming assembly line: many have come before you, and many more will come after you. The purp you cry over losing tonight will be replaceable in a month - and in the end, it doesn't really matter. The turnover rate in raiding is astounding, as is the burn out rate. Once you realize this, it's quite easy to get off that treadmill. But I agree. There really are not many people trying out the middle path, and I dare say WoW isn't inclined to cater to them, either.

When i told my guild that i havent renewed my sub, most of their reactions were similar, they all thought that im gone for good and ive once again done the whole "i quit" routine that so many have before me even though i said that i might be back as soon as the next week, some members have been sending me PM's on the forums asking if im alright and all kinds of hassle and some people who i used to communicate with regulary via different instant messaging programs have now suddenly stopped communicating with me almost completely.
Here's a story you'll probably find familiar: in reference to a guildmate that up and quit for no discernible reason (speculation is rampant he merely changed servers), a few people decided to speculate on the topic. Another person jumped in to the conversation with something very similar to the effect of, "it's done, it's over, as far as I'm concerned, they no longer exist". Many people think this way, sad but true.

All this aside, a wonderful article, Sean. I hope you pressed that enter key, too.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Oh, I loved this article...mainly because I've been there and done it! Nobody cares about my story but talk about looking back and thinking how much time I had wasted almost made me puke. So, what do I do now? Play consoles of course :)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Once I give up up never go back!

I can not stand the grind and low fun value of MMOs I am generally sick of them after a day or 2 now, this was after I played FF11...I shall never forget the horror *sucks thumb in fetal position*.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Repo Man said:
the thing is that most people tend to "suck" the "most" out of what they are "paying" for, why spend so many money in a subscription if you dont intend to play for as long as you can?? that 1 month (or be it any time) subscription can go away in a flash and if i ever bought that game, i would make sure I damn played to get my money´s worth

well, thats what I would do anywhay.