The Gravewalker Terrifies in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
The Gravewalker Terrifies in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer

The new trailer for Shadow of Mordor shows how the orcs see the game's protagonist.

The newest game in the J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings universe, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, will launch on October 7th and this new trailer shares the perspective of the game's enemies. Talion, known as Gravewalker to the orcs, gets to show off his stealth and combat skills and his ability to control enemies by placing his hand on them. Oh, and the inability to die, apparently.

It's a fairly dense trailer for just under two minutes, explaining the motivations - manpain and revenge - for Talion, showcasing some of his in-game abilities during the cinematic, and adding character to his foes. The game boasts some impressive mechanics for enemies with the Nemesis system, which allows for a even simple, unimportant orc to return throughout the game and develop as an opponent with its history with Talion.

If you want more information on the game, our own Greg Tito spent some time [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11492-We-Are-All-Orcs-in-Shadow-of-Mordor-Hands-on"]playing Shadow of Mordor and talking to the developer[/a].

Source: [a href="https://www.shadowofmordor.com/"]Shadow of Mordor website[/a]

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Did they change the protagonist's name from Talion to Talios while I was not looking ?

The game still looks promising, probably not gonna get the preo-order, but the game surely.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This trailer is much more interesting than that terrible cliche-filled one they had out a few months(?) ago, showing how Tailos came to be who he is now.

I really think this game is going to come down to the gameplay, and whether or not this Nemesis system lives up to its promise. Because if it doesn't, I fear this game is going to fall apart from a boring hero and from messing with the Lord of the Rings lore.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
shadowxvii said:
Did they change the protagonist's name from Talion to Talios while I was not looking ?
Oops. Guess I was thinking about Talos from Elder Scrolls. Thanks for pointing that out.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I am quite hyped for this, and have actually pre ordered it on gamestop. It looks and sounds like it will be very fun to play. As long as the gameplay holds up to what it promises of course.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
While I'm quite looking forward to this game, I think they've made a bit of a mistake releasing it on the same day as Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
This trailer is much more interesting than that terrible cliche-filled one they had out a few months(?) ago, showing how Tailos came to be who he is now.

I really think this game is going to come down to the gameplay, and whether or not this Nemesis system lives up to its promise. Because if it doesn't, I fear this game is going to fall apart from a boring hero and from messing with the Lord of the Rings lore.
Yeah, that trailer actually killed a lot of my interest in the game. Just so generic it killed me. Luckily Greg Tito's preview of it brought me back. I also agree that the nemesis system will make or break the game. It's really all it has going for it.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
While I'm quite looking forward to this game, I think they've made a bit of a mistake releasing it on the same day as Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Yep, thought the same thing. One game has a pretty large fan-base. The other is a new IP in a popular setting. Wonder who will win? Let's just say I'm glad I'm not going to be in school when these come out.

OT: I enjoyed the new trailer. Like Sniper said, it was a lot better than the other one and increased my interest. The villain seems rather interesting as well.

Mike Hoffman

Sep 25, 2013
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
It's rough. I'm planning on grabbing a TV, PS4 and this game, DA:I and Destiny this fall. All a month before finals haHA!
Elfgore said:
Yeah, that trailer actually killed a lot of my interest in the game. Just so generic it killed me. Luckily Greg Tito's preview of it brought me back. I also agree that the nemesis system will make or break the game. It's really all it has going for it.
I was only interested in this at all because it was LotR, but it still sounded boring. Then the first trailer was so bland. Tito's preview started to get me hyped and then hearing what Troy Baker is doing with the voice finally got me on board. This trailer kind of just sealed the deal. Thank god Batman got delayed.

Doomer08

Mar 17, 2014
It has been a long time since I've wanted a Lord of the Rings game. Hopefully it's a good one.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Another hero smouldering with generic rage and a big step outside of LotR canon and lore by the looks of it...still the gameplay might save it...shame we didn't see much