The great "is it a Christmas movie" debate

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So some films are explicitly Christmas movies like say Miracle of 34th Street or Jingle All The Way

Others there is debate over. E.G. Die Hard though Die Hard 2 explicitly states it's on Christmas Eve.

So time to make the argument for some films that you believe are non traditional Christmas films or should count as them though they're not explicit about it.

My submission.

Small Soldiers

My argument:

The film is about the release of a hot new toy line which the main selling period for such things is Christmas, with the idea being major shipments are being set to one of the major toy stores.

Throughout most of the film while outside everyone wears coats and often sweaters too.

The female lead in the film wears a distinctly Christmassy fleece jumper thing.

MV5BMjM1NzQ1NDQwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjY4OTIwMjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1280_.jpg

Banners early in the film are advertising the towns own Octoberfest

MV5BM2Q4MTgzYjEtZTU5YS00MTBjLWFmZDgtYTJmZmQ4NTY3NjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

MV5BOGVjNTVmNDQtOWYyOC00NTZkLTgyOWQtZDExZTdkYjIwYjJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1...jpg

So over to you.

What are you non traditional Christmas films?

Do you think Small Soldiers should count or does it need to explicitly reference Christmas to count?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So some films are explicitly Christmas movies like say Miracle of 34th Street or Jingle All The Way

Others there is debate over. E.G. Die Hard though Die Hard 2 explicitly states it's on Christmas Eve.

So time to make the argument for some films that you believe are non traditional Christmas films or should count as them though they're not explicit about it.

My submission.

Small Soldiers

My argument:

The film is about the release of a hot new toy line which the main selling period for such things is Christmas, with the idea being major shipments are being set to one of the major toy stores.

Throughout most of the film while outside everyone wears coats and often sweaters too.

The female lead in the film wears a distinctly Christmassy fleece jumper thing.

View attachment 2266

Banners early in the film are advertising the towns own Octoberfest

View attachment 2265

View attachment 2267

So over to you.

What are you non traditional Christmas films?

Do you think Small Soldiers should count or does it need to explicitly reference Christmas to count?
Small Soldiers is in the style of films like Gremlins anyway, so in a round about way it does kind of count. Even though the movie clearly takes place during the fall. If you want to count it, go right ahead. I ain't stopping you.

My list. I'm including games and TV too
  • Die Hard
  • Die Hard 2
  • Parasite Eve
  • Gremlins
  • First Blood
  • The Death Race remake. Yes, it takes place during Christmas.
  • The Big O has an episode that's the equivalent of Christmas, called Heavens Day.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Well, here's my sideways take on it.

In most action movies, we're in it for the fighting, the kicking, the violence, and the awesomeness of all of that.

And there's usually a tacked on love story.

Think of the Matrix. Who cares how Trinity and Neo felt. Get back to the Gun-Fu. But since there was a love story in the movie, does it make it a romance flick?

The answer would probably be a resounding no. Whatever the movie's central conceit, that's what you name it as. Everything else is a backdrop.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Any romance with Keanu is....wooden at best.
It’s funny actually, of all the ones I’ve seen with Reeves, the Matrix is the one I like best. Carrie Anne Moss has a similar sort of subdued personality to Reeves and I think they connect in a believable if unconventional way. Could have done without seeing them fuck in that cave in Matrix Revolution though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It’s funny actually, of all the ones I’ve seen with Reeves, the Matrix is the one I like best. Carrie Anne Moss has a similar sort of subdued personality to Reeves and I think they connect in a believable if unconventional way. Could have done without seeing them fuck in that cave in Matrix Revolution though.
Well honestly, despite what I said, yeah I do think they had pretty good chemistry in that series. The extended fuck scene/interspliced with a giant rave orgy did go on a TAAAAD too long. I actually liked the scene just fine, I think they should've just edited it down by like, well over a minute or more

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I dunno, I don't really give a toss about trying to "define" genres, if it's good it's good basically. And if it's got snow, I'm throwing it in the Christmas bin, that's about it really. Honourable mentions include Hanna, Fargo, 30 Days of Night, Revenant, Let the Right one in, Horizon Zero Dawn Frozen Wastes DLC, March of the Penguins and much more.

Christmas is all about inclusivity, right?

😉

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Any romance with Keanu is....wooden at best.
Honestly, I feel Keanu is a good actor, that gets goofed on way too much, because of his role in Bill & Ted. The dude has subtle acting and usually does fine depending the material that is given to him. Especially when he does something different or out of his comfort zone. The dude has range, despite what certain others may say.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Honestly, I feel Keanu is a good actor, that gets goofed on way too much, because of his role in Bill & Ted. The dude has subtle acting and usually does fine depending the material that is given to him. Especially when he does something different or out of his comfort zone. The dude has range, despite what certain others may say.
Eh, I disagree that he's got a lot of range. I've seen him in roles where he's supposed to play someone with emotions, and it's very hit or miss for me how well he actually does at feeling realistic. I like the guy, and I like most of his roles, including some of his more under appreciated films, but I still don't think he's got a lot of range, and is better when he's left in his comfort zone.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eh, I disagree that he's got a lot of range. I've seen him in roles where he's supposed to play someone with emotions, and it's very hit or miss for me how well he actually does at feeling realistic. I like the guy, and I like most of his roles, including some of his more under appreciated films, but I still don't think he's got a lot of range, and is better when he's left in his comfort zone. I think he would do well if they paired him with a more emotive actor, in a duo kind of setup, where he's the straight man of the pair. It usually plays better for him in my opinion.