The Great Xmas Blizzard of 2022?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
How was my google search "how to correct a slide" not getting the answer to my question? That was what you were b!tching about.
Oh you're serious.
Okay, for a start, the language. Using the google search 'how to correct a slide' will likely skip more basic entries as it's asking a more specific technical skill.

Googling the original question, 'what is the first thing you should do when your car starts sliding in snow' or my variant 'what should I do if I slide on snow', will get you results oriented from step 0, assuming no knowledge.

Asking how to correct a slide is just enough for it to assume you know the basics and are after the next step.

They're both asking for similar information but in a different way. Learning you don't see the distinction both reaffirms my joke about you being shit at google, but gives surprising insight on you and your arguments as a whole.

And for a finale, THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU FUCKING ASKED US, CLOWN.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, because it made sense to multiply by two. Multiplying the number of prizes available doesn't multiply the number of competitors.
Dude, it makes exactly the same amount of sense in both cases. We're not multiplying prizes or competitors. We're both multiplying the same thing: the number of chances.

Literally the only difference here is that to begin with you wanted the number to be higher for illustrative purposes, and the second time you want it to be lower.

I'm not finding the list you're pulling from. Googling the answer keeps telling me 1947 and 1963 each had a super cold winter in the UK, with 1963 being repeatedly referred to as the coldest winter since 1740. Also, your numbers add to 12 of the top 10.

(3 are in joint 10th, hence 12 entries).

You cannot pretend this is normal and expected. Zero entries for the first 62 years of records; 12 entries for the last 50, massively weighted towards the last 20.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Dude, it makes exactly the same amount of sense in both cases. We're not multiplying prizes or competitors. We're both multiplying the same thing: the number of chances.

Literally the only difference here is that to begin with you wanted the number to be higher for illustrative purposes, and the second time you want it to be lower.
Do you actually not get this, or are you screwing with me?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Do you actually not get this, or are you screwing with me?
I get what you're trying to do: sample the data in as convenient a way as possible, depending on what you hope to find.

We have more than enough data points. If the situation were stable overall we would see an average decline in broken records over time. We see the exact opposite-- very markedly so. Climatologists agree it points to a trend; and indeed the trend itself is highly evident even if we look beyond record highs and lows.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I get what you're trying to do: sample the data in as convenient a way as possible, depending on what you hope to find.

We have more than enough data points. If the situation were stable overall we would see an average decline in broken records over time. We see the exact opposite-- very markedly so. Climatologists agree it points to a trend; and indeed the trend itself is highly evident even if we look beyond record highs and lows.
You really don't get it, understood.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You really don't get it, understood.
You've not actually made a point in reply, and this is a pretty feeble evasion.

We have enough datapoints. The "thousands of years" deflection was bunk, and climatologists unanimously agree the severity is increasing. You can condescendingly shake your head all you like, but it's tremendously unconvincing to anyone reading.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Oh you're serious.
Okay, for a start, the language. Using the google search 'how to correct a slide' will likely skip more basic entries as it's asking a more specific technical skill.

Googling the original question, 'what is the first thing you should do when your car starts sliding in snow' or my variant 'what should I do if I slide on snow', will get you results oriented from step 0, assuming no knowledge.

Asking how to correct a slide is just enough for it to assume you know the basics and are after the next step.

They're both asking for similar information but in a different way. Learning you don't see the distinction both reaffirms my joke about you being shit at google, but gives surprising insight on you and your arguments as a whole.

And for a finale, THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU FUCKING ASKED US, CLOWN.
You don't google exact questions, this isn't AskJeeves...

Why is asking how to correct a slide assuming you know the basics when they are telling which way to turn the wheel? That's super fucking basic.

Also, 2 of 3 people that answered did get it wrong and they could've used google any which way they wanted to.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
You are continuing to argue in spite of the fact we got different google results and mine provided the answer you were looking for in almost all the top results.
There is obviously a difference.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You've not actually made a point in reply, and this is a pretty feeble evasion.

We have enough datapoints. The "thousands of years" deflection was bunk, and climatologists unanimously agree the severity is increasing. You can condescendingly shake your head all you like, but it's tremendously unconvincing to anyone reading.
I mean, it's a lazy response, certainly. But I genuinely don't know how to continue from here.

If you care about 2 types of record, you don't expect to set records often.
If you care about 100 records, and have 100 years of data, you'd expect to set about a record every year for quite a while yet.
If you care about 4 types of stats (high, low, precipitation, and wind) for 365 days a year in 195 countries, and have 100 years of data, you expect to set almost 3000 national weather records across the globe collectively on a normal year. It would take 780 years of data before you average fewer than 1 of those records per day.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You are continuing to argue in spite of the fact we got different google results and mine provided the answer you were looking for in almost all the top results.
There is obviously a difference.
There is not a consistent result in whichever search you do and that's why I asked the question. Both search results we have the answer in the first page but if you check a few different pages, you'll get different answers or more so certain things left out.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
There is not a consistent result in whichever search you do and that's why I asked the question. Both search results we have the answer in the first page but if you check a few different pages, you'll get different answers or more so certain things left out.
90% of the top results on both the searches I did had the desired answer. Only your bad googling was inconsistent. How hard is it for you to just admit you were wrong about something?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
90% of the top results on both the searches I did had the desired answer. Only your bad googling was inconsistent. How hard is it for you to just admit you were wrong about something?
I literally googled what you did and the 1st 5 or so pages aren't consistent answers...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How hard is it for you to just admit you were wrong about something?
You do realize who you're dealing with? Don't know why anyone bothers with him at this point? He's been nothing, but a narcissistic sociopath the entire time. Guy ain't even worth arguing with. I learned that years ago. Though it is important to call him when says something that is stupid and false, that he's not fooling anyone, unless they're already that gullible.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I literally googled what you did and the 1st 5 or so pages aren't consistent answers...
5 PAGES. How desperate are you to be right at some level that you're averaging it out over 5 pages. Most google searches get inconsistent when it's 5 pages deep.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
We had another storm today in Michigan. Started at 5AM and ended an hour early at 7PM. Thankfully, they already started on the streets and roads. Boss let me go early again.