The Great Final Fantasy Retrospective - Let's Mosey

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Square is parading around this fucking demo and i want them to out it out for everybody so i cans plays it! My precious! I needs it!!!!

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
He loves the game. He considers it one of the best games of all time. You have nothing to fear or be angry about.

IIRC Critical thought 6 was overrated though, so maybe fear and anger aren’t entirely off the table.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
He loves the game. He considers it one of the best games of all time. You have nothing to fear or be angry about.
It's a good video.

IIRC Critical thought 6 was overrated though, so maybe fear and anger aren’t entirely off the table.
Over rated for me, but I can't deny that it's one of the greatest RPG ever made. People say FF7 is over rated too, so it's just kind of a weird perspective in that regard.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Over rated for me, but I can't deny that it's one of the greatest RPG ever made. People say FF7 is over rated too, so it's just kind of a weird perspective in that regard.
Both games are great for what they do and what they achieved at the time. I don't find either overrated, but FFVII got over marketed in the mid 2000s with tie-ins, spin offs, and crossovers.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Both games are great for what they do and what they achieved at the time. I don't find either overrated, but FFVII got over marketed in the mid 2000s with tie-ins, spin offs, and crossovers.
FF7 got all that extra shit because it was the first FF game to be a major major hit thanks to the help of Sony's backing and marketing. But also the time in which it came out when a generation of gamers were just hitting the right age for that game to click in a major way.

Part of 7's success is simply lucky timing, and that's widely admitted.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This also reminded me of ProJared's video from a few years ago.

I'm kinda surprised with how similar their video formats are; They both seems to be a bit more serious with their reviews, has tons of praise for certain aspects in the game, while not afraid to make a few jokes here and there.
Projared's FF series has been wonderful so far. His video on 13 should be soonish.

Neverknowsbest also has a fantastic video on this

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
FF7 got all that extra shit because it was the first FF game to be a major major hit thanks to the help of Sony's backing and marketing. But also the time in which it came out when a generation of gamers were just hitting the right age for that game to click in a major way.

I know; I saw it all happen too. The over marketing is part of my point on the whole "FFVII is overrated" perception partially came from. Hype from the more zealous was not helping either. Both VI's and VII's are overrated arguments aren't even hot takes anymore. They've been argued to death, and most react with a whatever nowadays and move on.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Yeah, and despite FF8 and onwards being pretty decent, I don't think it ever got the same marketing hype as FF7.

In fact, I only remember seeing only one marketing stuff that wasn't about FF7, and it was this FF9/coca-cola commercial.

It somehow made it over to South Korea, and I remember seeing it on TV or at elec. outlet mall. I didn't even know what "FF9" even was! I just thought it was a upcoming 3d animated series and they had CC commerical. Such practices were/are very common in SK/JPN. As I grew older and was exposed to more games, I got to experience more FF7-related stuff (thanks, Kingdom Hearts!), but my mind would always remember this commercial.

So I guess I owe to CC for introducing me to the FF series for the first time, without me even knowing?

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, and despite FF8 and onwards being pretty decent, I don't think it ever got the same marketing hype as FF7.
I dunno FF9 and FFX are pretty high rated and well liked games. I think FF12 is where shit went downhill. Which is something I mostly blame on Square's obsession with graphics. To an insane degree. It wasn't until FF14's original launch that they sort of started to learn the lesson in that graphics don't beat gameplay. But yeah 12, 13, 14 (og) and 15 all where crazy graphical slogs which fucked with how long the games took to make and affected the actual game part of them.

I think with Remake Square is trying to turn a new leaf and do what Capcom has done in recent years with a fairly decent turn around of making great games and remakes. No company is so unliked that making some great games can't bring back favorable opinion of them in the public eye. Just some studios never seem to learn that lesson.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I dunno FF9 and FFX are pretty high rated and well liked games. I think FF12 is where shit went downhill. Which is something I mostly blame on Square's obsession with graphics. To an insane degree. It wasn't until FF14's original launch that they sort of started to learn the lesson in that graphics don't beat gameplay. But yeah 12, 13, 14 (og) and 15 all where crazy graphical slogs which fucked with how long the games took to make and affected the actual game part of them.

I think with Remake Square is trying to turn a new leaf and do what Capcom has done in recent years with a fairly decent turn around of making great games and remakes. No company is so unliked that making some great games can't bring back favorable opinion of them in the public eye. Just some studios never seem to learn that lesson.
Advent Children is back.

Reactions: CriticalGaming